Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckramer48

Poseidon & Plum Perfect Roses

blueKYstream
9 years ago

I've been reading forums on this site for about 5 years, but this is my first time posting. I live in Kentucky not far from Cincinnati, OH which is zone 6/5. I had a Livin' Easy rose die last year during the brutal winter, and I've been researching different rose options ever since. I like mixing in some unique plants that flower a lot, but aren't the same old, same old. I liked the Livin' Easy, but I'm not crazy about roses that seem to be a mix of colors. Livin' Easy was more a reddish-orange color that faded to a pinkish-orange.

I have some questions about Poseidon (a Kordes rose) I'm hoping can be answered. I've read a lot of great things about this rose; it sounds like it's a rose that's healthy and hardy. I have some questions though. I called an online retailer that said that the rose does well, but the blooms suffer during the hot, humid days. I was wondering if anyone that grows this rose can attest to that. Does this rose fade much? Also, is Poseidon self-cleaning? Last, how tall can I expect it to get? I've read all sorts of varying heights. Most retailers say 3 to 3.5 feet, but it sounds like that may be a bit shorter than some attest to.

One alternative that the retailer gave me was Plum Perfect. She said it bloomed better in humidity. There isn't a ton of information on this rose as it is fairly new to the market (2014 introduction I think). In addition to the above questions, I'm not sure if this rose is going to get the size I want. From what I read, this rose will not grow over 3 feet tall. It may be premature to have this question answered if it was introduced last year. If I went with this rose, I'd put it in a different spot and probably choose a 2nd rose.

Comments (47)

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

I have both, but were planted last April. Yes, Poseidon's blooms are big and fluffy, and do seem to be prone to rain damage. Mine has been narrow and tall (like 7 feet tall) in growth habit. Plum Perfect is a round bush, but my guess is that, for some, they should not be lumped together: Poseidon is "lavender", which is an elusive color among roses. "Newflora", a poster on this form, whom I believe is affiliated with the company that introducing both roses into the U.S. said that PP won't be getting too tall (or so I recall...)

I tend not to like roses with tall and narrow growth habit, and am hoping that my Poseidon will round out somewhat. Or perhaps I should plant another one by its side so that it is not a few sticks shooting sky hig h ... :)

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response farmerduck. Wow, 7 feet tall after 1 growing season is a lot taller than I was expecting! I was planning to put it in front of my house next to a Julia Child Rose. The two roses would flank the dining room window next to the front door. 5 feet would be a good height. 7 feet is awfully big though. A reasonably narrow rose wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for me. Have you had to deadhead Poseidon's flowers or noticed that they fade much? I wonder if it is normal to grow that tall or if it may have been some sort of offshoot?

Any roses I've grown take about 3 years to get to the size they'll be. I would imagine your Poseidon would spread some next year. May I ask how big your Plum Perfect got or how big you think it will get? Any issues with blackspot or defoliation? Do you like one rose more than the other? Sorry for the bombardment of questions :). Thanks again for responding!

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Although it is too early to judge the growth habit of Poseidon after just one season, it is for sure that it won't go well with Julia Child. JC is a well behaved bush as about as wide as it is tall. It is about 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide after four seasons, two transplants and a really brutal winter.

Poseidon's flowers last quite long on the bush if I remember correctly. I don't remember now, but my impression was that they last and last and don't fade much. I had a really bad outbreak of rose midge last year, and was very excited to see three clusters of blooms on my Poseidon last fall. I remember saying to myself that those blooms surely last on the bush. Note that is late fall, and I don't really know from personal experience how well they stay on the bush in hot summer.

My PP is about 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide after a year. I think Newflora said that PP won't get too big. Sounds like a plant that is similar to JC in growth habit.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm...that's strange about your Julia Child. My JC gets about 5.5 feet tall and about 3 feet wide. It's in a corner of the house I wish got more sun, but she does fine with a little care. She defoliates a bit due to less than ideal sun exposure, but still blooms well. Your JC height surprises me since I don't think the weather is a huge difference between NJ and northern Kentucky. I initially thought Poseidon would be a good companion, but it sounds like I need to think again. I might be able to put Poseidon in a different spot if the consensus from you and others seem to be favorable despite being "un-tame" so to speak.

