Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hortico Rose Order

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 15:39

My Hortico rose order came this afternoon. They were well packed, still damp, canes were beautifully green and healthy, good root systems. I have ordered from Hortico for years and never had a problem. We are having 81 degrees here, unseasonably warm, and I look forward to getting most of them planted tomorrow - they are soaking now. They have roses I cant find anywhere else so its really fun to add these to my garden! They have lots of interesting roses - wish I had time, energy and more beds to plant more.
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hortico Rose Order

Alameda, glad you're happy with your order; what did you get?

I just ordered Heirloom and Francis Dubreuil from Chamblee's, but requested shipping for late February (out of habit, I guess!)

Isn't this weather great?? So good for cleaning up the garden, I could go for this year round, but guess everything needs time to rest...

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 17:38

I placed my first order with them last year, and was pleased. After reading so many negative reviews, I was a little afraid, but there was a couple of roses that I really wanted, and they were the only ones who carried them.

I placed another other for this coming spring, so I hope to have a similar experience :)

Tammy

o

Tammy, glad you had a good experience with Hortico too. What did you order? They have so many interesting ones!!

Here's what I ordered:
Orange Ruffels/Ruffles - an older hard to find Brownell
Cl. Royal Sunset
Little Gigi
Magenta
Miami Moon - hard to find apricot
Golden Border - read some very positive comments on this
Dorcas - one of my very favorite Bucks - got 2!
And the Austins:
Lady Emma Hamilton
Lillian Austin
Cressida
Lucetta
Leander

Loving this warmer weather! I plan to dig all day tomorrow!
Judith

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 18:10

Really nice list, Judith! Some of those I've never heard of. Here's what I ordered...

1. Commandant Beaurepaire
2. Robbie Burns (lesser known Austin)
3. Sissinghurst Castle
4. JH Pierneef
5. S.E.A. of Love (I tried to root this one last year with no luck)
6. Fiesta (the striped one by Lim)
7. Purple Popcorn (bred from The Fairy,Seafoam, and Rouletti,,can't go wrong there!)
8. The Nightwatch (really cool looking stripey!)
9. Metis

Tammy

o

You will love Royal Sunset, Judith. Imagine enormous Brandy blooms with great fragrance and in masses. It was stupendous here until it got eaten. Kim

o

I also seen all of the negative reports on Hortico, but it seems that many of the more recent postings have been positive. I therefore placed a small order with them for some very hard-to-find older Austins that I have grown before in another town:
-English Garden (ordered it twice from Pickering and was sent what I believe to be either Charles Austin or Yellow Charles Austin-one plant threw a 9 foot cane: definitely NOT English Garden
-Cressida: one of my favorite Austins
-William Morris
-Claire Rose: flowers last forever; will grow to 9 or 10 feet with flowers only at the tips of the canes, but responds well to pegging.

I do hope that the plants they send are truly these varieties, as I understand that many were sent mislabeled roses in the past. The UPS put it out for delivery at 4 AM this morning, should arrive today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here