Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Do you have the same name as a rose?

bellarosa
9 years ago

I do. It's Evelyn. I actually don't have this rose, although I've heard some good things and maybe too many bad things about her! LOL. What about you? Do you have the same name as a rose?

Comments (19)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

There is a Ralph Moore rose named Sharon's Delight. It's a lovely white single miniflora that I've been thinking of getting for a while now.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I don't know of a rose named Britt, but obviously there should be one. :)

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

No rose called 'Margaret' as far as I can tell...although there is one called 'Maggie', but not available in my country.... and I'm really no Maggie...
    ..so all that's left is Crown Princess Margareta.... I'm not sure I meet the criteria...

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

Isn't there a HT called Margaret? I'm sure I saw one when I was looking for a rose my mother called ''my mother's rose''. However, it actually turned out to be Margaret Merril - which made more sense - grandad was not a fan of HT's, although he did also grow Iceberg and Peace, mainly for cutting for his Margaret.

There are a few Louisa's, but they're all Louisa - appendix - at one point the parents thought it would be nice to have roses for everyone, but were dissuaded.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I'd sought an American source for the Harkness floribunda, "Kim", but it has never come "across the pond". I was fortunate enough to have one named for me, so I guess that should count. Seil, if it's as happy in your climate as it is here, Sharon's Delight should be stunning for you. There is also Sharon's Love, a beautiful, blush pink, semi double Lens shrub. Both were named by their respective breeders for the same lovely lady, who has been a dear friend for over thirty years. Sharon's Love has been available here, but seems not to be currently. It does grow in Sharon's garden here and could probably be easily obtainable as cuttings, if you'd like to try them. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharon's Love

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Sharon's Love is very pretty!

There are lots of roses with my given name in them. Even a few with my middle name too "Carol Ann"

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I have Carole Bouquet and Nicole Carol Miller. Here's a picture of these two roses.

The first pic is of Carole Bouquet

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

HMF has 5 pages of roses with Margaret in the name!

Oh, Kim, thank you! I would love to try some cuttings of Sharon's Love! I don't usually do cuttings in the winter here but I could try some under the lights I use for the seedlings. Let me know.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Apparently there's an old Hybrid-Rubignosa with the alternate name of 'Jay' that I hadn't noticed before, but it's neither officially known as 'Jay' nor available in this country. There also seems to be a HT from the 70s called 'Jay-Jay' that is out of commerce and has no pictures on HMF.

I jokingly mentioned in another thread that I'd like to create a rose called 'Just Jay' -along the lines of 'Just Joey'- since I've been asked whether my name is short for something so many times.

I would love to try your eponymous rose at some point, Kim. I enjoy Jeri's quite a bit.

Jay

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jay. "My rose" hates growing in a pot but can be quite lush in the ground. It never looked good for me in a can, but does just fine in the "dirt" in the yard. When is your better time to propagate? Or, Burlington should also have it. Kim

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Thanks for pointing me to HMF, I hadn't thought of that... and for the HT suggestion... yes there are a couple from way back, one bred by 'Paul' I might have liked.. but no longer in commerce... however I have found this one... but it's not really my taste... the fuchsia 'Margaret' is quite nice though...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.giftaplant.com/shop/all/Rosmar9

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

There are a number of roses on HMF with Karen as part of the name. There's even a Karen Marie (I'm Karen Maria), but no pictures and very little info on HMF. Does anyone know anything about that one?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Huh! I just noticed on HMF that the rose Karen Marie was discovered in 1973 - the year I was born!

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Yes. Ita Buttrose.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

None that I've ever heard of. But there is a creek in Washington state named after me.
    Melissa

• subk3
    9 years ago

My daughter Margo does has one that covers her first and last name! The last name is spelled and pronounced a little differen,t but would trace back to the same name in the old country. My other daughter is an Evelyn. So both of them have a rose. I've been tempted to buy and grown them, but so far have resisted!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Apparently there is a Cynthia-hybrid tea, continously reblooms, highly fragrant. Sounds so wonderful that I am almost tempted to chop down a few trees , so I would have enough sun for roses! I am waiting for a fragrant climber that blooms continuously in shade. Sigh.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

There are hybrid musks/multifloras which can flower with scent in quite a bit of shade, Cynthia, but it all depends upon how dense and complete that shade is. None flower or grow well in "darkness". Kim

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Yes, the Bonnie Jean rose. I would love to have one just because it's my name. There is not much info on it but I think it's a single petal rose.