Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberry trees allelopathic?

Posted by bluegirl z8TX (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 21:17

Just dug a great hole near one for a musk rose to climb up. But Peter Beales in Classic Roses (I think) warns they can poison roses. Really? I think the tree is the typical native TX white mulberry. Please advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberry trees allelopathic?

I've gardened around both fruitless mulberry and the truly horrid paper mulberries they used extensively here before they developed the fruitless type. Neither appeared to ever "poison" anything, but their roots are SO invasive and SO vigorous, they invade any pots which sit on the ground and densely fill any disturbed soil anywhere within their root zones. I know of no way to prevent it. My dad used to have terrible problems getting the danged Bermuda grass to grow near the trunks of the fruitless mulberries in his back yard. It was definitely a case of such dense roots robbing all moisture from the soil rather than root toxicity. Kim

o

Mulberries are in the fig family, and yes, the whole gang is infamous for dense, matted, wandering roots. Beales may be speaking from experience, but what killed his roses was starvation and dehydration, not alleopathy. IF the mulberry is fairly young, and IF the rose is old enough, and a robust enough grower, it MIGHT survive. I planted a Francois Juranville (it's an epically robust, rapid growing wichuriana) to climb into a mulberry, and it killed the mulberry, lol. But Francois, maybe Mermaid, and a few other monsters are all I'd take a chance on growing up into a mature mulberry. I'm afraid your musk rose hasn't a chance.

o

Dang. I really dug a GREAT hole, LOL. But thank you so much for the warnings. I actually planted the tree--it's a good distance from the house & the birds love the fruits. Yeah, I chopped some of those yeller roots as I was digging.

Old R. moschata will have to climb a cedar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here