Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nummykitchen

Help, some roses are leaving out!!

nummykitchen
9 years ago

Oh my, this is new for me! Almost January in Michigan and the crazy warm weather has some of me roses leafing out! I just did a garden walk through for the first time in over a month because it was so nice and sunny out and now I'm worried that I will lose a bunch of roses since they are trying to grow now :(

So far we have a few leafing out that were hard/expensive for me to locate: Broceliande, Waiheke, Harry Wheatcroft (my last order from Vintage Gardens) and a few others. What, if anything, should I do? I'm temped to take cuttings and attempt wintering the cuttings indoors. I know keeping roses inside in winter in generally frowned upon but I've done it with a high success rate for the past few winters. These are all planted outdoors and have survived at least one Michigan winter.

Thanks,
Andrea

Comments (6)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

Roses leaf out from the top of the plant. So, if you take cuttings, the top of the rest of plant will start leafing out.

I've had much better luck getting roses to make it through winter since I've started covering them with burlap.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My zone 6 (Ks) alternates between warmer weather and freezing weather which usually warms up again in a few days (last winter was the exception--stayed COLD for a long time). So my roses have been enduring multiple freeze-thaw cycles for a number of years.

Yes, if I check, I can often find the tips trying to form new red tiny little buds--I guess they just get frozen off with the next revolution of the freeze-thaw cycle. My solution: since I can't change the weather, I don't go out and check for new growth until spring approaches--or otherwise I'd have a nervous breakdown!

Come spring, I will probably have to trim my hybrid teas way back--hopefully only to about 12 inches or so, but sometimes nearly to the ground before I discover good white healthy pith in the centers of the canes. I don't worry too much about that, however, since hybrid teas usually seem to like rather severe prunings. They pop up good after that (usually).

I worry a bit more about my shrubs, old and new, that don't like severe spring prunings. Fortunately, a lot of them are hardy to Zone 5, so they are safe in my region (usually), but some of them may be fated for permanent shrimp-sized status due to the cold weather setting them back every year.

Speaking of weather, it just started snowing here. First real snow this winter. Kind of a "I'm dreaming of a white Xmas" kind of snow. Other than that, the temps aren't bad at all, though chilly of course.

Kate

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I think Zack's point is a good one. Let them make growth from stems high on the plant that you will probably prune off in spring anyway. This conserves plant energy and avoids encouraging canker lower on the plant--canker that might enter winter pruning wounds or sites where new growth is frozen. I make it a point not even to look at my roses until pruning time draws near. It just gets you worrying about things you can't do anything about.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Today I did my walk through of the roses, and some are leafing out. At least most of the canes are green compared to last year's BLACK and I only lost 2. Putting it all in perspective, I immediately calmed down. Disregarding last winter, we're usually over the hump by the 3rd week in Feb. Then there was the freeze in the spring of 2007, five days of too cold too long! Thank goodness roses are resilient.

• pfzimmerman
    9 years ago

You might try Jack Falker's method of using leaves to protect them. Keep in mind it's cold winds that cause the most damage. So surrounding them with a wind barrier is the best thing you can do.

Also if you lose some of the tops that's okay. You'll just prune that off in early spring. focus on the bottom 12" or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack's blog post

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I haven't seen any actual leaves yet but there is definitely some plump red leaf buds out there. Nothing you can really do about it. Just leave them alone and hope for the best. This freeze and thaw stuff is the real culprit that kills most roses. And the freeze is already on its way for this coming week. If the roses went into winter healthy and you gave the crowns some protection even if you lose some of the canes they should still be fine and come back next spring.