Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice storm! Think they'll survive?

Posted by redwolfdoc 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 13:19

Our house has been without power for going on 72 hours now; it's down to 4C inside (that's 39F for you south of the border types) and we don't know where we're going to have Christmas, yet I still have some concern to spare for my roses! :)

Anyone have any experience with roses whose canes are encased in ice? I still have hope...

Here's poor Julia Child
 photo DSCN6860_zpsa08d6cda.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice storm! Think they'll survive?

We just reassured Josh (TX) over on the Antique Roses forum. Some of the posts there should help you out and put your worries to rest.

Hope you house heat come back soon--we just went part of one night without here in Kansas. No fun.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen Roses (Antique Roses forum)

o

Thank you Kate, that thread IS reassuring!

The cold and dark house is no fun indeed. Though there's always a bright side, and the lack of electronics does translate to more family time!
In any case, I'm sure we'll be back up and running soon. Work crews are going above and beyond to get it going again as fast as possible. In the meantime we're warm and dry at friends'.

o

I'm more concerned about your lack of house heat right now than the roses. Heirloom Roses just sent me a mailing that said spraying down roses so they are encased in ice is a good way to prepare roses for winter. The ice at 32 degrees acts as insulation. The roots are what you need to protect.
My roses lost their blooms a long time ago, and are deep in dormancy. We've had terribly cold weather since November, so I was surprised to see those recent blooms on JC in your cold zone, redwolfdoc. Diane

o

Thanks Diane. I might sound glib about the house heat, but it has been a hardship. Luckily, family elsewhere in the city got their heat back earlier today, so we do have somewhere to go now. Outside is in the -15 range (5F) and inside our house is approaching freezing. We've taken steps for the pipes and taken our cat with us to warmer shores.

We actually had a pretty balmy November. Wet, but not particularly cold. December has been a different story!

Sounds like the roses should weather this well, if you'll pardon the pun. Or at least I oughtn't lose hope just yet!

o

I hope all turns out well with the heating situation!
God Bless!

o

• Posted by lsst 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 19:29

I hope you have heat soon. Take care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here