Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Virus or deficiency?

SoFL Rose z10
9 years ago

Hi guys. This is elegant fairy tail ordered from Regan's nursery last year. I noticed a while ago that her leaves are weird every once in a while. Is this mosaic virus or some sort of deficiency? If she is viruses should I remove her immediately or can I keep her as long as she's performing well (which she is). I don't want her passing this to my other roses.

Comments (16)

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Tough call. Usually mosaic is not so uniformly patterned. But if it is mosaic, don't panic. There's no need to remove it. It will not spread to your other roses. As long as it's performing and you don't depend on it to win blue ribbons, you're good.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I wonder if that's "yellow vein virus"....Malcom Manners would be the one to ask.

:-/

~Christopher

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

Are the virus symptoms observed only in cool weather or are they also observed in the heat of summer?

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I forwarded the link to this thread to Malcolm. They do look suspiciously viral to me. Kim

• malcolm_manners
    9 years ago

First off, I'd say that there are no nutrient deficiencies that will cause this symptom. But I have seen such symptoms on plants that got too dry, then rehydrated. Do you know the cause of the blackening on the stems? If it got too dry, that is my suspicion of the cause of the leaf symptoms as well.

It is not common for common mosaic to show only the yellow-vein symptom, but could be. Or it could be some other virus. But I rather doubt that this is rose mosaic.

• arkroselady
    9 years ago

If you go to Baldo Villegas' site, buggyrose.tripod.com, and then click on Rose Diseases or Disease-like Problems, then click on Rose Mosaic Virus, the first picture there looks exactly like the one on this post. I guess you have to decide for yourself.

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

I don't appreciate being given sites that automatically spam with new windows and everything. These types of sites should NOT be shared.
    Thank you.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

There is nothing wrong with the site that was given. It doesn't spam you or anything like that. Baldo's site is often used by members of this forum--well-known site and very helpful site to those of us who have been around for awhile.

It is not a commercial site, if that is what you were thinking.

Kate

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Maplebirch, Baldo Villegas is the retired California State Entomologist. I am not seeing other windows opening when I go to his site so it might be a function of my pop up blocker, or yours. His site is full of very useful, interesting information and not a spam nor malicious site. Dr. Malcolm Manners is a long-time professor at Florida Southern College who has been testing, treating and researching viruses in roses and citrus for several decades. Both are well respected, very well educated and experienced rose people who could easily be considered "expert". Fortunately, both are also "good folks". Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I had a couple of pop-ups when I used the address above but if you go through the Sacramento Rose Society site you won't get those. Just click on the Rose Pests & Diseases link in the green menu on the left side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacramento Rose Society

• catsrose
    9 years ago

I, too, got pop-ups on the site. I'm on a 5 yr old Mac; different computers can behave differently. It's a nuisance but not the end of the world. Just click them off. It's a good site and I'm glad to have the reference. Thank you all and also for the tip on accessing thru SRS.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Add the free ADBLOCK, and all those pop-ups will disappear. You can google "adblock" and get the easy instructions.

Kate

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Or use the public library's computers?

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

Today when I close the ads they just go away. Yesterday the "Slow Speed Ad" opened 3 new tabs before I realized it was going on so I just shut down everything.
    Today I am enjoying the site. Sorry if I seemed cranky. :)

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

The suggestion was made that the virus may be rose yellow vein virus.

The only published picture that I am aware of is at:

http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/suppl/10.1094/PDIS-10-12-0981-PDN

Although the caption says: "âÂÂLedaâ rose infected with Rose yellow vein virus.", the article states: "Symptoms observed in the âÂÂLedaâ sample infected with PNRSV and RYVV (vein yellowing and chlorotic mottle in the apex of leaves) were not typical of PNRSV, so they may be caused by RYVV."

http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/PDIS-10-12-0981-PDN

I am aware of three pictures of RYVV infected leaves of three other roses. However, the source has not yet been published, and I have not received permission to show them. Do they look like this sample? Well, yes, no, and/or maybe. I do not mean one looks like it, one does not and one maybe looks like it. I mean one person may say they look similar, another person looking at the same pictures may say they are different, and a third person may say maybe - not positive.

Right now an answer as to whether the virus is visible under both warm and cool weather conditions (I feel) would be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to picture

This post was edited by henry_kuska on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 13:07

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

maplerbirth--no problem. I have days when I'm "crankier" that others also. : )

Those pop-ups can irritate, can't they. If it weren't for AD-BLOCK, I'm not sure if I could take this site either.

Kate