I think Plum Perfect at 3 feet is a bit small unfortunately.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Hey. I only have Poseidon and I love it. Seems to always be in bloom and they do last a long long time. I've always pruned mine so it must not be a good self cleaner. It does fade a little but I love every stage from that beautiful vintage looking bud to the full petaled ruffly bloom. I don't remember mine wilting much in the hot sun but it's pretty much in shade by 3 o'clock. Mine gets about 4 1/2 ft tall by 3 maybe 3 1/2 ft wide. I absolutely love it. I am going to order me a Plum Perfect this spring from Chamblees!!!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I live in Lexington, Ky. and have Poseidon ordered for 2015. I am assuming it's growth habit to be similar to Beverly, but maybe a bit more bushier? People that grow Poseidon seem to highly recommend the rose and post some great pictures. Last year, mid season, I got Love Song and I plan on comparing them.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was considering Love Song as well, but there were quite a few people on here I read that lost it over the winter. It didn't sound as winter hardy as Poseidon, so I crossed it off the list after losing Livin' Easy last winter.

Prettypetals, I wonder if the height difference between farmerduck and your Poseidon has to do with the rootstock? Your weather is warmer, so I would have thought if one was taller it might be yours. I try to deadhead, but last year I didn't have a chance to do so very often. I was hoping I wouldn't have to with Poseidon, but it might not be a deal breaker for me.

kentucky_rose, I might have to do the same thing. I'm waiting to be pushed over the edge though. I lived in Lexington for a while during and after college. UK fan? Go wildcats!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

blueKYstream,
    I think most Lexingtonians bleed blue! Did you visit the Arboreum? I try to plant the graft/root system at least 2 inches below ground level and spring prune. Last season I got South Africa, Pink Enchantment, and another Beverly. These were vigorously growing plants. I am assuming they will be very winter hardy. Poseidon should be another winter hardy plant with some fragrance and disease resistance. Post your comments next fall on Plum Perfect if you decide to get it! Good luck with your selection(s).

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Kentucky_Rose. No I didn't visit the Arboretum unfortunately. I really didn't start getting into gardening until I purchased my first house about 6 years ago. I'll be looking forward to seeing your analysis of Love Song and Poseidon. I have my eye on South Africa if I ever get more room. Whatever I go with I will certainly share my experience. Thank you for your comments!

• blocke19
    9 years ago

Kentucky_Rose, I also live just outside Lexington. I too have Love Song and Poseidon is on his way, so I look forward to comparing them! Have you found any local rose vendors that you like? What are your best performing varieties? Thanks so much!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Lesley, more lovely, enabling pictures. Which one of the lavenders is on the right and near the trees?

Blocke19, my fav local nursery is Wilson's in Frankfort. Some of my fav producers are: PJPII, Welcome Home, Tammy Clemons, Conundrum, Marijke Koopman. My South Africa was new and establishing this year, but based on Lesley's pictures, I'm expecting that to be one of my favorites.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lesmc,

I love your garden! There's so much to see. I'll bet that pathway gets a lot of use!

Blueberry Hill - I've been so enamored with learning more about Poseidon and Plum Perfect I forgot Blueberry Hill and Love Song were the other Lavender/Mauves I was contemplating. I suppose I was worried that those two are a bit more winter tender. I have a rock garden, so it can be a bit of a pain to pile up and subsequently remove dirt from around the base. The shape and blooms of Blueberry Hill in the picture definitely look lovely.

Maybe you can help me choose. My house faces northwest so any rose I get would be in part-shade/sun. My JC gets blackspot, but she keeps blooming despite a little defoliation. Livin' Easy is in the picture, but has since died during the winter. I was hoping either Poseidon, Plum Perfect, Love Song or Blueberry Hill would work beside her with minimal to no spraying. I think Plum Perfect may be too small, but perhaps I'll end up getting it or another for my mother. I'm open to any of your thoughts or suggestions. I was leaning towards Poseidon, because it seems to be a bit more hardy and maybe better resistance to black spot. Since many of you grow one or more and live a short drive away, what are your thoughts?

