Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease resistant red floribunda for a container?

Posted by Ohiofem 5b/6a OH (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 17:49

I am an experienced container gardener who is new to roses. I grew a beautiful "Showbiz" floribunda in a 10-gallon container last summer and fell in love. But it was plagued by black spot after the first month and lost most of its leaves at six weeks. I treated it with Orthenex and sulfur as soon as symptoms appeared, but never was able to overcome the disease. The plant also was a magnet for Japanese beetles. It continued to produce a few small blooms all summer, but looked quite pitiful.

I'd really like to try again. I only have room for one bush in the area of my yard that gets more than a few hours of sun. I would sure appreciate advice on what rose to try and what to do to keep it healthy. I'd like to find a disease resistant bright red rose online. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease resistant red floribunda for a container?

You might find this new floribunda interesting. It might be cold hardy enough. The introducer promotes it as highly disease resistant. I know it is in California where it was bred. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrive!

o

'Eutin' is often described as the most blackspot-resistant red floribunda, but I haven't grown it.

Then of course there's the original 'Knock Out' rose, which is like a vigorous floribunda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eutin at HMF

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 19:36

Home Run is very disease resistant and blooms it's fool head off all summer!

o

Thank you all for taking time to advise a newbie. I'll be checking out all three suggestions. Happy holidays and good growing.

o

You might want to look at the Kordes roses at Palatine Roses web site. I have been very pleased with the black spot resistance and blooms of the Fairytale roses and there are smaller varieites suitable for borders and pots. I haven't tried these smaller ones but love the shiny healthy leaves of the others I have tried.

o

I second lizalily's recommendation on checking out Palatines Roses as they sell numerous ADR rated roses---see link below to a previous GW thread on ADR roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW discussion on ADR roses

o

I recommend 'valentine'- the 1951 floribunda by Swim. I have found it to be heat resistant, disease resistant and everblooming. With perle d'or, rouletti, reve d'or, leonie lamesch in it's lineage- it has to be tough.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2525

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here