Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayourose

2014 rose of the year....cast your vote

bayourose
9 years ago

I joined this forum this year and have learned so much invaluable information from it. Big thanks to everyone!!!! I know that this year has been tough on lots of rose lovers of all different climates (polar vortex, droughts, etc) so I was curious to know which rose is the stand out rose of 2014. Since this year is winding down, I thought we could list our top 5 in order and why we liked these roses and see which rose had the ,most votes and have that as the gardenweb's rose of the year as voted by the members. There is a top record, top movie, top picture and top event of the year, why not a rose? It also is very helpful in deciding what roses we might want to buy in 2015. Now remember this is for this year only...not for past years as gardens and our choices change yearly. My garden is fairly new (two years) so my choices are based on what I saw this year, as next year (3rd year leap) hopefully will be much better. Here is my top 5.....

1. Sweet fragrance --gorgeous blooms, nice scent, and excellent disease resistance
2. Beverly--lots of gorgeous big blooms and nice scent
3. PJPII--lots of blooms, fragrant but did have some black spot
4. Molineaux--love the shape and color of this one
5. Double delight--beautiful blooms and fragrant but does black spot and defoliated at times

I can't wait to see what roses will be listed as your favs for this year.
Happy new year to everyone and here's to a rosy 2015!

Comments (49)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I am also going to be entering my third year of gardening this summer & am so looking forward to it!! I've caught the rose bug, clematis bug, hydrangea bug... I'm going to run out of room before I can have everything I want!

I'm happy to see Sweet Fragrance is on your list! I have that one ordered for the spring & am really excited. I almost bought one on clearance in October that was covered in blooms but I was afraid it wouldn't make the winter so I resisted. Is it as fragrant as the name suggests? Would love to see photos of everyone's favorites as well!

I will play even though I'm new to gardening and my roses aren't established yet! These were all first year in the ground this year & I was super impressed with them all.

1. Champagne Wishes - beautiful blooms, covered in them even in the first year planted.
    2. Kashmir - big, true red blooms. Super healthy, disease free.
    3. Carefree Beauty - bright, gorgeous blooms. They almost glow.
    4. Ramblin Red - Vigorous, put off lots of blooms.
    5. High Voltage - Pretty yellow blooms, got a little mildew & the blooms do not hold up well to rain.

Looking forward to hearing others! I am sure this will just make me add more to my wishlist for next year. :o)

Sharing a picture of Champagne Wishes.

Michaela

This post was edited by thegardenat902 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 23:08

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..oh this is fun...I hope you don't mind me joining in, even though I'm a long way off.... like others, I have many new roses growing on... but I can't imagine falling out of love with these...

1. Thomas a Becket (Austin)
    2. Bonica (modern shrub)
    3. Mutabilis (China)
    4. Lady of Shalott (Austin)
    5. Tranquillity (Austin)

..next year can we make it perhaps 10?...it's difficult...

here's my no. 1 taken today... 27 Dec...14

This post was edited by Marlorena on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 9:17

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

lesmc which rose is that in the photo? It's beautiful!

I only have about fifteen roses, most of which were planted this spring.

1. Midas Touch - Lovely nonfading blooms, dark green foliage, and virtually disease free. Its only fault is that the blooms open too quickly.

2. Sunrise at Heirloom - vigorous, great disease resistance and vibrant orange flowers that bloom all over the bush every few weeks - it's my best bloomer.

3. My Girl - I'm not much for dark pink roses, but this girl's persistence with hips, disease resistance, vigor, and lovely bloom shape convinced me to love her.

4. Midnight blue - good disease resistance (one bush had great resistance and the other poor, so I averaged them at good), vigor, a determination to give many beautiful dark purple blooms, and the best scent of all time makes this one a definite keeper.

5. Stainless Steel - beautiful mauve blooms with a wonderful scent and lovely dark green foliage. Very easy to take a picture of and holds its hybrid tea bloom shape well.

