Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Your Most Treasured Modern Rose?

Despite the number of roses one has, there are often one or a handful that a gardener may be especially attached to. I am especially drawn or attached to Astrid Grafin de Hardenberg due to its historical significance and beauty. Which is your most treasured rose, and, if you do not mind sharing the why, or providing images, please do:)
Lynn

Comments (20)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Paradise Found, because of the unique scent it has. Brings me wonder every time I smell it. I can't believe such a scent is real, and I have no way to describe it. :) The beauty of the rose is incredible.
    Some really weird coloring going on in the picture. Way prettier in person.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I would have to say Aloha, because one evening after work my dear husband, who had taken a trip that day, surprised me with this climbing rose. He had stopped at a nursery and asked what they recommended, he knew I wanted a climber in a particular spot and he knew I liked pink, so he brought me an Aloha and helped me plant it, so it would be done correctly. He knew how much I loved roses, so he taught me everything I know about how to have those beautiful roses! I believe that Aloha bush was the catalyst. I don't necessarily think it the most beautiful, but I do treasure it!

• mariannese
    10 years ago

Radiance is my most treasured modern rose. I had wanted it since I first saw it in the Sangerhausen rosarium in 1998 where it was the healthiest of all hybrid teas. Because it is not available anywhere in Europe I had given up the hope of ever having it when I finally had a plant in 2011 from Rogue Valley Roses by way of a friend. It was lovely its first year, still in a pot, but it deteriorated in the ground. It lives but doesn't bloom. I may have to accept that it's not suited to my climate.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Peace. I remember it when I was a little boy. My mom grew it in the front flower bed when we lived in Delaware. Has always been a good rose for me.

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

Mine (this year) was Charles de Gaulle. Here's the last two blooms from my garden last week.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oooh!!! I passed on Charles de Gaulle this year. Argh!!! Why?!!! Yours is gorgeous!! Is the smell fantastic? Does it bloom lots?
    Carol

• Ronn Bonites
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if this is even a modern rose but its habit seems to suggest so.

This is easily my favorite rose in my garden. The foliage, the unique mossing, the vigorous growth and cluster-flowering, the creamy whiteness of its petals, and the amount of pollen it gives, it's all that I could ask for in a rose! The only flaw it has is that its mossing attracted some aphids before but they've all been taken care of now. Plus it's easier to spot them since they all flocked around the flowers. :D

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

Carol,

My CDG is a first year rose but it had about 12 blooms over the year. The fragrance has not, as yet, developed but I expect great things from him next year.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I'll have to follow your posts on this rose. :)
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

My very dear and precious to me, Pinocchio.

{{gwi:350495}}

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a tough question. There are so many. But, I think maybe the one I would say is my most treasured is ROEDEAN. It's a gorgeous rose that's nearly always in bloom during the growing season. Loads of beautifully formed rosettes that swirl open into these gorgeous pink and white striped blooms. This is one of Frank Benardella's creations that never got marketed much. I may well be the only person who still has this plant. I did send cuttings to Frank before he passed, as he had lost his original plant. I don't know if he was able to get any to bud or not. I also sent some to Cliff before he closed up EuroDesert Roses. He managed to root a few, as I recall seeing it on Vintage's list when they took his plants. I don't know if any of those survived or not. I really should try rooting it myself so it doesn't die off totally one day.

{{gwi:350497}}

{{gwi:350499}}

This pic shows a cluster that was probably more than a week old, and during the middle of July when it was really hot.
    {{gwi:350501}}

This post was edited by beth on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 11:48

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Although I no longer have it (gophers) I abolutely loved Yves Piaget. Its huge pink, frilly flowers lit up the garden in a way that few other roses have done.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth,

Roedean is gorgeous. HMF does not list a source for this rose. I can see why it is treasured.

Jim_AV,

Charles de Gaulle is gorgeous!

Lynn

• rross
    10 years ago

Old Fragrance. Not only are the flowers huge (see jumbo tissue box under lower flower) and very fragrant, but the plant itself is tough. I grew it from a cutting posted to me from a dear friend living in another state. She has since died, so this rose is extra special for me.

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

rross, I have to agree. I have Old Fragrance from Hortico and I love the rose. Even in the desert, the blooms are fragrant and the plant is huge!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh that's good news. I have Old Fragrance (bare root rose this spring) and I loved the blooms it had. It was quite vigorous too. The fragrance was amazing!! So it's nice to see it continues to be stellar.
    Carol

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Away from the Austins and climbes it would be 'Chicago Peace'.
    Don't even remember how I came by my first one 30+ years ago.

Decent disease resistance here, fragrance doesn't penetrate my allergies, ok repeats, sorta average in every way for a HT until a bloom opens! Swoon.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Canadian Rose,what vendor has Old Fragrance? Thanks.
    Susan

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I got it this spring. So it was either Hortico or Palantine. Not sure if they have it this year. :)

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Alba Medilland.

I like all the Medilland series, and I think Alba is the best of all.

It is really a repeat blooming short rambler, or large shrub. It so far grew well for me in CA, hot and dry, and now is growing and blooming well in NY, cold and wet. Bloom was almost constant in CA, not quite as much bloom in NY, but still does repeat reliably all summer into fall. The small leaves are shiny and seem to resist most diseases; for me it had almost no BS, and no mildew in CA.

Canes are long and flexible and can be easily trained, or left to make a pretty, arching shrub. In my present 5a climate, it is the next best thing to growing Noisettes, having the the same graceful habit and appearance, but no fragrance. It is an excellent landscape shrub which I believe will grow most places where roses can be grown.