Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintering over roses

Posted by LindainAlaska 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 21:23

Because of our short growing season (90) days and long cold winters I grow roses in ten gallon containers and try to winter them over with limited success. I used to overwinter them at the green house but at $65 a plant it's just not worth it! I tried keeping them in the garage at40 degrees covered by brown paper bags to keep the light but they kept sprouting! I can't bury them outside for the winter because it is so cold. I put them under lights in the garage to begin growing out in late April and move them out when it warms up. I can get new plants by mail order every year but that gets pricey and the plants don't really fill out and bloom well. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintering over roses

Yes, I've grown Hybrid tea roses in zone 3 in containers for a few years.

I have a few threads on this forum where I've explained what I do. Do a search for them. If you have more questions, then come back to this thread and I'll answer your questions in more detail. :)

Of course others will probably chime in too. :)

Carol

o

Is there something else being stored in the garage that absolutely requires that it is so warm? Dropping the thermostat about ten degrees would help with the sprouting, and do a much better job of keeping the roses dormant.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 11:11

It's just such a long, long time for them to be dormant. How do they build up strength and reserves enough to overcome a dormancy of 275 days out of every 365?

I would not think that is really a situation you can overcome without some significant investment in a heated, artificially lit greenhouse to extend the growing season. It may be achievable, but will it be satisfying?

Why not focus on what can be easily grown? My sister in Anchorage says the peonies there, if protected by Moose fencing, are spectacular. And your climate can grow something to perfection that the lower 48 can only dream of, Meconopsis, Himalayan blue poppies.

Expending your botanical palette could yield spectacular results, and far more satisfaction and happiness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meconopsis, the true-blue poppy

This post was edited by hoovb on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 11:41

o

My roses do very well in the spring. :)
I leave my roses unpruned in the fall, and then just shape the bush in the spring. Because they are above the cold soil, they warm up quickly and growth is pretty quick. My roses are much nicer than HTs in the ground around here. They are at least 2 feet taller than other rose growers here. I get a lot more blooms too.
Very worthwhile.
Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 21:54

If you can cool down that garage some that's still the best bet for wintering them over for you. At 40 degrees the roses aren't going dormant and that's why they're trying to sprout out. it's needs to be colder to convince them it's time to go to sleep. Then when you want them to start to wake up you can slowly bring the temps up and they'll start to sprout out again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here