Whew! Even with only fifteen roses that was quite difficult!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I've been growing roses for a few (?) years now, both in Central and Southeast FL. and WAY North East GA. I find different roses perform great one year then just bloom OK the next. So, for the 2014 year my best performers are;
    Remember Me (HT)---Beautiful bronze blooms with a nice fragrance and shiny bright green foliage from the top of the bush to the ground.
    Lady of Shalott (Austin)---Covered in those beautiful light orange blooms all year.
    Munstead Wood (Austin)---Deep purple blooms with a fragrance that will knock you over all year.
    Compt de Chambrod (OGR)---Covered in shell pink blooms all year. Just a wonderful bush all year.
    Louise Estes (HT)---Started out strong and never slowed down. Has been in my top 5 for a bunch of years. Beautiful pink blend blooms with a great fragrance. Long stems with great foliage. A super healthy bush that never slows down.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Lesley, I am assuming that picture is South Africa. Gorgeous and the leaves are so shiny. Mine is in it's first year and except for thrips, it's one of my low maintenance bushes. Thanks for enabling me to purchase that one.

My 2014 top five are:
    Tammy Clemons - producer, pretty, long vase life
    Pacific Celebration - beautiful bloom, very little disease
    PJPII - beautiful bloom, producer, quick to recycle, fragrant,lasts long time
    Let Freedom Ring - long lasting, exhibition bloom
    Welcome Home - producer, long lasting, exhibition bloom

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I had a rebuilding year for my roses. Moved to this house Oct 2013 and brought about 400 plants with me (roses, daylilies, tropicals, potted fruit trees, pelargoniums and other stuff I'm forgetting). What a circus! I went from a tiny yard to an acre, so you can imagine how crazy I went. Lol. Any who, here's my short list of what did best this year.

Poseidon- almost seven feet tall in first year with canes an inch thick. Never stopped blooming. Heat tolerant

Rouge Royale- short and rounded in this second year, blooms like crazy, and is extremely fragrant. Heat tolerant

Tipsy Imperial Concubine- love this rose. Giant, fragrant blooms all summer and is about to flush again now. Heat tolerant

Svr de Elise Vardon- only about 2.5 x 2.5 around but a free bloomer. Nice and bushy looking, pretty foliage.

Beverly- about six feet with giant blooms right now (smaller in heat), nice foliage, powerful scent.

I feel like I left a zillion out. :( Others I would give a nod to are Lagerfeld, pjpii, miss Atwood, miss caroline, xuchitl, madame Antoine mari, easy does it, Nicole Carol Miller, fragrant cloud. Ok I'll stop. :)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

1. Tamora (DA)
    2. Gold Medal (in photo, taken 11-20-14)
    3. Marie van Houtte (tea)
    4. Granada
    5. Sexy Rexy

#5 is just the most beautiful little guy -- I want more of him. Rexy survived our deadly heat and drought (that killed two Black Nights).
    #4 is always an exquisite surprise, although the bush is not as big/tall as I thought it would be.
    #3 - just stuck her in the ground and she g r e w ... 4' high in three months, from a bare root! Flowers are delightful, no two the same
    #2 - classic HT with big blooms on long stems. Pink in heat, yellow in cooler temps. Gorgeous and classy.
    #1 - Fragrant!! Didn't get overlarge. Almost always in bloom.

Sylvia

• bayourose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding everyone! I love topics like these cause if its a rose I am not familiar with, I love to look it up in helpmefind and read about it. Michaela--you will love sweet fragrance!!! Lovely blooms that are always on the bush!!!
    Malorena--love that Thomas A. Beckett! Gorgeous color! I saw it in the new
    David Austin catalog and was wondering about getting it for next year. Its on
    My lust list for 2015!
    Lesley--is that a picture of south Africa? Its beautiful and no wonder its your number one!
    Rosecandy---i had to look up sunrise at heirloom and it looks lovely. Heirloom is actually having a sale right now and you might have enabled me to get at one. Lol
    Ken--i have always been curious about remember me and its great to know that it does well in the south! Louise Estes looks beautiful also!

OK so far the only two that have more than one vote is pope john Paul II, and lady of shalott. This is lots of fun. I hope more people vote so let's keep taking votes til Dec 31st and then I will calculate the votes on Jan 1st and announce the winner. I hope that sounds OK. I had a hard time narrowing down to five but I just though it would be easier to count, but maybe in 2015 we can do more if everyone likes. Thanks for participating. :-)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Oops....Dona Martin should've been one of my top five.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

My garden is still new, and virtually all the roses are finishing only their second year with me since coming as bands. As such, it's hard for me to really evaluate the "best" now since those I don't mention will likely come into their own next year. That being said, a few stood out for their own reasons. So my top five (in no particular order) for 2014 would be:

1) 'Golden Buddha' -- absolutely spotless foliage until I found a handful of blackspotted leaves last month (which says a lot in a no-spray New Jersey garden), several flushes of huge blooms scented of apricots, and tidy growth. True, the color fades after a couple of days to an off-white, but the petals hold up for about a week until they start getting ugly. I'm starting to think that this rose is good enough to be in a pot on its own, and might put something more subtle in its place next year. In any case, bravo, Paul Barden!