• lesmc
    9 years ago

BlueKy, Thanks for the pictureâ¦your home is lovely. I have a few thoughts, but not sure they will help! Poseidon is tall and thin. this shape should be in consideration. Love Song can be pruned to be fuller, Blueberry Hill is a florabunda that is full with somewhat single ruffled blooms.I must say that I spray every 2-3 weeks with no blackspot. If you are not going to spray, Poseidon might be your best choice.I believe Plum Perfect will be too small. About winter protectionâ¦I pile chopped up leaves on the few tender roses I grow. Just around the base. In spring, I work the chopped leaves into the soil. Actually, I cover all beds with chopped leaves that are worked into soil in spring! If needed, A bag of compost is divided over the leaves and worked into soil every spring. Very easy.I know you could do this. Even mulch over this..I do. I know anyone that you choose will be a beautiful addition to your landscape. What a shame to loose Living Easy. such a pretty rose. Wish I had better pictures to share with you. Good luck with your choice. Lesley Blueberry Hill photo

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Leslie. I think I'm going to get Poseidon for myself and then maybe get Plum Perfect for my mother. The fact that Poseidon grows upright is probably more of a positive than a negative for the spot I have. I can be assured that any visitors won't be thorned! My mom could use a smaller purple rose in her garden. I spray every so often, but she definitely won't spray. I've heard that Plum Perfect does well in southern climates, but the hardiness is still being tested.

If I had a mulch garden, I would have no problem with winterizing the rose. Having a rock garden though makes it a bit more difficult. It's still do-able. However, if there are no major drawbacks to Poseidon, I'm thinking I might as well go with the hardy and more disease resistant rose . It sounds like they are all winners though. I'm going to save Love Song and Blueberry Hill in case I get more room in the future!

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Whatever happened to a post someone did about Poseidon and Plum Perfect? It had a lot of great information comparing the two and at the end of the post they showed a drop dead gorgeous picture of PP and I responded to it. I can't for the life of me find that post now and I'm pretty darn sure it was on this thread! Did GardenWeb have a hiccup and lose both the posts? I'd really like to find that post again!

• lesmc
    9 years ago

BlueKY...great choice. I know you will be pleased with Poseidon. Ruffles and disease free. Can`t wait to see pictures next summer. Lesley

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosecandy, there was a post like that on here, but I'm not sure where it went either :(. It had some great information from a Newflora employee.

Thank you for your help Lesley! I'll definitely post some pictures.

Casey

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

I'm glad to know I'm not crazy, but I'm sad that it disappeared :(
    Do you remember the person's username? Maybe we can track them down and ask them to re-post it.

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

could it be it? mike-rivers started the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum Perfect

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I don't remember what the name was. However, after a search I'm willing to bet it was newroses. newroses links her email address (a newflora email address) under the "Kordes Florentina?" forum. If interested, you can look for it there.

For those interested in PP or Poseidon, I intend to purchase these two roses from Chamblee's. Currently, they are unavailable. The rep told me that they are growing both of these roses though, so they should be available at some point in the near future. I just need to figure out when it might be best to have them deliver the roses.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Would it be rude to use the newflora e-mail address to ask newroses to re-post the post? I'd really like it to be here for myself and any others who are interested, but I don't want to be inconsiderate.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think it would hurt to send an email or maybe post in a forum that they've been known to post. All they could say is no.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

The gentleman who made the post contacted me and sent me an email with the information and picture he previously posted. He gave me permission to re-post it for him.

From Chris Pellett:

"Poseidon in our numerous trials has never reached a height of 6 feet. What we generally see is that it is about 3-4 feet tall as an own root. On multiflora root stock it is somewhat taller reaching about 4 feet- perhaps a bit taller. There are bushes being sold on Dr. Huey rootstock but I do not have these in trial. I saw them in a production field at harvest time and these were about 3.5 feet tall. Poseidon is what we term an upright form which means it is taller than it is wide. We typically see it as being 2.5'- 3' wide in our trials. Know that we prune our shrubs later winter to about 2.5-3 feet which certainly affects the height in the summer. My experience on the issue of the flowers fading is that in very warm weather there is some fade but not extreme. We have had some flower suppression at temperatures over 95 F but it returns to blooming quite well as soon as the temperature drops. The color is a grey-lavender which is one of the rarest colors. It does have some red guard petals in bud. It was awarded an ADR so the disease resistance is quite good. We think it is quite cold hardy although I am not sure about it surviving a USDA Zone 4 - I tend to think this might be beyond its range of hardiness.

