Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Roses that look good together

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I know we all have different tastes, but I have been wondering what roses some of you have that in your opinion look good together? Also, what are some of the varieties that go well with each other? Would love to see some pictures of rose varieties that make good companions, also any suggestions or opinions.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 6:29

Comments (15)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I think this will depend greatly upon how one interprets "roses that look good together." Personally, I like companions to set each other off -- light next to dark, complementary colors, etc. Others like a bed to be more gradual, with each rose a subtle shift from its neighbor -- purples merging with dark blue-leaning reds, then pinks, next to peaches, then apricots, merging into strong yellows, then light yellows, then white, for example. So how do YOU like them?

:-)

~Christopher

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

OK - I'll bite. Here are Cecile Brunner and banksia lutea. Usually the CB starts to bloom after the banksia is done, but one year they decided to bloom together. I like it because the colors are both pale and soft, and the blooms are both small.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Here are Crimson Glory and Sombreuil (aka Colonial White) -

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Last one, Buff Beauty and Summer Wine.

Jackie

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie - I think your combinations are lovely, thanks for sharing them.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Great color schemes Jackie!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Jackie, your 'Crimson Glory, CL' and "Sombreuil' and purple Clematis were my inspiration for what I planted to climb a scalped Callery pear tree -- the Rose 'Orfeo' and Clematis 'H. F. Young' and 'Henryi'. It'll probably be another two years before I see something like your pic, but it's worth the wait. Here's a pic from this Spring, a couple months after the Clematis were planted on either side of 'Orfeo', which went in last year. Of course, the color is off -- in real life, it's a little darker than 'Crimson Glory' (but smells the same). A few weeks ago, I wrapped a few 10'+ canes of 'Orfeo' into the tree. Looking forward to Spring!

{{gwi:320652}}

~Christopher

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

That red, white and blue combination is just fantastic in Jackie's garden. I must get that Clematis..presumably HF Young...

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Mariorena - the clematis in that pic is Jackmanii, in case that helps.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

A general rule that I've found works well is to keep cool colors separate from warm ones. A purplish red rose just won't look good next to an orange one. White, cream and pale yellow look nice with either cool or warm colors.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Ingrid, I'd generally agree with you, with one caveat -- cool and warm can mix well if one is at the dark end of the spectrum and the other at the pale end. So pale yellow will go great with dark purple, but orange is too dark and they look rather harsh (to my eyes). On the other hand, orange will go nicely with lavender. So when I was putting things in the ground, I went by just pale vs dark. 'Jude the Obscure' looks rather nice next to 'Monsieur Boncenne'. And while this pic is not the best, it shows how the rose 'Yellow Sweetheart, Cl' looks next to clematis 'Niobe'.

{{gwi:264538}}

~Christopher

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

oh ok Jackie...thanks for that...I didn't realise it was Jackmanii...

..regarding putting two colours together...I always think I can get away with it if I introduce a third which complements both, and that third is usually something white... although I wouldn't deliberately put pink next to orange, but unfortunately it sometimes happens and I have one of those '''oh what have I done'' moments... I expect we've all been there....

..just noticed Jackie has done something like this with Buff Beauty and Summer Wine, which some might think clash, but has introduced a purple Clematis to tone it all down... beautifully...

This post was edited by Marlorena on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 15:59

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Christopher, you make an excellent point that I completely agree with, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Your combo works so beautifully because you've chosen a dark purple with a light yellow. There is excitement there but not a garish clash of colors such as, say, lavender and orange. I have yellow irises among my roses and somehow that works, even though yellow roses wouldn't, so sometimes it's also enough if something with a strong color has a very different shape and look. Besides, by the time you tire of it, it's stopped blooming. There really are no cut and dried rules and that's what makes gardening fun and personal.

Ingrid

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Sorry I have no pic of this combo. 'Royal Sunset' climber with 'Chicago Peace'. Scrumptous. The full-bodied soft orange of R.S. with the rose-pinks and apricoty tones of C.P. are truly made for one another.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012