Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellie479

Black tips? Puny Leaves?

ellie479
11 years ago

Just wondering what could be wrong with my Caldwell Pink (Pink Pet?). She's got black tips on some of her leaves, and almost all the new growth she got recently has turned out puny and with black tips. Some of the leaves are a bit shrively, some is shrively and crunchyish. Kinda reminds me of Spinach that's been in the fridge too long or something lol. For the most part, I'd say 95% of her is healthy, but she's obviously trying to tell me something!

I periodically spray with a vinegar/water mixture (2 and a halfish teaspoons to a quart) for BS and fertilized with MiracleGro rose fertilizer last week (the pink powder mix). I water like every other day and use my jet setting on the hose to keep away spider mites. I dote on her. She's my first and only rose :P (newbie here, hello, hi lol)

I attached a not so great pic of a wayward branch I clipped today, hopefully you can see what I'm talking about and help me figure out what she wants from me :P Thanks!

Comments (9)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Those leaves look pretty good, from here.

Jeri

• ellie479
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, here are some better pics. You can see some of the leaves aren't smooth, but, I don't know - bubbly? They're also tiny, and with those black tips I mentioned. I don't know if they're in a growth stage or what, I'm a rookie, so.....?????? lol

{{gwi:348556}}

{{gwi:348557}}

{{gwi:348558}}

I've also got some really weird leaf formations - don't think they're hurting the plant, but I'm just curious as to what's going on.

{{gwi:348559}}

{{gwi:348560}}
    They're heart shaped. Lol, my rose loves me :P

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Well, the tip damage looks like your spray puddled there, and burned the leaves. Why are you spraying with vinegar? I've never heard of that, and I would be concerned about leaf-damage.

Jeri

• ellie479
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, it's not straight up vinegar; it's two teaspoons to a quart. The vinegar (supposedly) makes the leaves too acidic for blackspot to thrive. So far it's worked great. I had a lot of BS about a month ago before I started spraying, and it's like, 95% gone now. If you google 'gardenweb blackspot vinegar' you'll find a big post on it that goes back a few years.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Well, OK.

If I put a vinegar compound on my foliage, I would expect to have burn damage near the leaf tips, where it puddles, and dries.

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Your strange foliage on the blooming tips is completely normal. I agree with Jeri your blackened tips are likely due to the spray puddling there and causing them to blacken. Otherwise, your rose looks perfect to me. Congratulations! Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Remember -- when the spray puddles up, and the water evacuates, the acidic content is going to increase.

Otherwise, as Kim said -- all is well.

Jeri

• ellie479
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeri, that makes complete sense to me now. Everything I have read said not to spray when the sun is high. Now I know why!

Thanks Kim :) This is the first time in my adult life that I am gardening - it's very rewarding!

One more thing though. Every so often this happens. I try and do all my own research, but I have no idea what to search for to figure out what this is, or how to treat it. I know I'm fussing over her, but she's my only rose ATM so...(she better enjoy it while she can hah!)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I don't see anything that looks alarming -- but we'd really have to have a much closer view to be helpful.

THIS close, at the very least.

Jeri