Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

Miniature rose plants at Mountain Valley Growers

nastarana
9 years ago

A USDA certified organic plant nursery specializing in herbs has a modest selection of miniature roses.

The roses shown were their 2014 selections. The 'Petite Scotch' would be of interest to lovers of spinossimas.

The nursery is mostly wholesale and does have a reasonable minimum order requirement.

Here is a link that might be useful: roses at Mountain Valley Growers

Comments (8)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Just for clarification, Petite Pink Scotch is *not* a spinossisima. HelpMeFind lists it as a hybrid wichurana. ARE says the name came from the idea that the rose was brought along with Scottish immigrants to North Carolina.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I took a look and it seems to be a nice small selection but I didn't see anything that was an exhibition rose.

Petite Pink Scotch seems to be a bit of a mystery. I've seen it listed as a polyantha too.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Petite Pink is "petite" in only flower and foliage size. Otherwise, it is determined to cover the earth! It suckers and layers itself everywhere possible, forming a very thick, dense mat of material. Seventeen years ago, my nephew loved how tiny it was and wanted one, so I planted it in a planter at his mom's house. The planter is now mostly that rose and it has come up in the lawn, having pushed under the front side walk. This is definitely one of the "dead leaves root in fire" types. Neat little rose, but pure evil to contain! Kim

• nastarana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm., I was looking for something to plant underneath the sycamore tree which grows in the strip between the sidewalk and the street. Maybe the combination of cold climate, those nasty matting sycamore roots and shade would keep la Petite in bounds,

• catsrose
    9 years ago

PPS knows no bounds. Mine is planted beside a stone gate pillar beneath a threesome of metasequoia, Blue Atlas cedar and giant holly on a bank covered by vinca minor on one side and junipers on the other. She is still winning thru. The vinca side is the neighbors and wasn't there when I first planted her and the junipers were tiny.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Last summer I purchased 3 Ralph Moore miniatures from Mountain Valley by mail ('Andrea', 'Torch of Liberty', and 'Redwood Empire') along with some hard-to-find herbs. There is maybe only one other place listed on HMF to purchase 'Torch of Liberty' in the U.S., which has the most charming pale yellow petal reverses! The rose plants that arrived were small but healthy and well-rooted and can't beat the price. They are actually all in bloom out in the yard at the moment...

This post was edited by catspa on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 20:06

• catsrose
    9 years ago

I finally had time to look at MVG site. What a great plant list! Thank you.

• First home
    8 years ago

I was thinking to get their "rise and shine", "redwood empire", "Judy Fischer", "Andrea" and "Cinderella" to plant on the strip between the street and sidewalk, as well as the edge of my front yard, for two main reason, one being they are beautiful, and second to keep dogs from pooping all over my lawn. The dog owners in my neighborhood are very irresponsible!

Catspa, can you show picture of your Andrea and redwood? Since you already planted them, I would love to see the real thing. Any problems with any of the roses?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!