Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karl_bapst_rosenut

Saying "Hi"

karl_bapst_rosenut
11 years ago

Have been asked to post and say "Hi", so
"Hi"
I have bladder problems and have to pee all the time. I've donated most of my roses to a local arboretum as I've not been able to take care of them this past year due to the heat and a large (7mm) kidney stone which led to all my problems. My l/s radiation weakened ureter tore when attempting to remove the pieces of broken up stone. Removing, rather than blasting it was my option.
The arboretum is building a rose garden in my memory with the 300 roses of all types. I've donated all my rose books to them and they're making the garden educational to promote rose growing. I've also requested raised beds and it be disabled accessible. They're removing a large area of unwanted trees for the rose garden.
I'm keeping less than 100 roses and my greenhouse for now so I can continue to root cuttings. I wasn't able to this past summer.The arboretum is close enough that I can go there to get cuttings.
For anyone interested, the name is Taltree Arboretum and it's just west of Valparaiso, Indiana.
Hopefully they'll have the rose garden ready in 2014.
Plans are to remove my roses this spring.
I should get the stent removed at the end of January, hopefully for good. Meanwhile my rose beds are weed beds.
I may try to collect all the Buck roses and a few of my hardiest disease resistant varieties but will keep below 125 bushes, if possible.
It's not fun getting old and immobile. I just ordered a stair lift so I can get to the bathroom and my bedroom easier. On top of the bladder problems, I've fallen hard a few times. Didn't break anything but bruised my leg and knee bones real bad. Am just getting now to where I can get around easier. After the last fall, I spent a week in bed as I couldn't walk without help.
My computer is in my bedroom and I'm still answering question from the ARS webpage so I don't really feel like getting into any discussions on the Forum. Besides, they have so many experts and would be experts anymore, anything I'd add would be redundant.
I spend two to three hours on the computer daily anyway.
Finally, some of them were getting on my nerves. Rather than put up with the nasty comments from a few I decided to just stop going there.
If anyone contacts me at rosenut@rosenut.com, I'll reply and answer questions that way. If anyone wishes to post resulting comments here, they're welcome to do so.

Comments (24)

• lucillle
    11 years ago

Karl, getting older has its problems. I'm sorry to hear about the kidney stone, I hear that is one of the most painful illnesses there is. I'm gettiing older too, moved into this smaller house a year ago so things would be easier to take care of.
    It is good to see your post. Please reconsider visiting here, many would love to see you more often here.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Karl: I'm glad to hear from you. I read your rosenut blog many times, and always learn lots from it. I can never thank you enough for the black plastic "Mulch Film", I made 3 huge rose gardens that way, save me $$$ in disposing Yard Waste... and the dead grass made the soil fluffy, less alkaline than my pH 7.7 soil.

I want to thank you for recommeding EarthCo. to test my soil. My alkaline clay soil is high in organic matter, super-high in magnesium, but low in phosphorus and potassium. Your common sense and experience will always be appreciated.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Happy Holidays, Karl. Hope u r up to speed soon. Taltree is awesome.
    I agree with the observations about the site. I still use it but choose my responses very carefully. There are lots of posters who have NO idea what they are talking about....lots of bad advice found here, given with authority.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Even with your present health conditions you are still a "hoss" doing everything you do. Those kidney stones are horrible so I hope it is over and done with as far as its removal. I'm sorry you won't be joining in any discussions here. Even though I've been doing this for going on 30 years now, you still brought up some good points that made me stop and think. I've learned along the way that the people who think they are the smartest usually aren't...At least know that there are many of us who still think of you and miss your input, and would welcome you if you just decided to check in every once in awhile and let us know you are alright.....Maryl

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Hi Karl, I'm very sorry for your health problems. It's good to hear you're improving. I wish you as speedy and full recovery as possible and look forward to your being around more often. Happy Holidays to you! Kim

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Karl, I am so grateful that u took the time to say "Hi". Many of us have missed you and your excellent advise. I am so sorry to hear about your health problems and I pray for your recovery. The Rose Garden sounds wonderful and maybe some day I will travel up to see it. Please take care of yourself and know that there are many of us that think of you often. Best to you....Lesley

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Miss seeing your posts, Karl. Seven Sisters is doing great. Thank you so much.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Thank you, karl, for updating us. Hope your health continues to improve. Giving the arboretum your 300 roses and books is great--but since you anticipate caring for another 100 or so roses, I'd hardly say you are "retiring" from rose gardening! LOL

Do check in occasionally and share a few words of advice. We do need to balance out would-be experts with real experts, after all.

Take care.

Kate

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

That's great about the arboretum rose garden. I hope someone will put up pictures of it as it gets planted and grows up. I just wanted to thank you for all your help when I was new and didn't know as much as I thought I did. Even if you don't want to give as much advice here, we all still care how you and the roses are doing.