Plum Perfect is quite different in both bloom color and habit. The color of the bloom is a dark plum lavender. It is growing 3-3.5 tall in our trials and is a compact shrub being about as wide as it is tall. We chose to introduce this rose because of how well it was performing in warm southern climates. It holds the plum colored blooms without significant fading and does not seem to suffer from heat suppression of the bloom. The foliage is very shiny medium green. We don't know yet about how hardy it is in USDA Zone 4-5 but we have it in trials to see. Kordes chose not to introduce this rose in northern Germany so I would be a bit cautious about how well it performs in cold northern climates. It has been a successful variety in S. Africa, Great Britain and Australia - all pretty warm or at least mild climates. I personally love this rose and it does extremely well in our trial fields in Oregon. The only downside is it does not have fragrance, but makes up for that with both color and the amount of blooms."

The breathtaking picture is of Plum Perfect - beautiful!

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Personally I like Poseidon or Novalis better in terms of the colour of the flower. I find Plum perfect a bit harsh. I am not saying it is not beautiful but a bit rich or heavy compared to Poseidon. Since I live in a blackspot magnet area, I would wait for Poseidon since it is supposed to be resistant to BS, according to Rose Search website.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Rosecandy. I knew there was a very informative post that was deleted. Great work getting it put back up!

JJPeace, I haven't seen either in person unfortunately. Although I think you're right about Poseidon possibly being more BS resistant. PP sounds promising as well though. Both roses look great from the pictures. I'm not sure which I like better, but I'm Poseidon is certainly more of a rare color it seems. That's why I might lean towards liking that color more. I think I'm going to get both and give PP to my mom. I'm just a bit worried about it surviving the winter in zone 6/5. It's supposed to get down to 6 degrees tonight. I'm over these cold winters we've had this year and last year!

9 years ago

You made a good point Blue. I haven't seen either roses in person either. I am judging by the pictures too.

Well my advice to you is, if you like them both, get them both. Plant them both in your garden and your mom as well. Roses can be a bit pricey but I still think it is affordable for a little peace of heaven.

In my experience I find that if you really like it and you don't have to break the piggy bank then get it and enjoy it. You may not have the opportunity again.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

No problem blueKYstream! Actually, I hadn't yet gotten around to e-mailing newroses when I received an e-mail from Chris, so getting it re-posted was all his doing.

I agree with you JJPeace; PP does look much more saturated in color than Poseidon. Have you tried Stainless Steel? It's a hybrid tea and it's not as disease resistant as Poseidon, but if you like the less saturated mauve/lavender colors I think you'd love it.

I think purple roses have become my new favorite color (or obsession, but I'm not admitting that).

Stainless Steel:
    {{gwi:2121730}}

9 years ago

That is a beautiful flower, Rosecandy. Thank you for sharing. Too bad it won't be hardy in my area and not B.S. resistant.

This rose would look very nice in a semi-shade area. It will probably loose its colour under bright sun.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Actually it hasn't faded here, and it's in full sun. I'm sorry you can't grow it. Maybe someday you'll be able to get Poseidon and it'll do really well for you.

9 years ago

Thanks Rosecandy. One of the great things about this forum is finding about different roses grown in different areas. Thanks for the suggestion. It is much appreciated and the beautiful picture too.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I put my order for POSEIDON and PLUM PERFECT in today at Roses Unlimited. Chamblee's had PP, but the rep told me they wanted to grow their stock of Poseidon. Poseidon wouldn't be available until the Fall likely. I looked at Roses Unlimited's website. Based on the shipping, I figured I might as well throw another rose into the order.

I had really wanted an orange rose from the beginning, but I gave up with the thoughts that I wouldn't find a really healthy one. From the great things Kentucky_Rose and Lesley had to say about SOUTH AFRICA, I thought I might try that as well (which prompted me to read some of the things you two and others had written on other forums). I guess it's not quite orange in the literal sense, but it looks and sounds like a great rose. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences! I look forward to seeing them grow!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I have 2 Stainless Steel's. Love the bloom, but it is bad for BS and lots of winter dieback.
    Here's a close-up pic of South Africa and I hope this helps on the color. Last year, 1st season, the blooms weren't long lasting.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your South Africa looks great! The color seems right in the middle of yellow/orange spectrum to my eyes. It seems like it might be a unique color in the garden. For what it's worth, I'm not crazy about the orange roses that fade to pink, which is one reason I chose this rose. I haven't seen much on the size or shape, but I'm guessing it'll get to be a healthy rose about 5' tall or so and who knows how wide.

