Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Yellow Sweetheart, Cl

Kippy
10 years ago

One of the things I love is when some one brings up a rose that is new to me (like most of them) and it has a wonderful story behind it. I thought I would start a new thread so it was not missed again.

This one seems like one that should have taken off in commerce and yet was lost.

Seems like it should have sold as well as Cecile Brunner and Perle d'Or

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.23069&tab=1

Here is a link that might be useful: What Was Lost is Found

Comments (19)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

A very interesting article and what appears to be a very desirable yellow climber, of which there isn't an abundance, with the added attraction of being thornless.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

It's rated as having ffff for fragrance at Rogue valley rose nursery.
    They have bands of it in stock, on Dec. 7th 2013
    Great Post kip, thanks
    Lux

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I truly loved the one I had in CA. I wish I could grow it in NY. I don't recall a heavy fragrance, but it had every other mark of excellence in roses, from tidy, attractive foliage and growth habit, to pretty color and shape to rapid repeat bloom to flexible canes.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now Lux, just how did you know what I was doing this morning....my rose wish list from Rogue :)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Judging by Kim's comments on the earlier post, I don't think Yellow Sweetheart, Cl has a strong fragrance. But it is still just what I was looking for, another thornless climber to accompany an adjacent wall to Annie Laurie McDowell. I'm glad they take a while to grow, so I can research how to train and prune them.

Thanks Kippy for posting this..and thanks to AquaEyes for first suggesting this rose to me.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

This flower is about five days old. It has endured some rather frosty weather (for here); some fairly stiff winds and a day of rain. There is no scent to it but I was impressed how good it looks after the treatment it has suffered. Not bad, not bad at all! Kim

• User
    10 years ago

Its a fine rose and somehow managed to be neglected by commerce. Perhaps the right rose, but the wrong era? Who knows.

It has almost no fragrance, so the RVR listing is an error. Be aware that, since all plants of this have come from the same lone specimen described by Jim and Kim in the article, they are all virused with a fairly conspicuous form of RMV. It hasn't impacted the plant's ability to outbloom any other modern climber I've grown, not has it affected the plant's outstanding vigor, but you need to know this detail when contemplating its acquisition.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is the virus as likely to show up in warmer SoCal as it would be in cooler Oregon?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The symptoms expressed themselves in Carol Aguilar's Glendale garden in summer on the original plant. They have expressed themselves on my plant in both Newhall and Encino. Right now, there are no visible symptoms on my plant here in Encino, FWIW. Kim

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim, do you see signs of it slowing the plant?

I don't get too worked up about virused plants, sure wish it was something we never had to worry about but if it just adds some zig-zags I can live with it as long as it does not actually slow the plant down (I did remove one plant that was seriously damaged by it) I have to figure its neighbors probably already have it anyway.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It hasn't seemed to in my opinion, Kippy, but this is the only one I have ever seen. Who knows what it may have been like prior to infection? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Cl. Yellow Sweetheart cluster

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love those clusters! Sure does not look too slowed down.

• User
    10 years ago

Like I said, it outperforms most any other modern Floribunda-type climber I've grown, both in growth and sheer volume of bloom.

As for the "lightning strike foliage", I have seen evidence of RMV on the leaves at any time of the year, when no other roses show signs, but it is usually limited to yellow markings on a few leaves here and there; far from disfiguring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cl. Yellow Sweetheart

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I'm a little disappointed that it won't develop into a fragrant rose, but where I planted it is at the back of a bed, against a fence, so that it is scentless won't be noticed. Most importantly, I wanted a thornless climber with pale flowers, so for that it works. I'm looking forward to watching mine grow, and will love how it looks with a purple clematis growing through it, as seen in one or two pics on its HelpMeFind page.

:-)

~Christopher

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Mine has not at all been vigorous after years of growing. I wonder if it prefers So. Ca.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've been really happy with Yellow Sweetheart. Both it and Annie Laurie McDowell we're my first climbing roses. They spoiled me, because the thorns on my other climbing roses took me by surprise.

I find that the quilled petals partially hide the stamens. This bloom decided to show them off.

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Beautiful, Bonnie! (nice to see you!)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I love it when people come back and update posts! So have you had it 5 years then?