Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dizzylizzy415

Is it possible to grow a climbing rose in a container?

dizzylizzy 7b
9 years ago

I have a very large (at least half barrel size) container on my deck. I am looking for a climbing rose that will climb up a deck post onto the top of a lattice that covers part of the deck, and since there is a seating area that is fairly close, I would prefer a rose that is thornless or nearly thornless. Is this possible, and if so, any ideas?

Comments (6)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I think you'd be better off putting a Clematis in that pot, and using that to go up the deck post. You can plant annuals at the base to give more interest. Another option could be a hardy Passiflora, some old fashioned climbing Nasturtiums, or even Moonflower (Ipomoea alba). The last two are annuals grown from seed, so would need to be planted anew each year. But they grow very fast. Considering that Clematis take a couple years to really get going, if you go that route, perhaps plant one of the annual vines with it for faster cover the first year or two.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 17:50

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Over here, I see this quite often, roses grown in containers including climbers and ramblers, and in half barrels attached to posts and trellis....
    ..for an almost thornless climber, you might like to consider the English rose 'Mortimer Sackler'... it grows 8 to 10 feet for us and can be trained across poles.... I have it in the ground but would imagine it would be alright for that size of pot too...

..I probably wouldn't go for any of the very large ramblers though... and limit my choice to those that can achieve 10 foot...

..here is 'Mortimer Sackler' growing in my garden... the top part, it does flower down to the ground, but as you can see there are no thorns on the upper parts...it has a lovely scent too and flowers almost continuously....
    just an idea for you to consider.... I expect there are a number of others that might be better for your location....and if your area is especially cold in winter, then some protection for the container might be necessary...

...I should add, the Clematis suggestion of Christopher's above is a good idea too, I've done that before with one called 'Nelly Moser' grown in a half barrel.....

This post was edited by Marlorena on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 19:27

• dizzylizzy 7b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have ordered some David Austen roses to plant this Spring. It will be my first attempt at growing these English beauties, so if I am successful, perhaps I will try something like the Mortimer Sackler posted by Morlorena. Yours is beautiful, by the way. If not, I may just go the route of the clematis. Thank you all for these helpful suggestions!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I grew Blaze in a pot and it did great. You do have to have a BIG pot though. Not just for the root system but also to counter weight all that top growth so it doesn't topple over. The pot I used was about 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 feet and I had a small trellis in the pot to tie the canes to. It was in that pot for 5 years before I got it in the ground. Now that I think of it, it bloomed more in the pot than it does in the ground!

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Here's Crepuscule growing in a large pot by my front door. It is rarely watered and has a lot of competition from English ivy growing in the same pot. I throw my mop water on it.
    It is starting to decline some but has done fairly well for five years or so. I have a large Constance Spry plant in a pot but it rooted through the hole a long time ago. Used to have a big Lavender Lassie in a big pot. It got too big for the area it was in. It also had rooted through the hole.