I might be in the minority. I don't cut roses, and I'm not crazy about the shape or form of HT's as a whole. Though, I'm new to growing roses, so maybe the HT's will eventually grow on me. The SS blooms look lovely though.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

enjoy your new roses! I love the bloom shape on Poseidon/Novalis, but unfortunately the bush shape and lack of scent don't work in my small space. I hope they do well for you, would love a neat lavender.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ninkasi! I wonder if Lavender Veranda might work in your garden? I have no experience with it, but I came across it earlier.

This picture is from newflora.com

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I Just received my order from Roses Unlimited. They were packed very well. Plum Perfect (left) and Poseidon (middle) are preparing to bloom. I'm sure it won't take South Africa long though. I think I'm going to like the Plum Perfect color the best of the two, but I got that for my mother. Either way, I'm excited. Hope this helps anyone that might be interested.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

They look nice and healthy. I like the color on Plum Perfect so far (bud). Here is a photo of my Poseidon which just bloomed for the first time today.

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just saw your picture on the other post. I definitely like the bloom in your picture. The bud looks really inconspicuous, but if it turns into that I'll be happy. Can't wait to see what Poseidon, PP and South Africa grow into!

• nikthegreek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's called Novalis over here. Grows to about 4 feet for me with good winter pruning. Easy to prune it to a cup shape. No arching tendencies (this can be either a good or a bad thing depending on your preferences). No scent to speak of to my nose. Blooms last long but dry up somewhat in the hot sun. Good rebloom. No blackspot (not that we have much over here) but some mildew afliction. Tricky to mix with other colours IMO.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

BlueKYstream, your roses look so good! Plum Perfect bud has captured my eye. Keep us updated on the feedback about these 3 new plants. It sounds like all 3 are winners. I got my Poseidon from Palatine this year and I will be comparing it to Love Song (last year). The way Poseidon broke dormancy was most impressive, the appearance of health and vigor. Anyway it's off to a good start.

• hugogurll
    8 years ago

Looking at Poseidon for three years now. It tops out at about 4.5 feet so not too tall. For the second spring now, the blooms don't open well and begin to turn a yucky grey color. Seems slow to repeat too. We had a shovel talk recently. Can't say enough good words about Golden Beauty (South Africa). Great in so many ways.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

I'm still debating whether or not to try Plum Perfect here as a no spray... We have cooler weather patterns throughout the summer. Hardly gets above 90 degrees... Mostly 70's & 80's. Does get humid and rain a lot some months...

I should just buy it next year and try it I guess...

• blueKYstream
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I gave that one to my mom, but I've seen it a couple times this year. I really like the color. It was perfectly healthy this year and we've had a ton of rain this year near Cincinnati. I think I just heard that it was the wettest July on record. I know it's difficult to draw conclusions on a 1st year plant (especially one growing in someone else's yard), but I like what I see so far. From what I've read, the hot and humid isn't a problem for Plum Perfect. However, there was some uncertainty on winter hardiness due to it being a new introduction though.

Picture taken a couple months ago

8 years ago

Thanks blueKYstream! Yes I've been reading Plum Perfect does well in hot/humid areas. That's why I was wondering if PP would bloom well in our cooler climate. Also was wondering how long do PP's blooms last on the bush? Anyone? Thanks!

Of course Cincinnati Ohio is only 5-6 hours from us...

• chris2486
    8 years ago

Hi Jim,

PP does well in my fall blooming well into November in Oregon - actually being one of my latest bloomers. I think it is a rather compact plant and I think Kordes chose not to introduce it in Germany because of its small stature in a cooler climate. I am hearing some good results for the rose in USDA Zones 5 & 6 so I think it will be fine just perhaps a more compact plant.

8 years ago

Thanks Chris! How long does the blooms last on the bush on PP...? Do blooms blow fast or last? Thanks!