2) "Bermuda Spice" -- ok, many lament that its blooms are "nothing special", and yes, they do get tiny during the peak heat of Summer, but once they started back in late May, there was NEVER a day when there wasn't at least a few on this rose until frost shut it down. Also spotless foliage, and the blooms smell like fresh grapefruit. Any time I wanted to cut some flowers I was able to include some from this rose.

3) 'Clotilde Soupert' -- ok, I did experience some balling, but only when it was cool and damp. I didn't see any balled flowers when it was hot and damp, or cool and dry (we never get hot and dry here). And it was almost as "constantly blooming" as "Bermuda Spice". Even now, there are about 30 buds which keep trying to advance toward opening, but then get hit by our increasingly common night freezes. This rose was also virtually spotless all season, but did get touches of mildew when we hit our first cold snap a couple months ago.

4) 'Marie Pavie' -- my first blooms of the year, and flushes kept coming with short pauses between, until about October. It also got a bit spotty by this time, but had virtually perfect foliage until then. The scent isn't strong when you stick your nose in a bloom, but it gently perfumes a wide area -- you catch it just as strong close-up as you do 20 feet away on a still day.

5) 'Purple Skyliner' -- mine came as a rooted cutting from Kim Rupert last year, and put out growth like it's a rambler, while continuing to bloom in several flushes. There's got to be at least 10 canes over 6 feet tall now, and another 10 or so that are over 4 feet tall. I have it growing against a fence. It kept blooming in flushes until about October. Unfortunately, it did nearly defoliate by that time as well, but frankly, that's the reality of growing many roses here. 'Purple Skyliner' grows like a Multiflora Rambler but blooms like a Polyantha.

I wonder what my top 5 will be by the end of 2015....

:-)

~Christopher

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Bayourose I have been fully impressed by Sunrise! I've noticed that this rose tends to grow and bloom between stages of "dormancy", where it basically appears to just sit there. This means, of course, that the bush doesn't always have a bloom on it and instead it flushes all at once, which I actually prefer. I really wish I had thought to take pictures of the bush in full bloom; it always cheered me right up when it was in bloom. The blooms have no scent but they last and last both on the bush and in a vase (well, a bowl really. The stems aren't long enough for a vase, at least not yet). I did have to deadhead the spent blooms. The bush does not like to let go of them and when they get old they look really bad, so if deadheading isn't your thing you may want to skip this rose. The branches also tend to start out very thin and the flowers can drag them to the ground, but that issue seems to be resolving itself as my bush grows and matures. If you decide to get this rose I hope you love it as much as I do!

Kashmir would have another vote from me, but My Girl made such a surprising impression that I had to give it my vote instead. It didn't quite seem fair to put in two Easy Elegance roses when I already expected so much from them. For bloom performance in flower number I would have Sunrise at Heirloom, My Girl, and Midnight Blue. For disease resistance I'd have Midas Touch, Kashmir, My Girl, Little Mischief, and Yellow Brick Road (none of these were defoliated, though I believe all of them got a little BS at some point). I tried to base my decisions on my love for the flower and plant itself, disease resistance, and how much it exceeded my expectations.

This is a fun thread! ^_^

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

It isn't easy to narrow it down to five, but I believe overall these five are the ones that have performed the best for me in 2014.

Pink Peace - This rose does great for me, and I love the color and the fragrance, it's a prolific bloomer on a disease resistant bush.

Liebeszauber - This has been an amazing red for me. I am surprised it has done so well. While I love red roses, to me it is not easy to find a really good red HT. This one is prolific and very fragrant when the temps are cooler, love it!

Tiffany - This rose just keeps on giving with beautifully elegant blooms and a fragrance I love. A very good hybrid tea.

Love Song - I can't help but sing the praises of this beautiful floribunda. The blooms are gorgeous and prolific and it is so pretty in the landscape.

