Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Anyone heard from Karl lately?

Karl Bapst (Rosenut) that is. He's a real pillar of this forum and although I haven't been on as much as in the past I don't remember seeing him post anything in a while...Maryl

Comments (17)

• hartwood
    11 years ago

I haven't seen him here in a while either ... but he does show up on FB from time to time.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I e-mail Karl a few months ago to ask about wintering roses in the garage. He's friendly and helpful. Anyone can e-mail him at his Rosenut website. He doesn't visit the Roses forum since there are too many "experts" already... something along that line.

• lucillle
    11 years ago

I wish he would show up from time to time. This is a community, I've come and gone for years. It's good to come back and see the same people, and know that they still love roses, and Gardenweb.
    Just because I have other jewels in my jewelry box doesn't mean that one of the finest diamonds has any less value.
    (I actually don't have a bunch of diamonds, but it is a comparison to show that Karl is valuable to have around no matter how many others with knowledge are here.)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karl is a very nice man, full of good advice. He certainly is missed on this forum. If any of you have seen the remarkable job he does winter protecting his roses you probably were as impressed as I was. I wish he would put the past aside and come join us again....Maryl

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

When I first joined this forum, Karl was still posting comments, and I found his input extremely well educated and informational, and I always too extra note of the things he said. I really miss his input. I hope he reads this thread, because I for one would sure like to see him come back! He has so much to teach us newbies...

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    11 years ago

I am the Consulting Rosarian Chairman of the Illinois-Indiana
    District. I talked to Karl in November and he was having some health issues. I was having a Consulting Rosarian School and he was going to come down to help me! He said he was sorry, but his health won't let him.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

For those of you that are not familar with Karl, the following may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 thread

• lucillle
    11 years ago

Maybe we could just send him this thread, with our well wishes. You know what I think he would like from each of us if you have it? A picture of one of your very own roses you have grown, and just a sentence or two saying something nice to him.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    11 years ago

Karl has had a kidney stone, and when they went to get it they damaged him, also he has fallen several times. The only site he is on is the ARS site where he answers questions. His strength is not what it used to be. He told me to post his email if you have questions he can answer for you
    rosenut@rosenut.com

• rosarama
    11 years ago

After Georgia outgrew and destroyed it's iron trellis, I decided to treat it as a shrub. It thrived but lately, instead of sending out numerous blooms at the end of a branch, it now sends out only one, even tho' the one is largerthan the many were.
    Is there something I should be doing or not doing to restore it to its former (many blooms) condition? It's welll watered and nourished so I don't think that is the problem.
    I apppreciate any help.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Karl was the one who told me about using black plastic mulch film sold at Menards for $5 to kill grass over the winter to make rose beds. That was back in 2011. Before Karl told me about it, I spent 4+ hours digging out deep-rooted grass by hands until my hands hurt.

Karl saved me lots of time in growing roses. He's in zone 5a, same as mine and he advised me on how to winterize roses in pots in my unheated & dark garage, even tiny rootings survive winter thanks to his advice.

Another tip that Karl told which I treasure forever is NEVER dumping fertilizer directly on the crown of roses in spring, that hurts the tender feeder roots. So always mix Rose Tone with bagged soil & alfafa meal before topping roses in the spring.

Every year I think about Karl and how much he helped me. He had his rose-blog site which folks can ask any questions about roses. He also shared his long list of roses that can survive zone 5a winter.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

Thought I would add a picture of a rose he sent to me and to some other people here, Happy Butt. It became a lovely thing but sadly later died.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Erasmus - what a beauty!

Karl grew such abundantly flowering roses! All of us who knew him from here still think about him often. :) :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

Sorry to hear of Karl's passing. It seems he had touched so many people and their gardens.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

I havent seen Henry posting here lately with his research topics. I hope he is ok.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Henry posted in the other thread about virused Austin roses .. that was a few days ago, so Henry is OK.