Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Forest Farm Order / Thanks Bluegirl!

TNY78
11 years ago

I placed one last fall order with Forest Farm who I've never purchased from, and never actually heard of until "Bluegirl" mentioned them in a thread I started regarding reasons we grow roses other than for their blooms, over in the Antiques Forum. They have an immense selection of plants along with a good selction of ownroot roses (species roses inparticular). There were a few species roses I was interested in adding to either the back of my property, or to get a head start on some new acerage we're in the process of buying.

I was very pleased when they arrived today! Nice big plants and they were reasonably priced. They even gave me two "tubes" (their version of a band) of a pioneer rose called "Irene Pony Express" because one of the plants was on the small side, so I really appreciated the gesture.

Here's what I ordered:
gallons:
R. Dumalis / $12.00
Old Pink Moss / $15.00
R. Pimpinellifolia (Scots Rose)/$12.00

Tubes:
Father David's Rose/$8.95
Irene Pony Express/$9.95
R Villosa (Apple Rose)/$9.95
R. Woodsii/$7.95

Tammy

Here's a couple of pics:
{{gwi:348563}}

{{gwi:348564}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Farm Website

Comments (12)

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Ooo, goodie! It's been awhile, but I got excellent plants last time I ordered. Huge plant selection--not just trees. I'm hoping they offer R. glutinosa again sometime--it has such fragrant foliage. Have fun & let us know how they do :-D

• Alana8aSC
    11 years ago

which rose is that with the long pretty red canes?

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Forest Farm is a great nursery.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

They all look very healthy!

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

I ordered from Forestfarm last year too and am very pleased with the plants they sent me. Very healthy and on the large side of the size range they were being sold as compared to other online sellers. Only one was a rose, and it is a nice one, R. webbiana. Came as a tube last fall and now has multiple canes over 5 feet tall. Very beautiful quite dark, dark green foliage.

Since I liked what they sent so much I ordered again this fall. Plants arrived in October. Mostly roses this time. I love species!:

R. arkansana
    R. blanda
    R. eglanteria
    R. nutkana
    R. rugosa alba (2)
    R. setigera
    (all were tube size with some so big they were more than ready to pop outta those tubes!)

The 2 non-rose plants I received were wild buckwheats (for the butterflies):

Eriogonum compositum
    Eriogonum umbellatum 'Kannah Creek'

I plan on ordering from Forestfarm again in future. They have just too many species roses that I covet--including some of Tammy's acquisitions. You better watch those Tammy lest they get spirited away to California one evening.;)

Melissa

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No snatching my roses, Melissa :) I can't wait to see what these new ones do! My husband and I just bought a few acres and I think these will be my first rose additions (of course it will be quite the surprise to him when we actually go to build on it and all these roses are already there...hehe)

Tammy

• desertcliff
    11 years ago

I've had excellent results with roses purchased from ForestFarm. I have, however, had a few species roses arrive mislabeled, but as I know all too well from my own experience with EuroDesert Roses, that can and will happen with any nursery as long as humans are involved.

Cliff

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that you had excellent results with your plants, Cliff. Its funny, but I never think of those who owned nurseries as large as yours as buying roses from outside sources! But, you had to add to your collection just like the rest of us I guess :)

As for mislabels, I won't know until they bloom in the spring. I'm not to the point where I can really tell a lot of the species roses apart yet. May have to enlist some GW friends!

Tammy

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

This week I received:
    gallons
    Crested Moss
    Compact Cecile Brunner (big as a 2 gallon plant)
    Cl. Souvenir de la Malmaison
    R. Pimpinellifolia

Tubes
    White Lady Banks
    Mutabilis
    R. Eglanteria
    Vitex tree

Excellent plants, super roots--even in the tubes, VERY well packed--these guys are obsessive with taping, stapling & reinforcing the boxes. etc.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol...so you did end up placing an order :) I just got Crested Moss from High Country last month...I don't know how I missed it up until this year. It looks like a great/interesting rose! I was tempted to order Compact Cecile from Forest Farm, kinda wish I would of. I have one that I rooted early last spring, but its never taken off.

Tammy

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Ha! yessss. In my defense, this year was the first time I've ordered in YEEAARS. Think I "fell off the wagon" & went nuts. I need some kind of 12-step partner to call when I start thinking of ordering again--instead of yakking on GardenWeb & listening to all you ENABLERS!!