Peace - I love this rose. I will admit the bush is not totally blackspot resistant, but I am keeping my fingers crossed, because it hasn't done too badly the past couple of years. the blooms are so gorgeous!

Picture of Tiffany

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Because of the extreme drought and heat in my area, I'm not sure I can come up with five roses that did well. Hopefully with El Nino next year will be a different story.

1. Souvenir de la Malmaison - almost the perfect rose here, it continued blooming, has almost no disease, is rounded and bushy, and also fragrant, if you care for that particular scent. My best rose in good years and bad, with gorgeous blooms that almost never ball on a bush that is sparsely thorny.

2. Mutabilis - A large bush that blooms very frequently and has no problems other than occasional mildew, which it shrugs off in a short time. A beautiful rose with a wild look and multicolored single flowers that have been likened to butterflies.

3. La France - A rather gangly bush but the huge, sumptuous and fragrant pink flowers more than make up for that. It does extremely well in the heat with flowers that rarely fry. One of my top favorites.

4. Potter and Moore - An old Austin rose with lovely cupped, many-petaled pink flowers that are also heat-tolerant. My own-root bush has stayed small and graceful, with little disease.

5. Le Vesuve- A large bush that keeps growing sideways, although it can be kept to around six feet. Many flushes of pink flowers, with little disease except occasionally mildew. A great landscape plant with dense foliage, although you don't want to mess with its vicious little thorns. I had to throw away my shredded clothing after I fell into it and then rolled down a steep hill. I still love it.

Well, I made it to five roses after all!

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Rose of the year, also hard for me since so many are new my list is bound to change drastically in the coming years.

#1 Iceberg. What can I say but full sun/no sun chickens as leaf pluckers, drought, heat....it keeps on blooming

#2 Darcey Bussell. For constantly have a bloom or two no matter the season or conditions.

#3 Belinda's Dream. For trying to cover itself in pink blooms and rooting like a weed.

#4 G. Nabonnad. A few months old band that is busy blooming and growing.

#5 Bishops Castle for growing like a weed and blooming like one too

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

For me these would be mine..they may change as other roses mature!!!

#1 Orphelline de Julliet

#2 Rose du Roi

#3 Souviner du dr. Jamain

#4 Charles walker Mignonette

#5 Leonie Lamesh

I would love to do ten and I would add more! Some teas and chinas need reconization. Maybe a top twenty.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite. I love them all and many performed well above what I expected after last year's epic winter and the massacre pruning I had to do in the spring. Julia Child has been a wonderful bloomer every year. Quietness did very well too. Veterans' Honor gave me a lot more bloom this year than in previous ones. A couple of the new ones did well too. The new mini You're the One grew to be huge and bloomed like crazy. Tiffany had several big flushes. There were a few disappointments though. Legends and Valencia only gave me two flushes, spring and fall, and I was expecting more out of them. Still my two sentimental favorites, Double Delight and Pinocchio, bloomed their hearts out for me all seasons!

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

BayouRose,

Where do you garden? I am hoping it is in the steam heat, as do I.

Veronica

• bayourose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What wonderful roses are being nominated and I am very surprised that there are so many different ones, too. I am surprised that SDLM has only been mentioned once because other threads that I have looked at SDLM was always number one. I think its very interesting how our tastes change even in a year. I have a SDLM but it is very young but I am hopeful on this one. Jury is still out. Love all the beautiful pictures that have been included. Michaela champagne wishes is on the lust list--where did you get it? Kentucky rose--dona martin is exquisite, that color is one of my favorites! Is it prolific and does it have a fragrance? Sara Ann, I only wish my tiffany looked as good as yours. I'm going to give it another year, but it doesn't give me many flowers which is sad cause it smells terrific. Ingrid--good to know that SDLM is a good rose even in extreme conditions. I am an admirer of your garden and wish you much rain in 2015. Kippy, I hope my belindas dream takes off this coming year. I need to move her to a sunny location. My fault entirely on that one. Alana--lots of roses I have not heard much about but will be looking them up. Seil, I like quietness and veterans honor but I am hoping for more blooms next year. I was also disappointed in legends, Chrysler imperial and let freedom ring. I might start a thread with the biggest disappointment for 2014 then we would have the best and the worst of the year. I think that is very informative for those of us who will be ordering in the up coming year. Veronica, I garden in southern Louisiana the capital of humidity! Lol. Love florida, my older sister lives there and I love to visit. Very similar conditions. :-) shannon

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Bayourose -- I, too, have SDLM. Mine didn't make my top 5 but it's definitely not the rose's fault. I planted mine in anticipation of it eventually growing taller than the two roses in front of it. But SDLM is also not the fastest grower -- and mine was certainly a tiny band when it arrived in 2013 -- so right now she's actually in a bit of a shadow. Despite this, it was disease-free, and had several (albeit small) flushes. But I can't expect much from a rose with only three canes thus far. I will have to trim off a few bits of the pine tree to give her more sun next year.

