Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnette_gw

advertising !!

lynnette
10 years ago

Am I the only one getting that irritating IViillage advert? I am on a Mac and usually don't get any on this site.

Comments (31)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I also get it opening on each new page. I am in the process of writing GW to voice my displeasure. I realize Adverts keep this site open but this is a little much. It is really annoying on devices where it is hard to get to the continue button.

• lynnette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well now I am another member that has voiced a negative opinion to GW about how offensive the ad is.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Yes, I can't figure out what I am doing that makes them pop up. Mine are iVillage too.
    grrrr.
    Susan

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Me too. Don't know why my ad-block doesn't suppress those--it catches all the other ads.

Anyone know a way to update ad-block to make these ads disappear?

Kate

• lynnette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is a newer version of AdBlock for Macs so there must be one for PCs too. It is called AdBlock Plus. I now have it on my Mac and don't get the IVillage ad anymore. Just make sure you check the date on the blurb about a program before downloading. They usually have an update to keep up with the clever ad men.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I added the newer version AdBlock Plus--but I'm still getting ads appearing in the right-hand column of this page -- although they do not appear on the more general Roses Forum page.

Any one else seeing the chocolate cookies ad and mantles decoration ad (etc.) on their page? Any other suggestions how to suppress those ads?

Thanks,

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Yeah I see them too. That must be what they were doing when they did an update of the website last week. I have a feeling it's not something we can block out with Adblock. These ads don't bother me nearly as much as the pop-ups and floating ones. They do have to pay for this website somehow, and unless we're willing to make donations, this is what they have to do. I don't mind it so much, but it would be more tolerable if they would widen the area here where we post, and get rid of the background part. That's a lot of wasted space.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I am sick of the chocolate cookies, but I don't think Adblock will do anything about it. Ebay has done the same thing for quite a while. I think these are "internal" promotions that Adblock must regard as just an integral part of the website. I have made a note to myself to ask my genius engineer son in law to check it out. If he can't figure it out, no one can (sorry to brag, but the man blows my mind with his computer skills). Diane

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

You can resize your browser on the screen (make it more narrow) so the chocolate cookies and the xmas mantle don't show. At least I can do that on mine.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I got rid of the chocolate cookies and brussels sprouts, but the iVillage text ads seem to be un-block-able. :-(

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Jeri--how did you get rid of chocolate cookies ad, etc?

Here's an odd one for you:
    I got rid of the iVillage text ads (quite some time ago--with AdBlock), but the chocolate cookies ads seem to be unblockable on my computer.

I have an IE browser. Do you? If the browser doesn't account for the difference, I don't know what does. : (

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Guys, have any of you actually clicked on the links? These are not exactly "ads." At least not paid ads like the pop-up ones. These are links to other forums on the GW, like the Cooking Forum, the Home Decorating Forum, etc. They're trying to entice us to check out the other forums, other than gardening. So I don't think they're going to be easy to get rid of.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Guess I'm not clear on what "links" you folks are talking about. Those in-text ones--suddenly words in your post have link lines under them? In that case, AdBlock got rid of those a long time ago.

Or are you talking about the links underneath the ad pictures in the right-hand column? Or the list of "Most Recent Posts" in the right-hand column? In either of those cases, I don't know how to get rid of them--though I don't really object to the "Most Recent Posts" list. Sure would like to get rid of the ads in the right-hand column however.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I was talking about the links under the so-called "ads" at the right side... like the cookies, the mantle, the brussels sprouts. Those take you to other forums here on the GardenWeb website. If you're still seeing links in the posts, you need to download an ad blocker for your browser to make them disappear.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Nope, no links in the posts.

What I'm wishing I could get rid of are the ads (cookies, mantle, Brussels sprouts) on the right.

Kate

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Add a filter for:

http://graphics.gardenweb.com/graphics/

All sorts of garbage disappears.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

When I tried your address, mad, it comes up "FORBIDDEN!". Must not want us to get rid of those adds, lol.

• Jsmith1776
    10 years ago

Ad-block will get rid of those annoying "Ads" on this page. Although it is not an ad. Right click on the ad, select Adblock/Block an Ad on this page. A pop-up window appears, move the slider bar to the right until all the ads you want gone in the main window in the background. I leave "Most Recent Post" I like those for now. If that does not work, you are not doing it right. I don't work for Adblock. I am just a user.

