Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

When good names roses die...

Several years ago, I was lamenting the death of yet another rose in my yard, as I was still getting the hang of growing roses. As I dug up the remains and pulled out the name tag, I remember thinking, "Oh well, no more Hope for Humanity". Egad, what a depressing thought!

I know we've had conversations about roses you might buy just for the name, but that makes it all the more treacherous when they die. Just think of it - "New Day is over". "Beloved has gone". "No more Great Rosarians of the World". "I'll just have to live in a world without Love". "I gave Peace a chance, but it was an utter failure. World Peace is dying too". All of these apply to my yard over the years.

And there are endless possibilities with celebrity named roses. How would non-gardening friends react when you calmly tell them, "I killed Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, LeeAnn Rimes, and Paul McCartney, all in the same bed" (I did, by the way).

So what do you think - which roses had better not die in your yard or there will be dire consequences for you or the rest of the world? Just think of the responsibility we all have as rose gardeners (smile). Oh, and by the way, you will be happy to know that there is now once again Hope for Humanity (at least in my yard).

Cynthia

Comments (12)