Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mossy_z7wa

Stripe Happy

mossy_z7wa
9 years ago

There is a discussion on the Antique Roses forum about the enjoyment of striped roses - the only "stripey" I've ever had is a ht, Rainbow Niagara, aka Tropical Sunset I think. I've had it for two summers now, and it's just a great rose, a very good bloomer, and very healthy and vigorous, but no frgrance. To me it's a very happy rose, if a rose can be happy, lol. Each bloom looks like a cup of sunshine.

{{gwi:350193}}{{gwi:350195}}{{gwi:350197}}{{gwi:350198}}{{gwi:350199}}{{gwi:350200}}

Comments (14)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree that striped roses look happy and yours is beautiful!

I have had several over the years but I'm down to just two now.

Honorine de Brabant
    {{gwi:350201}}

Isolde Hit
    {{gwi:350202}}

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

I have Chihuly, a floribunda -- in fact, I have three of them. When they are all in bloom the effect is terrific.
    Some people consider striped roses "loud." I like loud, if it's at the front of the house. Makes an otherwise bland postwar stucco home "pop."
    Sylvia

• SweetElepaio
    9 years ago

There is something very cheerful about finding a stripey rose in bloom. Honorine de Brabant and Tropical Sunset are fantastic! Here's Scentimental.

• SweetElepaio
    9 years ago

And Vick's Caprice. =)

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

So pretty! I kind of collect stripeys. You're inspiring me to add Rainbow Niagra! (pic of my hypnotized and a link to my striped roses blog)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Striped Rose Diaries

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Holly, do you grow either Shadow Dancer or Flamingo Dancer? How do they do for you and what zone do you live in?

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Hmmmm... How did I miss this? You know stripeys are my favorites!! Well.. maybe they're second to the oddball colored ones. But sooo many more stripeys.

Love everybody's pics! Here's some of mine...

BROCELIANDE
    {{gwi:329639}}

ANVIL SPARKS

BUTTERFLY
    {{gwi:329638}}

ANDRE WILLEMSE
    {{gwi:329640}}

ALL AMERICAN MAGIC
    {{gwi:329641}}

ALFRED SISLEY
    {{gwi:329642}}

CANDY STRIPE
    {{gwi:329635}}

CABANA
    {{gwi:2121710}}

CAMILLE PISSARRO
    {{gwi:329636}}

FESTIVAL FANFARE
    {{gwi:2121711}}

GUY SAVOY
    {{gwi:329628}}

GYPSY FIRE
    {{gwi:329627}}

GRIMALDI
    {{gwi:329629}}

HARRY WHEATCROFT
    {{gwi:2121712}}

GEORGE BURNS
    {{gwi:329630}}

JULIO IGLESIAS
    {{gwi:329626}}

NEIL DIAMOND
    {{gwi:313331}}

MARVELLE
    {{gwi:329625}}

PEPPERMINT TWIST
    {{gwi:329617}}

PURPLE SPLASH CL
    {{gwi:329614}}

PAPAGENO
    {{gwi:329620}}

PINK INTUITION
    {{gwi:329615}}

PHILATELIE
    {{gwi:313327}}

PURPLE TIGER
    {{gwi:2121713}}

RUSTY
    {{gwi:329609}}

REMBRANDT VAN RYN
    {{gwi:329611}}

RED INTUITION
    {{gwi:329612}}

ROEDEAN
    {{gwi:329610}}

THE NIGHTWATCH
    {{gwi:329603}}

TIGER TAIL

SCENTIMENTAL
    {{gwi:2121714}}

SIMSALABIM
    {{gwi:2121715}}

STRANGER
    {{gwi:2121716}}

SOUTINE
    {{gwi:2121717}}

WONDERSTRIPE
    {{gwi:329602}}

9 years ago

Oh Beth, I am so glad you saw this and posted. Your roses are just fabulous! I just love seeing pictures of them. I am trying to decide on a new climbing rose. I would like a stripe or bicolor. I am looking at either Flamingo Dancer, Shadow Dancer, or Soaring Spirit (although I still love Purple Splash). I need one that gets tall (it will be on a very large rebar arch) and can take our heat and water restrictions--which is why I only go own root due to my deep mulching I have to do. I am leaning more towards the Moore and Burling roses. I know they can take it. Do you grow any of these? They will be growing near pink and pink/apricot colored roses (and possibly an occhi di fata--had to get that after I saw, I think. a picture of one you have--can't wait for this rose!) That anvil rose along with others you have are amazing!

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

I have SHADOW DANCER and SOARING SPIRITS. Guess I didn't get many pics of them last yr. I grow both of them along a perimeter fence on the west side of our property. SD grows out about 10ft and blooms pretty well. SP maybe a little less far-reaching, more like 8-9ft. Blooms pretty well also, but SD is better. Never heard of FLAMINGO DANCER. Wow I just looked it up on HMF and it looks really pretty. They don't list the parentage, but I'm wondering if SHADOW DANCER might be one of them, seeing as how Burling used "Dancer" in the name. Looks kinda ruffled like SD too. PURPLE SPLASH has not been a real great rebloomer for me, altho could be cuz it's still in a big pot waiting to find a place to plant it!

• lesmc
    9 years ago

OH...I want one of each of the above!! I LOVE stripe roses so much. Hoping to add Neil Diamond this spring. Wish I had more room for them all. Thanks everyone for these pictures. Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Beth, you are without a doubt the Queen of Stripes! Love that Anvil Sparks!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Droolworthy as always, Beth - and there were some roses in the mix here I hadn't seen before from you! I knew that Soutine and Roedean and Rembrandt van Ryn and Stranger and Simsalabim were unattainable at present times, but what about Tiger Tail or Butterfly? Those latter two are new to me - are they minis? And how did you get that lovely creamy tone on your Broceliande? Mine is always a white background. I keep begging Linda Loe at Long Ago Roses to track down Camille Pisarro for me as she sells many other Delbards, but so far no luck. I do have some of the other painters including my top 10 favorite Edgar Degas pictured here.

Lovely photos as always

Cynthia

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Oh Cynthia... I just found out my EDGAR DEGAS died. Nobody here in the US or even Canada carry it anymore. I was sooo upset when I realized it was gone. I have sooo many more stripeys that I didn't show here. Some didn't bloom last yr so I didn't have recent pics. Some I just forgot and really didn't want to overload the thread!! LOL

TIGER TAIL is an old J&P floribunda that apparently wasn't a very good rose in general, so they dumped it. It was intro'd along with PURPLE TIGER and another stripey FL that also got dumped early on. I don't quite remember the name but it was a white and orange stripe. Oh wait, maybe it was called ORANGE SPLASH or something like that. I never did purchase that one. I think the problem with TIGER TAIL was the fact that the blooms are really quite small for a floribunda. They average about 2". Now BUTTERFLY is a florist rose that I got from someone I can't really mention, as I don't want him to be inundated by people asking for roses. I also got my SIMSALABIM from him.

If I had time, I'd try to root some of these obscure roses. But I just don't have the time right now.

9 years ago

Thanks again Beth for talking about Showdow Dancer and Soaring Spirit. I am thinking I am going to get Flamingo Dancer. I am a sucker for a pink rose! Burling states it gets bigger than SD and there is quite a bit of space to cover on that arch.