Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Hortico Rose Order

My Hortico rose order came this afternoon. They were well packed, still damp, canes were beautifully green and healthy, good root systems. I have ordered from Hortico for years and never had a problem. We are having 81 degrees here, unseasonably warm, and I look forward to getting most of them planted tomorrow - they are soaking now. They have roses I cant find anywhere else so its really fun to add these to my garden! They have lots of interesting roses - wish I had time, energy and more beds to plant more.
Judith

Comments (6)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Alameda, glad you're happy with your order; what did you get?

I just ordered Heirloom and Francis Dubreuil from Chamblee's, but requested shipping for late February (out of habit, I guess!)

Isn't this weather great?? So good for cleaning up the garden, I could go for this year round, but guess everything needs time to rest...

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I placed my first order with them last year, and was pleased. After reading so many negative reviews, I was a little afraid, but there was a couple of roses that I really wanted, and they were the only ones who carried them.

I placed another other for this coming spring, so I hope to have a similar experience :)

Tammy

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, glad you had a good experience with Hortico too. What did you order? They have so many interesting ones!!

Here's what I ordered:
    Orange Ruffels/Ruffles - an older hard to find Brownell
    Cl. Royal Sunset
    Little Gigi
    Magenta
    Miami Moon - hard to find apricot
    Golden Border - read some very positive comments on this
    Dorcas - one of my very favorite Bucks - got 2!
    And the Austins:
    Lady Emma Hamilton
    Lillian Austin
    Cressida
    Lucetta
    Leander

Loving this warmer weather! I plan to dig all day tomorrow!
    Judith

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Really nice list, Judith! Some of those I've never heard of. Here's what I ordered...

1. Commandant Beaurepaire
    2. Robbie Burns (lesser known Austin)
    3. Sissinghurst Castle
    4. JH Pierneef
    5. S.E.A. of Love (I tried to root this one last year with no luck)
    6. Fiesta (the striped one by Lim)
    7. Purple Popcorn (bred from The Fairy,Seafoam, and Rouletti,,can't go wrong there!)
    8. The Nightwatch (really cool looking stripey!)
    9. Metis

Tammy

• roseseek
    11 years ago

You will love Royal Sunset, Judith. Imagine enormous Brandy blooms with great fragrance and in masses. It was stupendous here until it got eaten. Kim

• john_ca
    11 years ago

I also seen all of the negative reports on Hortico, but it seems that many of the more recent postings have been positive. I therefore placed a small order with them for some very hard-to-find older Austins that I have grown before in another town:
    -English Garden (ordered it twice from Pickering and was sent what I believe to be either Charles Austin or Yellow Charles Austin-one plant threw a 9 foot cane: definitely NOT English Garden
    -Cressida: one of my favorite Austins
    -William Morris
    -Claire Rose: flowers last forever; will grow to 9 or 10 feet with flowers only at the tips of the canes, but responds well to pegging.

I do hope that the plants they send are truly these varieties, as I understand that many were sent mislabeled roses in the past. The UPS put it out for delivery at 4 AM this morning, should arrive today!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths