Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sturgeon Memorial Rose Gardens Photos

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 13:43

This past weekend, my family and I were in Florida for a funeral, and decided to take a drive around the cemetery (I know that may sound odd, but I just find them peaceful and beautiful). I was so excited when I found an All America Rose Display Garden in the middle of the cemetery! It was a pleasant surprise on a sad day �� Plus, my own roses back in Tennessee have been dormant for about a month now, and it was nice to see so many blooms!
The garden is called the ��Sturgeon Memorial Rose Garden,�� and is located at the Moss-Feaster funeral home and cemetery in Largo, FL. They have a collection of over 400 roses, and truly is a beautiful setting! Here are some of the pictures (sorry there��s so many, but I couldn��t narrow them down!)
Enjoy, Tammy

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Love
Photobucket

Kentucky Derby
Photobucket

Brigadoon
Photobucket

Mrs. Dudley Cross
Photobucket
Photobucket

Elina
Photobucket

Our Lady of Guadalupe
Photobucket

Europeana
Photobucket

Hot Cocoa
Photobucket

Charisma (I now remember why I SP��d this one�K.gaudy!!!)
Photobucket

Pink Chiffon
Photobucket

Pierrine (Not familiar with this mini, but I really like it!)
Photobucket

Mary Rose
Photobucket

Brandy
Photobucket

Veterans Honor
Photobucket

Scott Chait (didn��t know this one either�K.but it��s very pretty!)
Photobucket

Garden Views
Photobucket

Confidence
Photobucket

White Success
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Garden View
Photobucket

Black Cherry
Photobucket

Queen E
Photobucket
Photobucket

Molineaux
Photobucket
Photobucket

Tropical Sunset
Photobucket

Alachua Red Cascade
Photobucket
Photobucket

Moonstone
Photobucket

Abe Darby
Photobucket

Melody Parfumee
Photobucket

Granada
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Wild Blue Yonder
Photobucket

Green Rose
Photobucket

Double Delight
Photobucket

Cotillion
Photobucket

Prominent
Photobucket

A lovely bush of Old Blush!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Miss Atwood
Photobucket

Little visiting egret ��
Photobucket

Out of Africa
Photobucket

Champney��s Pink Cluster
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sturgeon Memorial Rose Gardens Photos

Thank you for sharing these photos. They are brilliant !

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 17:30

Oops...I meant to post this in the gallery...sorry!

Also, I originally typed it into a Word doc, and when I moved it over, all of my punctuation went nuts! Sorry again :(

Tammy

o

I rarely visit the gallery, so I'm glad you posted the photos here. Although I visit the Largo area from time to time, I was unaware of this garden. It was interesting to see all those rebar stakes -- necessary additions to any garden that's planted with roses on Fortuniana.

o

Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 7:10

Next time you're in the area you should visit, its really well maintained.

My mother was asking why my roses aren't staked back in TN and I was explaining to her about rootstock. It was different, they all kind of look like mini tree roses!

Tammy

o

I was just going to say that some of the roses looked like trees. Thank you for posting these! They're really beautiful! The dedication on the plaque really made me smile. If only we could all do that. :)

o

Glad you put them here instead. Thank you for sharing these beautiful roses with us.

o

Tammy, I'm so glad you put those great pics. in here, otherwise I would miss a free treat ... I love your pics, it's like seeing the roses in real-life while being a couch-potato. Thank you.

o

You like those Fl. roses?? In a private garden with daily care, roses on fortuniana root stock look much cleaner. Some of those roses have been around for a few (?) years. When staking my fortuniana roses I always use brown or black "panty hose". While living in Fl., I went over there twice. Really nice display of a good variety of different roses. I use to hear people say you can't grow good roses in Florida ALL the time. Yeah, right. You should see this garden in early April :)

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 18:01

Thanks for posting these pics...I've been out there several times, but it is a bit of a drive for me.... I sure don't like those bright blue ties, seems that they are overdone, the rebar can be closer and 'invisible' ties would look better, but it's a sign that someone is caring for the roses and maintaining them, the last time I was there they were quite sad looking and lots of empty spaces so it's good to see they are now cared for and to be congratulated for this.....sally

o

Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 20:41

It's actually only the second rose garden I've been to (First was the Univ of TN Gardens) and this one had much more variety. I just wasn't expecting the garden to be there. It was a nice surprise! I'm glad to hear that they are improving it from what you've seen is the past, Sally :)

Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here