Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Good roses for arrangements

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

In your opinion which roses are the best for arrangements? Not just hybrid teas, but any type, including antiques. I enjoy bringing roses in the house and sharing them when I get the chance. Also what are some good companion flowers with roses when you do a mixed bouquet? Would love to see your pictures too, if you have any you would like to share. TIA.

Comments (33)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have mostly old roses and have used Rosette Delizy, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Bishop's Castle, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Sophy's Rose (cut in tight bud) and Belinda's Rose, among others. I like to mix these with the new growth from butterfly bushes (buddleia). The silvery leaves really look nice mixed with roses.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

In my opinion, all roses are good for arrangements. I just go out into the garden and see what looks good, and try to get colors that go together (or that go with my china if I am doing a center piece). Here is an arrangement I cut a couple of weeks ago before we went into a deep freeze. The roses are old teas (Duchesse de Brabant & Niles Cochet), modern miniatures (Rainbow's End), old HTs (Sutter's Gold), and a very old iris called Crimson King.

Jackie

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I exhibit and try to do at least 1 or 2 arrangements at each show I go to. I like using a black, gray or natural gray slate backdrop. With these backdrops I like using white's and pastel pinks. Tineke (HT) has always done well for me in the Line and Line Mass class's. Using any greenery to fill in any empty area's. I have also done arrangements using Lady of the Dawn (FL). Lady of the Dawn also it a great rose for the house. Just using it and any greenery (the Green Rose works great).

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Hey Sara Ann, IâÂÂm always cutting roses to bring in, too, but I think we have a lot of the same HTs. Trying to think of good fragrant ones for cutting that I donâÂÂt recall you mentioning in previous posts. What comes to mind are Pope John Paul II, Falling in Love (very thorny, but worth it), Peter Mayle, Over the Moon, Chris Evert, Dolly Parton, Fragrant Cloud and Rock & Roll (not my favorite striped rose bush, but my best one for cutting). Love is also one I really like in arrangements, but unfortunately, I canâÂÂt detect any fragrance from it. I like to cut my OGRs, too, but they donâÂÂt last very long in a vase for meâ¦3 days is usually tops and some only a day. Perle dâÂÂOr, a poly rather than an OGR, seems to last quite a while cut, and the sprays are lovely mixed with larger flowered roses. I know you mentioned adding more floribundas to your garden in a recent post. Most that I have don't last as long cut as the HTs and have shorter, weaker stems, but are cute grouped together in shorter vases. Fragrant floribundas I grow that do last as long as most HTs when cut: Singinâ the Blues, Moondance, White Licorice (usually has fairly long stems), George Burns (very thorny but long and strong stems) and Julia Child. Normally, I donâÂÂt add any other flowers to my rose vases, but occasionally IâÂÂll mix in some daisies or hydrangea blooms.

Love, Firefighter, Double Delight, Fragrant Cloud and Dolly Parton

{{gwi:349059}}

Perle d'Or

{{gwi:349060}}

Falling in Love with Perfume Delight

{{gwi:349061}}

Moondance with JFK

{{gwi:349062}}

Various Floribundas

{{gwi:349063}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 13:07

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I pick whatever strikes my fancy as I stroll around with my scissors in hand, but I do find that I use certain rose blooms over and over again because of their long lasting qualities, beauty, scent, and occasionally longer stems. Favorites are Frederic Mistral, Golden Celebration, Julia Child (though its stems aren't very long), Evelyn, Jude the Obscure, Ascot, Blue Bayou (doesn't last very long), Caramel Antique (if it has decided to bloom-rarely), plus others. I love to use peonies with roses in bouquets, but most of the time, it's just a casual bunch of roses.
    Here's Evelyn with pink Sarah Bernhardt peonies.
    Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such a wealth of information here. I appreciate all of you so much. Ingrid and Jackie I think the tea roses are lovely, I have been debating whether I should try teas or not, because of the hardiness issue. Next year I am adding 2 SDLM to my collection, it is such a lovely rose and I love light pinks. Ken, thanks so much for your suggestions, especially on the greenery. Pat and Diane, some really good suggestions here. Seems like we like so many of the same roses. Of the roses you mentioned I have already ordered PJPII, Dolly Parton, Julia Child, Peter Mayle and Frederic Mistral. And I already have Love, Double Delight, Perfume Delight, JFK and Firefighter, if I can even count it, it didn't do much this past season, but I really like it. Hope it makes it through the winter and starts performing for me. I also appreciate all the pictures of the beautiful arrangements, thanks so much.

