Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Healthiest Roses in 2014

With the exception of spraying for thrips, here's a list (not in order) of my healthiest rose bushes in 2014:

South Africa
Pink Enchantment
Pacific Celebration
Tahitian Sunset
Grande Amore (gets BS late summer/early fall)
Beverly (have 2 both did get some BS later)
What were your healthiest rose bushes?

Comments (15)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Nearly everything had blackspot at one time or another. I think what did the absolute best was Trinity, a found tea rose from Bermuda. No problems at all with that rose. Beverly did pretty well for me, only getting some light blackspot this November. Same for Poseidon. Rouge Royale and Munstead Wood only had a touch of it also.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

'Colette' always wins hands down.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Rosa Rugosa and Rosa Rugosa Alba. Spotless all spring, summer and fall. Beautiful light orange/yellow foliage in early winter. Then falling off the bush's clean around Christmas. Never saw anything like them. When I'm REALLY old (maybe about 100 or so), the rugosa's will be what I'll probably grow. Put them in the ground and let them do their amazing thing.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison and Mutabilis. Aunt Margy's Rose is also very good but suffered in the drought.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Roseraie de L'hay
    Easter Basket
    Gartendirektor Otto Linne
    Julia Child
    Pomponella
    Lemon Zest
    Easy Does It
    Amber Flower Carpet
    White Out
    Cream Veranda
    Apricot Vigorosa
    Flower Girl
    Kardinal Kolorscape
    Milano
    Cape Diamond - unruly thing
    Home Run
    Sunrise Sunset
    Lyons rose
    My Hero
    Innocencia
    Music Box
    Thats it for this year.

This post was edited by pattyw5 on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 13:42

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Once again, 'Ivory Triumph', an oldie from Von Abrams, and now OOC, had no disease whatever.

Also, Cl. Sunflare showed no disease at all. In CA it never mildewed, and this summer in NY, I saw no BS.

The albas and the arvensis ramblers also had clean foliage throughout the summer.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I wouldn't say anything was completely spot free for me this season. It was a rather cool, gray and damp summer so BS was rampant. Julia Child and Home Run still remain my healthiest though. They will spot some at the bottom but never go nekkid like the rest of them, lol!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

My healthiest roses are Belinda's Dream, Sunsprite, The McCartney Rose, Zephirine Drouhin, Mme Isaac Pereire, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Orchid Romance, Rina Hugo, Liebeszauber, Tiffany, Pink Peace, Dublin.Bay, Forgotten Dreams, Royal William, Let Freedom Ring, Aloha and Julia Child. I have had very few issues with disease recently with any of my roses.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 18:10

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

Easy does it
    Dames de chennonceau
    Duchess de Brabant
    Europeana
    Queen of Sweden
    Quietness (buck rose, best in show)
    Belinda's dream (always spectacular)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I don't use any fungicides, and I garden in NJ. So, naturally, I'm familiar with blackspot, but a few of my roses are not -- or are only "vaguely familiar in passing" with blackspot. The cleanest of my roses, most of which arrived as own-root bands in Spring 2013, are:

'Archduke Charles'
    'Baltimore Belle'
    "Bermuda Spice"
    'Cardinal de Richelieu'
    'Charles de Mills'
    'Clotilde Soupert' (touches of mildew by late Autumn)
    "Darlow's Enigma"
    'Golden Buddha'
    'Honorine de Brabant'
    'Louis Philippe'
    'Marie Pavie'
    'Napoleon'
    'Nouveau Monde'
    'Orfeo'
    'Perle d'Or'
    'Pierre Notting'
    "Sombreuil" (the Climber, not the Tea)
    'Souvenir de la Malmaison'
    'Souvenir de Victor Landeau'
    'Souvenir du Docteur Jamain'

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 16:41

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Time to assess the healthiness of my roses this past year.

Actually, I worried less about disease and more about a general wimpiness and smallness in many of my roses that had to be pruned back drastically after last winter's brutal cold. I do hope they gain back some eagerness and vigor this next season.

HEALTHIEST:
    Home Run--I can't remember ever having any blackspot on this winner. I never spray them (I have 3 of them).

Double Knock Out -- I have 2 of them--they never get anything.

Munstead Woods--my favorite Austin--hardly gets even a passing blackspot!

The Fairy--impervious to BS

Mystic Beauty--this Bourbon (like SDLM) only has a few passing BS problems.

The Wedgewood --this Austin climber is still rather new, but so far has had almost no BS problems.

Felicia and Ghislaine de Feligonde--both are quite new, but have had no BS problems this past season.

Most of my minis--Green Ice (4), Popcorn Gourmet, Little Sunset (2). Unfortunately, Sweet Diana (7) needs a bit more care, but isn't bad on that score.

VERY HEALTHY, BUT HAVE OCCASIONAL PROBLEMS:
    Easter Basket, Pretty Jessica, Queen of Sweden (3), Molineux (2), Eutin (3), Pompenella, Elena (3).

GOOD BS RESISTANCE:
    The rest of my roses need a couple sprays in the spring and fall, but definitely are NOT disease magnets.

LOSER, HEALTH-WISE:
    One exception: Gypsy Carnivale--this is my little disease magnet that I assumed would not last long, given its general wimpiness, but it persists in hanging around. I haven't the heart to toss this beautiful disease-ridden HT. It's the only one I fuss over, in that respect.

Kate

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Midas Touch
    Kashmir
    My Girl
    Little Mischief
    Yellow Brick Road

None of these were defoliated from Black Spot this year when all my other roses were defoliated at least once. It was a hot and humid summer.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

Some of these are very new so things may change in a year or two. Some others were battling back after a very hard winter last year, but here goes:

Old-Timers
    1. Mrs. Dudley Cross- She has some growing to do to reach her former glory, but she's such a reliable rose for me and seems never to blackspot.
    2. Prairie Sunrise- Totally unaffected by the winter and every dumb thing I've done. Will sometimes blackspot a bit late in the season but usually clean.
    3. Amber Flower Carpet- Maybe not a rose for every situation, but it sailed through the winter without any dieback. It's disgustingly healthy and always in bloom.
    4. Rosy Dawn- a mini. This is a vigorous mini, always in bloom, usually clean.

Newbies
    1. Gourmet Popcorn- The rose for people who can't grow roses. Growing in a less than desirable spot, it's healthy and in bloom most of the time.
    2. Music Box- a Ping Lim rose; healthy, vigorous, usually in bloom.
    3. Julia Child- Just like everyone said, a great rose in many ways, including disease resistance.

For the record, I don't spray.

• edenh
    9 years ago

From Central Florida:
    No/very little bs:
    Julia Child
    Livin' Easy
    Happy Child
    Clothilde Soupert
    The faun

• bayourose
    9 years ago

My healthiest roses in my no spray, hot and humid Louisiana garden have been: sweet fragrance, freckles, Beverly, Mrs. B.R. can't, mons tillier, quietness, and molineaux. Hopefully they will continue to be healthy and provide more beautiful blooms! I can't wait for spring!