Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

How Best to Plant a Raised Bed?

Hello,
I have a small raised bed: 4'x4' and 8" high. I grew veggies in it, but never very successfully. The soil turned out to have a fungus!! and I cleaned it all out. It's back to bare dirt now.
Could I safely refill the bed and plant roses in it? And if so, what kind: would they have to be patios/miniatures or could I go bigger? How many floribundas, say, could I plant in that space -- or would it be more interesting to plant one large "specimen" rose, and if so, suggestions?
This area gets 6 hrs. of sun daily. definitely. There's a light-colored wall about 2 1/2 feet away (facing west). There are couple of Queen of Swedens in front of it, two Falstaffs and two Alnwicks on one side. Big cape honeysuckle (orange flowers) on the wall, very large potted pandorea on another side. I should note that the Austin roses I mentioned were just recently planted; I bought them from a local nursery for an insanely low price at the end of the season. They were in 3-gal pots and ridiculously rootbound. I know you're not supposed to do this, but, gulp, I did.
So the raised bed - I'd like to make it a rose showcase, but need help with the particulars. Thank you!! Sylvia

Comments (5)