• Terry Crawford
    11 years ago

Karl, you are the expert who taught me how to properly bury the graft several inches below soil for our zone to get roses through our Midwest winters. I had despaired of ever growing roses. I am forever grateful you took the time with a greenhorn several years ago and started me on my journey.

• rosarama
    11 years ago

Karl, I add my thanks to the many posted above.
    Illness accompanied by pain is no fun but hope you have some fight left, "Do not go gentle into that good night" (Dylan Thomas). Love & Blessings

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Karl - thank you for posting and letting us know your status. You'd be amazed at how many do know the value that "real" experts provide. The forum has been unusually polite lately - it's a real pleasure.

Karen

• mori1
    11 years ago

Hey Karl, good to know your still with us, if only every once in awhile. I agree with terryjean, after reading some of your posts I ended up having to replant several roses in the rose bed because the graft was above soil level. Have only had to replace one rose since.
    Get better soon and hopefully next year will be a better growing season then the dust bowl part 2 that we had this year.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Karl, sorry to hear of your sufferings. I hope you will continue to enjoy improving health.

Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge. I have a bunch of your posts printed out in my reference notebook. I'm another person who has benefited from planting the graft deeper as you advise (totally against local recommendations here). It really rejuvenated many of my plants. How generous of you also to donate your roses for a new garden. Merry Christmas!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    11 years ago

Karl, You are missed! I love reading info that you post. Wishing you a better, healthier year in 2013.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Karl----We've been around a few years, my friend. Had the kidney stone mess 2 summers ago. Had a stent in each kidney for 4 months. I know what your going through. Every time you move you feel the "urge". The roses were on their own that summer. I'm also keeping my garden under 100 bush's. So glad to see most of your garden being transplanted where others can enjoy it. I've learned to ignore most of the "experts". Try to keep my comments neutral. Take care of yourself. We don't bounce anymore. We just go "thud" and pay for it :)

• User
    11 years ago

Hi from the UK. Felt a slight twinge that I might have been one of the 'getting on nerves' posters (not known for politesse or discretion) but still, wishing you a pain-free future (yep, I too have a permanent teflon tube in my ureter after a surgeon's misadventures during childbirth - frankly, the most bloody painful experience of my life. although the unrelated sinus washouts were the most disgustingly shocking!)
    So, hoping all goes well for you and the volcanic peeing draws to a dignified end. Cheers, Suzy

• onewheeler
    11 years ago

Hello Karl.

I haven't been to this site for ages so didn't realize you were not posting much.

I still remember when I first got a computer and coming to GW, you were one of the people who helped me as a new rose grower. You told me things I could understand, not too technical, just a straight shooter, telling it like it is. I appreciated it then, still do in fact. :-)

Bless your heart for donating the roses. I am sure you will make several peoples lives much more beautiful and interesting.

Merry Christmas with all good wishes for a healthy and happy new year to come.

Valerie

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Karl, I add myself to the many who respect you and send my very best to you and hope that time works its magic on you. You have been an inspiration to many, myself included. Hope you check into the Forum from time to time and to add your expertise. Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Judith

• barb_roselover_in
    11 years ago

Karl, so glad to hear how you are doing. I truly enjoyed my visits with you and dtr still asks about you. I too am finding out I can't do the things I loved to do. Were it not for my kids, my rose garden would not exist, I'm afraid. As we grow older our positions reverse--I now ask my son's permission to do things instead of being the domineering parent. Because of them, I am able to live out in the country There comes a time to "hang up the towel" and admit we can't do it anymore but God Bless, try to keep as healthy as possible, and I wish the best for you. Barb

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

I completely understand your "finally" statement. If you haven't read Lessing's 'The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four and Five,' then I recommend it. There is a natural progression that some experience.
    Best wishes for a full recovery.

• iowa_jade
    11 years ago

It was good to see a post from one of my heroes. I hope you continue on the mend.
    Staying below 125 roses has also been one of my goals. Alas, it has been like my numerous weight loss goal. Bests to you my friend!
    Doug (foghorn)
    Internal Anti Grass League

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Karl, I know we haven't met face-to-face, but I consider you a valued friend.

I'll send you the occasional note, if that's OK.

Jeri in SoCal

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Karl, I have always so enjoyed your input and your humor.

Your roses were inspiration to many and the rose you rooted for me was a favorite, Happy Butt.

I have missed you on the forum and I have missed my roses. My near-500 rose garden is all but gone. At least, you did not get Alzheimer's and spray the roses with Roundup. Yes, that happened at my house and now I am trying to start over with just a few, but not every rose and keep the Roundup far, far away from others.