Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

So confused re. rootstocks

bluegirl_gw
11 years ago

Been reading with great interest the opinions & recommendations for various root-stocks--but I'm confused about what might be best for my area.

Several folks have suggested Fortuniana as a good one for here. Reading up on it, though, I keep seeing references to sandy soil/coastal climate.

I'm west of San Antonio, thin alkaline soil over caliche & limestone. Native vegetation characterized by mountain juniper, agarita, Mexican persimmon, etc. Lots of peaches, lavender & grapes are grown on a commercial scale where the soil is deeper.

If you think Fortuniana sounds good, I'd like to try some budding on it. Otherwise, I'm tempted to bud on:
"Caldwell Pink"--twiggy, but so easy to root & care-free.
"Ragged Robin"--have a good mother plant

And I wonder about
Champney's Pink Cluster--throws long thick canes--roots easily
Mme. Laurette Messime--another happy camper here
Pink Favorite--same as above, plus the quote in another post that it was a "boring" rose because it was so easy to propagate.

Asking as a total amateur, but I have some HTs & ogrs that I'd like to try budding if they are more likely to survive on a better root-stock. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• User
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, definitely have a go. I first tried budding at hort.college where I used a heap of New Dawn (another doddle to propagate). For sure, I didn't do a comparative trial with other rootstocks so I couldn't in all honesty state whether using ND was any sort of improvement compared to the more usual laxa or even on their own stock but it was fun to do, all survived and I felt absurdly proud of myself.
    I was going to have a stab at rooting and budding at the same time, using cuttings of canina but events got out of hand and the timing passed me by.....but next year, I am keen to see if a double operation has legs because I do like this sort of messing about......

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Both multiflora and Huey have been used widely as stocks in Texas rose production, so those should be OK for you. Fortuniana may also work. One of the benefits of using a tried and true plant for root stock is it has already been tried with a variety of different scions (the bud inserted into the stock) and is more likely to be compatible with more varieties of roses. You MAY run into some incompatibilities using more modern roses, or not.

Another benefit of using tried and true stocks is they are known to accept scions easily. It might be possible some garden roses may not.

You also need to take how easily the bark lifts from the cambium, making it easier to accomplish budding, into account. Known stocks tend to be some of the easiest. But, give them a try. Kim

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Fortuniana has been found satisfactory in limey South Florida soils, some of which are heavy marl soils.

I think the commercial use of multiflora rootstock in Texas was in East Texas sandy loams rather than the type of soil you describe. Multiflora has trouble taking up iron from alkaline soils.

• bluegirl_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Commercial rose fields in TX are in the east, e.g. around Tyler, where the soil is red sandy loam & more neutral. The area has good pine tree growth.

On the mid coastal soils here (black clay "gumbo", oak scrub prairies) chlorosis is definitely a problem, though.
    I recall a number of HTs, probably distributed from Tyler growers that were on Dr. Huey. I just don't recall them being very long-lived in the 25 yrs+ I was raising roses there. Almost all the roses I moved inland were own-root ogrs.

I'm assuming the problem is increased in this new-to-me area of limestone hills & want to try some budding on stuff that may do better. Plus I just want to fool around with budding. Thank you all for the responses