Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

Newbie to rose seeds!! a few questions!

heavenlyfarm
10 years ago

Okay, I'm sorry if this is somewhere in this forums posts previously and I'm not a consistent roses forum visitor but I have a few questions! I do have several roses so I'm not completely new btw :P I just usually buy my roses when they are nicely sized already lol
Anyways, I see a few people who have rose seeds for trade and such, my questions are:
1. How long do they usually take till they usually have their first blooms?
2. I'm not so much concerned about color as that can be a left as a nice surprise but I would like highly fragrant roses, so should I only be growing rose seeds from fragrant varieties or is that also left to chance?
3. Could I winter sow seeds? It's my first year trying that with other seeds so I figure why not rose seeds? lol

I'm certainly up for a challenge but I'm not quite sure on details of growing seeds so open to helpful websites or direction! Again, sorry for asking questions that may be newbie ones and I thought I'd post here first instead of "growing from seed" as this is more specific!
~Michael
Thanks for putting up with me :) lol

Comments (3)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Happy Holidays, Michael!

1. How long do they usually take till they usually have their first blooms?

Six weeks to never. Some can flower within a month and a little more. Some never flower. Not all are able to flower.

2. I'm not so much concerned about color as that can be a left as a nice surprise but I would like highly fragrant roses, so should I only be growing rose seeds from fragrant varieties or is that also left to chance?

Pretty much left to chance. Two highly scented roses can easily produce one without scent, and vice versa. There are many things which affect scent. An old article of mine on Help Me Find - Roses helps to shed some light on scent. There are likely more recent discoveries, but the basics are still there.

3. Could I winter sow seeds? It's my first year trying that with other seeds so I figure why not rose seeds? lol

Winter is when you should sow rose seeds. Their germination slows to a virtual halt once temps rise much past about 70F. Some will continue germinating, but MOST will stop. If you live where winter is really severe, you may have to plant them indoors in a basement or greenhouse. I live in "The Land of Endless Summer" (Southern California) so my planting time is right now. Most of what will germinate this year must come up before the summer temps hit. A few continued germinating in the high heat this summer, but they are the exceptions rather than the rules. Good luck! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrance: Much Ado About Nothing?

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Kim gave you great answers to your questions but I wanted to welcome you and add a few things from a rank amateur.

As Kim said, I've had some bloom in as little as six weeks. Sweet little dear was LESS than two inches tall! But then again I just culled some this year because it was their third season without a single bloom. I needed the space and non-performers aren't worth their keep.

Fragrance, like any other trait, is all just a matter of luck and how the genes decide to mix it up. I can tell you that the default code seems to be a non-fragrant single blooms of some shade of pink. You'll get a lot of those.

I'm in a cold zone and I do all my seeds in the winter inside. They spend time in my fridge in plastic bags until they germinate when I plant them up into seed starter soil. I have a pdf paper I can send you on how I do mine. If you're interested PM me with your email address. I'm no expert but I can give you some basics. I have tried winter sowing outside once but nothing came up so I have never tried it again.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

p.s. If you bought those "rose seeds" from an Ebay trader in China/HongKong or whatever, it's a scam and you should probably just toss them and hope you didn't get taken for much. Most of what they send out are reportedly radish seeds. They most certainly ARE NOT what is advertised -- roses in fanciful colors, usually.