Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Was Santa good to your roses?

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

I was thrilled with Santa's choices for me this year. I got a beautiful bonsai saw with a very narrow blade so I can get down into the crowns of the roses to take out those ugly dead stumps. I also got a set of those pot lifters!! I think they'll make much easier work of taking the pots in and out of winter storage. But the best gift was from my dear enabling brother who gave me money to buy NEW ROSES! Yippee! Now I can spend the winter pouring over roses trying to decide which ones I want, lol!

Comments (16)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Seil that is so wonderful!

What roses are you drooling over so far? I find myself logging into heirloomroses to try and "narrow down my wishlist" and then I end up adding to it! Good thing I have a few months left to decide. :P

My grandparents got me a pair of gardening shears which I've found I can never have enough of!

• marcindy
    9 years ago

Seil, you will love that Bonsai saw. I have one for my bonsai trees and end up using it a lot for pruning shrubs and branches in hard to reach spots.

And I don't know about you all, but gift cards and money for " a few more treasures" is always a great gift in my book.

This year I ended up on the nice list again and Santa brought me two The Lady Gardener roses and two Belle Story roses from David Austin... I can't wait to get them in the mail...lol And apparently Santa also considered those four roses not quite enough and generously allowed me to spend a little more on a few other roses... like you TheGardenAt902 I am pouring over catalogs and websites right now. Best thing to do in winter...lol

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I asked for gift certs and pruners, but no one gets them for me.

I did get two full truck loads of pine wood chips just before Christmas from my tree guy. He had just put new blades in his chipper so they were mostly smaller than the large sized bark one would buy at a box store. There were some cones and bigger parts, but over all perfect stuff. I had 3 different neighbors come over and ask where I bought chips.

My feet will thank me for that nice soft surface to walk on and the dirt is nearly covered out side of the veggie garden.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Santa was quite good to me in regards to roses! I received a very nice pair of leather gauntlets from my aunt that I almost don't want to use! They're in a very lovely dark-tan color.

My mom and I ended up swapping some roses/plants. I gave her Gruss an Coburg, The Impressionist, Clotilde Soupert, Xiang Fen Lian, Souvenir de St. Anne, and a Tree Dahlia. She fell for Clotilde Soupert and SdSA at the Huntington this Spring where I warned her they may not succeed by the coast, but her desire to try them hasn't waned. She gave me bare roots of Carding Mill and Queen of Sweden which should be lovely! She has an own root QoS doing well and I read terrific things about Carding Mill here on the forum.

I'm sure you'll have fun picking, Seil! It always is! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Jay

Ed: I should add that marcindy is very right and I was fortunate to receive gift cards to two garden centers including Rogers Gardens in Orange County which is always a fun visit. My sister also brought down a few cool plants from Annie's Annuals like Cantua 'Hot Pants,' Puya coerulea, and some others.

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 22:00

9 years ago

marcindy - I'm glad I'm not the only one!! It's so therapeutic when you can't get outside and garden. I swear I'm having withdrawals...

It's lucky for my wallet that Heirloom Roses doesn't have anything in stock from my wishlist yet or I'd be buying roses.... ;o)

Michaela

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I only wanted one thing for the garden this year and Santa brought it for me. A pair of Corona Looping Shears. The big ones. Two inch cut. I REALLY needed them. It was almost impossible to cut some of those huge canes on my older roses.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I, too, have added to a list of must haves or removed a must have while painstakingly trying to shrink the list!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I was so excited to get a gift cert for both rogue valley roses and antique rose emporium ! I too keep checking their selection and wishing away and googling everything that looks pretty .
    Also my dh bought a garden weasel weed tool that we needed . We took turns on Christmas Day popping out those horrible Thorny dandelions !
    My fav gift of all is my new pergola ... I'm still figuring out the roses for it but I believe I will be doing Mel's heritage and madame Alfred carriere. Need clematis for it too !

Here it is on the lot of the outdoor furniture place

{{gwi:2121262}}

I hope everyone enjoys the treasures they received !! :)

9 years ago

lilyfinch, I just laughed out loud at your comment about those thorny dandelion weeds. Those are my nemesis. I garden a lot without gloves and will accidentally pull one of those and instantly regret it.

Your pergola is absolutely beautiful. i bet that's going to be breathtaking with roses and clematis on it!

Michaela

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Thank you michaela! I'm excited about it too. If you can spare the 25/30 dollars , the garden weasel is excellent ! My dh laughed when I sent him the link and told him I wanted it . But then I had to tell him he was taking the fun out of it when he wouldn't share ! It really does a nice hands free job . Well hands free from touching the dandelions .

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like Santa was very good to everyone! I haven't really had time to go shopping yet because I still have a houseful of guests. But they go home soon and then I'll be on all the sites hunting! I haven't decided if I want OGRs or more minis. I like them both but...I have to look at what kind of space I have available I think.

A Happy, Healthy and Rosey New Year to you all!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I think I have an early version of the Garden Weasel, guess I might have to try it. My dad loved those different tools, he would buy/order them and then they would sit hidden away in the spare bedroom closet. Mom thought they were expensive so best to keep them safe....must have driven dad nuts.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

How fun!
    Santa was VERY GOOD to my garden giving me a large gift certificate to David Austin's roses (and a copy of his book, The English Roses). Not to mention gardening tools in my stocking.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, I think I have the older weasel too. I did use it some but my ground is so hard most of the time it really doesn't dig in enough.

Ooo, I'm jealous, dsd! I'm looking to get a couple more Austins...in any color but yellow! I have two yellows and nothing else so I want to diversify, lol.

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

Some tomato seed mats, sealskinz warm waterproof gloves, 3 blocks of organic, fair-trade compressed coir, a pair of lovely Razorsharp Spear & Jackson secateurs, a Crocus gift certificate (already ordered a viburnum, Charles Lamont) and three roses of my choice (postage included) from Peter Beales, which I am pleasurably dithering over. Deuil de Paul Fontaine, Deschamps, Golden Moss, Alfred Coloumb, and Enfant de France are all on the short list.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great short list! Let us know which ones you pick!