Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socal10_gw

Pink spots on roses. What's going on?

SoCal10
11 years ago

Hello,
Just moved in to a new house and the previous owner did not take care of the dozens of roses in the back yard. I had given them a soft trimming, along with deadheading back in late August and a new blooms are emerging. Unfortunately the foliage is turning yellow/brown at the tips and as the flower blooms, they get covered in these pink spots. Not sure what it is. Maybe a fungus?

Can anyone help me identify this issue and provide a remedy?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Are all of the flowers getting pink spots? My lighter colored roses (white and pinks) get spotted by rain like that. As for your leaf tips, could be a few things, have you sprayed the bushes with anything? Often chemicals will pull at the end of leaves and get burnt in the sun. Photos would help.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Looks like botrytis (sp?). That happens in cool weather sometimes. I think it's a fungus.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Yes, botrytis from all the rain and sprinkling and winter dampness. Totally normal. You could spray with fungicide, but that is not really worth it or super effective at this time of year. It vanishes once the weather dries up.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Yes, it is Botrytis fungus, or possibly Alternaria. Botrytis germinates when the roses are wet in cool weather. It can also cause rotting of petals, balling of flowers, and black canker on the bark near cuts or frozen tissue. It is very hard to control. Effective sanitation is probably impossible in the outdoor garden. Frequent calcium sprays promote resistance, but that's a lot of trouble. I just discard the rotting flowers. The disorder will go away when the weather changes.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Could be cold or rain spots but most likely botrytis.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

If it really bothers you, break off the flowers and discard them.

• SoCal10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I was afraid it would be Boytris, but if it's not going to kill the bush then I'll just let it run its course over the winter.

This is our first winter here in California. Lots of new plants and a completely different climate. Can't wait to learn though!

• jerijen
    11 years ago

One thing you're going to learn is that socal has a million micro-climates. But, yes, roses are still blooming in most of socal, and even our paltry winter rains may mess stuff up a bit. No harm done.

Jeri

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Well I learned something! Always saw the spots appear during rainy time and disappear on new blooms so didn't think much of it past the rain. Thanks everyone!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Karolina, the rain usually produces the right conditions for the botrytis to grow and that's why you see it most often during rainy periods. So it's easy to assume it's from the rain and not realize it's actually a disease. For the most part it's just makes the blooms unsightly and isn't a cause for alarm over the health of the plant. I just remove the ugly blooms and wait for dry weather to set in.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Rainy winter in So Cal = icky roses in winter

On the other hand, rainy winter = water available in summertime + happy roses in spring. So, we just deal with it--focus on the Camellias and Aloes and full rain barrels in winter, turn a blind eye to the roses as necessary. :)

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

When I saw the name of this thread, I was really hoping you meant something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Raspberry Cream Twirl'

• Wendy Heinz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think it's beautiful. I'm in bay area, cali. ❤