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

I like daisies out in the garden with roses, and I like them together in bouquets, too. Geum, varioius sedums....those are nice. Lots of nice things from the wildflower garden go well, as do ranunculus and irises, callas.

That said, I mostly grow roses, so that's what I have.

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

I haven't quite figured out to how to attach multiple photos, so here's another arrangment, with statice and callas.

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

Sweet peas and roses together are quite wonderful, too.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you DrPekeMom - Those are lovely arrangements. Years ago I used to start all kinds of flowers from seed, like Geum, Daisies, Calendula, Snapdragons, Larkspur, Clarkia, etc. I miss those beautiful flowers. I love the Callas with your roses, good combination and I think daisies would always be a good choice.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, I am pretty rubbish at floral arranging....apart from this time of year when it is really very simple to plonk a bit of random greenery in a jug while making use of the many varied roseheps to be had all over town. Am even considering ordering one of the Kordes Frutillia roses, grown specifically for decorative heps. Throw in a few stems of winter honeysuckle and maybe a viburnum or two, a sprig of firethorn or cotoneaster......and there ya go - easy-peasy even for nimwits such as myself.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Maryl - That arrangement is gorgeous. I have thought about some of the smaller roses and Deja Blu is one I have seriously considered, I came close to ordering it for 2013 season, but never did.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

This was Deja Blu's 3rd year and she proved the old adage about the first year they sleep, the 2nd year they creep and the 3rd year they leap. Loaded with blooms this fall. All of them with that near perfect spiral center. Being almost thornless with good disease resistance (I sprayed irregularly this year, yet she did well considereing) only adds points in my book.....I got mine from Heirloom and she's a keeper .....Maryl

• JosephColbert
    10 years ago

The beautiful Pink and Red roses are really nice to keep in the living room

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again Maryl - I need to remember that old adage, I get a little impatient at times when roses don't perform well the first year. I noticed Heirloom said Deja Blu was out of stock. I checked with Chamblee's and they had it, also Two Sisters Roses said it is available for spring.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Sara Ann, I picked up two Deja Blu roses potted from Home Depot last spring. I don't normally buy roses from a big box store, but they were marked down from $12 each to $9 each, so I couldn't resist trying them. I was looking for something for two big ceramic pots around my pool. I hadn't considered roses since I didn't want anything thorny there and it's not an ideal situation for a rose with all the reflected heat from the pots, the concrete, the white fence, the pool water, the rock. Since they were a bargain and thornless, I figured I'd see if they could handle it. They performed beautifully all summer...bloomed almost continuously, never seemed heat stressed, huge blooms for a mini with a nice moderate fragrance and were fairly BS resistant (I did spray them occasionally). Not sure why I never thought to cut them to bring inside, but after seeing Maryl's, I definitely will next year.

{{gwi:349068}}

{{gwi:349069}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat - Thank you so much, your two have so many blooms, really lovely too. I love the color! I know I am going to have to get this one, thanks again!

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Queen Elizabeth & Double Delight

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Blue Moon & Memorial Day

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Dame Elizaberth Modoch

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Firefighter

This post was edited by Smoky88 on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 1:55

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Mon Petit Chou

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Pope John Paul II

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Neptune & Blue Moon

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Mon Petit Chou again

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Blue Moon

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Pope John Paul II

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Moon Stone

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

The last one
    Mon Petit Chou & Perfume Perfection

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Your rose arrangements are just striking, Smoky. I love your combinations of various flowers in similar shade. I like your white and lavender arrangements the most. Really nice job!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smoky - Thanks so much, very lovely. Looks like you put a lot thought into your arrangements, very nice job. I totally agree with Kousa.