To Undo the Changes: Right click anywhere on the page. Select AdBlock/Undo my Blocks on this Domain

This post was edited by Jsmith1776 on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 14:49

• Jsmith1776
    10 years ago

Here is a video I made for the instructions above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube Video

This post was edited by Jsmith1776 on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 14:35

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

This just isn't working. I updated my AdBlock the other day, but when I right-click on the ad in the right-hand column, nothing comes up listed as AdBlock--so I'm shot down even before I get started.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I'm tellin' you guys, those are not "ADs" in the sense of the usual annoying floating, invasive, blatant paid ads that the adblockers will remove. These are links to other forums here on the GardenWeb. This is iVillage's way of trying to entice you to visit other forums on the GardenWeb website. The cookie one and the brussels sprouts one take you to the Cooking Forum. The wreath with the mantle takes you to the Home Decorating & Design Forum. You can't block these out. They belong to iVillage and are a part of the website now. I imagine after Xmas, they will change the photos and links and show something else to tempt you to go to one of the other forums. I personally don't find these particularly bothersome, compared to the stupid pop-up and floating ads that are there if you don't have the adblocker on.

• Jsmith1776
    10 years ago

Adblock and Adblock Plus are two different products release by two different entities. My instructions are for Adblock only. If you are a Mac user, you want to use Adblock, it support Safari and Chrome. Adblock Plus does not support Safari. My two cents for what it is worth.

• Jsmith1776
    10 years ago

Beth,

I know those are not ADS that these people are annoyed about. I am merely posting instructions on how to get rid of the "annoying ADS"
    Adblock is working like it should. It has removed the ADS. The video shows how to remove the remaining content that is annoying the people.

• lynnette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news. Adblock Plus now does support Safari.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I have ADblock Plus (IE browser) and haven't seen pop-ups and floating ads and such for years--but I still don't see how to get rid of the "remaining content that is annoying people."

By "annoying content" do you mean what Beth was talking about--"the links to other GW forums," as she put it? Or are we talking about something different?

My question is, how do I get rid of the chocolate cookie image, the mantle image, and the brussel sprouts image? Is the answer that there is no way to do that?

Why do I think we are all talking at cross-purposes?

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 7:58

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Kate, yes, I'm talking about the cookie image, the mantle image and the brussels sprouts image. Those will not go away. They are iVillage's links to other forums.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

I'll try this again.

AdBlock Plus puts a small red stop sign at the bottom left hand corner. Click on that. It will put up a menu of options. Select 'Click on Blockable Items'. That will put up a list at the bottom of the page of everything that can be blocked. The cookies and other things start out
    http://graphics.gardenweb.com/graphics, and end up with cookie, etc. If you click on any of those, ABP will ask if you want to add a new filter, and what, exactly, the filter should look for. You can get rid of just the cookies, etc., or all the Gardenweb graphics, or whatever. If you get rid of the things labeled 'stylesheet', the page is unformatted, which is actually what I think some of you are looking for.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I don't think you are using the same program I am or you are using an older version, or you have your security set a lot higher than on mine.

My brand new AdBlock Plus does NOT have anything like "Click on Blockable Items" in its menu of options, so I do not have access to that list that can be blocked. My computer son just looked at the menu for AdBlock and he also says there is nothing there that allows for selecting certain items to be blocked or not. It is either turned on and covering everything (except links to other GW forums) or turned off and covering nothing.

I'm still wondering if having different browsers makes a difference. I am using IE browser, not MAC or the others mentioned above.

Thanks for trying to help, however. : )

Kate

• Jsmith1776
    10 years ago

This will be my last posting regarding this. Please excuse me if there are any grammar and spelling error that leads to more confusion.

My response was to the initial poster. She uses a mac. I assumed she uses Safari. Safari only has ADBLOCK. There is no ADBLOCK PLUS release for Safari. These are two different products release by two different entities. For Microsoft user, there are no ADBLOCK extension for IExplorer. There is only ADBLOCK Plus.

My suggestion to Microsoft user that are annoyed by ads

Microsoft users should use Chrome as a browser, and install ADBLOCK. If you change over to Chrome, install ADBLOCK.

DO NOT INSTALL THE INFERIOR PROGRAM ADBLOCK PLUS.

It is like naming a Model T, Adblock Plus, and a Ferrari, Adblock. Two different car, by two different manufactories.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I think we have two different conversations going on here, and it gets rather confusing who is answering whom and from which conversation.

At any rate, I give up. No solution for my problem, I guess.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 20:21

• Jsmith1776
    10 years ago

Okay, I feel bad for you Kate. Here is the solution for you. You are currently using IE browser with Adblock Plus. To get rid of the column content to the right of this column, you will need to use another browser such as Chrome. You will need to install another program called "Adblock" without the plus. Adblock plus is older then Adblock. Marketing at its finest. The PLUS makes you all in thinking it is better. Its' original name was "SIMPLE ADBLOCK for IE"

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the proof