Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
view1ny

angel face vs love song

view1ny NY 6-7
10 years ago

In the Witherspoon catalog, these 2 roses look almost identical. Anyone grow both? Which do you prefer? Is one a better rebloomer? More blackspot resistant?

Comments (12)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I hate to rat on an old favorite, but Angel Face left my garden years ago because of it's lack of blackspot resistance. I spray, but am not religious about it and Angel Face in my climate demanded regular scheduled maintenance. She's a beauty though and if your area doesn't face the B.S. pressure that we southerners do, you might want to give her a spin...... Sorry, I don't grow Love Song. Many of the lavenders/purples however are known for having rather poor B.S. resistance, but I've not heard about Love Songs yet.....Maryl

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, maryl. Brooklyn is in BS territory & I'm better off with a rose that is a bit resistant. The lavender roses are so tempting & I want to find the best one for my zone.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

View1, I love the lavenders too! Poseidon did very well for me this year. It is supposed to be an FB but I bought it rooted on MF and it grew to 6 ft. Gorgeous, healthy and floriferous. Still trying to push new growth really...
    I also purchased Love Song on Huey and it didn't do a thing...2 blooms.
    Don't know why Poseidon photo is upside down and don't know how to fix it. Sorry.
    Susan

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Love Song! While Angel Face can be beautiful it is notoriously black spot prone and not nearly as vigorous a grower as my Love Song was this season. And the colors are VERY different! Angel Face is a red based mauve while Love Song is much more blue. LS has more petals but still opens reliably in humidity and blooms in much bigger sprays and more often than AF does. IF it winters well for me it will be a much better rose all the way around.

Angel Face
    {{gwi:349262}}

Love Song

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the pics. The color variation between the 2 AF plants is amazing. I guess the best way to buy a rose is to wait to see a bloom. Where I live that's in June but no way I'm going to wait till then to buy more roses (which to be honest I'm not sure I have room for.)

Love Song & Poseidon are beautiful & I just wish I had more room.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Yep -- I wasn't going for either of the two -- my thought would be that you would be MUCH happier with Blue for You. Or even with something like Enchanted Evening, which is also a good one in that lavendar florrie category and might be easier to find.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Depends on what kind of form you're looking for. I don't have Blue for You but I think it has the least petals and fragrance of the three. LS has a lot of petals and a more old fashioned cabbage rose form with a nice but not strong fragrance. AF has fewer petals and more traditional HT form with a very strong fragrance. I think the color difference has a lot to do with the the climate and soil differences between our two locations. My AF will often fade to that more lavender color as it ages.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even though I love Imposter which is single-petaled, with each petal appearing to be hand-painted, I really prefer flowers that are packed with petals. So far, love song is the closest to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I think you'll like LS best. It has good color, blooms a lot and is a healthy rose. And it does have a lot of petals!

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I like Love Potion which is sort of between the two. Not as fussy as Angel Face but a better bloomer than Love Song in my garden. I bought a tree Love Song and a bush Love Song on Dr. Huey roots. The bush has flowered more, but Love Potion still out performs it. Love Song's flowers are magnificent. I'm hoping mature roots will do the trick. Angel Face has fruitier scent and Love Potion is a little sweeter. Angel Face has cute ruffly flowers and a nice shaped plant.

Don't know why my Love Songs never got going this year. I noticed the tree versions at the Huntington were kind of sleepy as well. I mean it's not even growing many leaves and stems. But when the flowers come on, they are outstanding.

I heard so many good things about Neptune. That's supposed to be a big plant. I have Enchanted Evening too. That's a pretty rose, not too big and blooms all year. I really like it.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

My new Love Song (on Dr Huey) didn't bloom well for me, either...beautiful blooms in the spring, but then nothing all summer and only two blooms for it's "big" fall flush. I didn't detect any scent with mine when it did bloom. Hoping it will improve as it matures.