Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
R. abyssinica

Posted by sandandsun 9a FL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 13:53

I was taking some holiday time to peruse and study. I found the Dr. Bayse article linked below. I'm struck by the photo of R. abyssinica at the beginning of the article.
I'm wondering if the plant (tree) still exists. Is the height compared to the roof of the building an optical illusion? Is the huge double trunk one also? A black and white photo, but wow!

Here is a link that might be useful: AMPHIDIPLOID

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: R. abyssinica

Very interesting picture and information but I'm still disappointed! I thought I'd see a picture of the species. My daughter lived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for over two years and promised to take pictures of it in the wild but somehow she never got round to it when the rose flowered. The photos on HMF are probably far better than any she would have taken.

o

Yes. It is my understanding that it still exists.

Jeri

o

jerijen,

Thank you!

It provides rose lovers an Arbor Day alternative, where climate allows, of course. I'm still awed.

I searched and HMF has a color photo taken in 2005 with folks around it for a sense of proportion - link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa abyssinica on the campus of Santa Clara University, May 2005

o
Thread Link

Thread link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Species Roses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here