Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When good names roses die...

Posted by Nippstress 5-Nebraska (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 20:08

Several years ago, I was lamenting the death of yet another rose in my yard, as I was still getting the hang of growing roses. As I dug up the remains and pulled out the name tag, I remember thinking, "Oh well, no more Hope for Humanity". Egad, what a depressing thought!

I know we've had conversations about roses you might buy just for the name, but that makes it all the more treacherous when they die. Just think of it - "New Day is over". "Beloved has gone". "No more Great Rosarians of the World". "I'll just have to live in a world without Love". "I gave Peace a chance, but it was an utter failure. World Peace is dying too". All of these apply to my yard over the years.

And there are endless possibilities with celebrity named roses. How would non-gardening friends react when you calmly tell them, "I killed Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, LeeAnn Rimes, and Paul McCartney, all in the same bed" (I did, by the way).

So what do you think - which roses had better not die in your yard or there will be dire consequences for you or the rest of the world? Just think of the responsibility we all have as rose gardeners (smile). Oh, and by the way, you will be happy to know that there is now once again Hope for Humanity (at least in my yard).

Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When good names roses die...

If you told people you killed all those people in the same bed it may raise an eyebrow and have numerous XXX sites contacting you...

Thankfully there is Hope for Humanity again....

SCG

o

ROCK & ROLL is dead!!!!!!

Still alive in my garage - but kinda funny.
Carol

o

"Falling in Love" was a total disaster.

o

Heaven on Earth has left us, and no Sweetness remains. For the Party Dress of Miss Alice has split a seam, and so shall never see a New Dawn, as Pink Traviata dances away. (Yikes...this wins the Bulwer-Flytten prize for worst opening sentence in a new novel, or some such). Diane

o

Golden Showers worked out wonderfully in one bed, but failed miserably in another.

*smirks*

o

This is something of a tangent, but there is a rose I always run across while exploring Heirloom's website called Oregon Trail. Probably widely considered an innocuous historical reference title, but every time I see it, I have a Pavlovian response. The first thing that immediately pops into my head is, “You have died of dysentery."

o

Seriously tempted, but decided that I just could not bring myself to grow Anne Boleyn. If I do, I would have to prune it, and, heaven forbid, deadhead it. Being beheaded once is enough for anyone.

o

My 'Perfect Moment' was over in the blink of an eye.
The neighbors' big boy jumped over our fence and landed feet first, breaking it off at the base.

After serving, for many years, as a haven of salvation for my eyes and nose, 'Graceland' is no more.
Lord, have mercy on my soul.

o

Beheading Anne Boleyn again!! I never would have thought of that. Yikes!
Carol

o

Haha, Carol. If I did grow AB and it dies, it might be actually be both a relief to AB and me ....

o

My Sterling Silver is missing. Gone with out a trace

o

Funny creative post!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here