There's actually no rose I planted which disappoints me enough to want to pull it out. And some are still focusing more on growing than "impressing me". My 'Orfeo' put out a total of five blooms this year, so nothing exciting there. However, it also sent up several canes over ten feet in length which I have snaking through a scalped Callery pear -- so I think its third year will be when it "impresses me" with its blooms rather than it's growth. But if I had to evaluate a bunch of 1-year-old bands in 2014, those five were the ones that wowed me the most. So if you know I have something that didn't get a mention, please don't take it as a bad review on my part.

:-)

~Christopher

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Like some of the posters, most of my roses aren't yet mature, but some are clearly superior early on in this climate.

1. Rosette Delizy - This rose is seldom without bloom, always has perfect foliage, has lovely color variation, is more vigorous than any other Tea I'm growing, and gives off a classic Tea fragrance to my nose.

2. Boule de Neige - Grew to just under 4 ft. in its first year here with 4-5 flushes of lovely blooms. I started it as a band so it is really a vigorous rose. Healthy and with a high quality, but subtle scent.

3. Sydonie - Not the most floriferous, but it didn't suffer from any disease in its first year. It topped out at about 3.5' with a lovely vase shaped shrub and lighter green, slightly matte foliage. The blooms are classic old-rose in scent and approaching 4" across. I got the same number of flushes as Boule de Neige. The rare HP/Portland that is doing well in Coastal Southern California.

4. Perfume Tiger - A striped Floribunda that my mom grows. I see it regularly and it sure is a terrific rose here. It is constantly in flower on a shorter, rounded shrub. The blooms are all unique, vary from lighter to darker pink with white/creamy/yellow stripes. The scent is hit or miss, but it is sometimes as fragrant as the name would suggest in a sort of old-rose way.

5. Hot Cocoa - It wasn't quite as generous with its bloom this year as last, but this is always a great rose in my area. The blooms were larger and better colored this year and there were no disease problems as usual. The shrub is upright and the foliage is very attractively glossy. I've caught it a few times with a noticeable fragrance, but that is atypical.

General Schablikine, Julia Child, Treasure Trail, Lady Hillingdon, and Orchard's Pride are worth mentioning as outstanding performers this year as well. Interesting to see what is doing well for folks!

Jay

9 years ago

Bayourose - I'm so glad to hear that you love Sweet Fragrance! Does it have a strong scent? Trying to decide where to plant it. I can't wait for it to come in. This winter is dragging... only 122 days left but who is counting?

I got Champagne Wishes from a local nursery in my town that carries a wonderful variety of roses including some of Ping Lim's roses, Dr. Bucks roses. I'm pretty sure they think I'm crazy because I get out of my car and run over to the roses like a kid in a candy store.

You'll have to let me know if you get it and what you think. I'm anxious to see what it does this summer. It would not stop blooming last summer. I think I had blooms early November still!

This post was edited by thegardenat902 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 12:23

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

SDLM was a rose I wanted so desperately, along with Rose de reshct, but neither liked it here. I tried them twice and Spice once. I am thinking of trying spice again, but neither liked it here, although according to everyone, my climate is ideal for all three. Edith de Murat loves it here, so I have no idea why the others didn't. Spice might will like it here, but the plant I got of it was about dead upon arrival, but didn't feel like making a fuss over it. It's crazy you never really know what roses will like it where. Ten minutes or an hour from here they could flourish, and here they could die, fast or slow.

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

Drought year for sure! Let's see who did the best.

Love Song--A relatively new rose for me, I put it in the ground by the deck last spring. I just love this lavender rose. It is such a prolific bloomer and so pretty.

Vavoom--You have to appreciate the blazing gold-orange color to love this rose. But it grows into such a huge bush with so many blooms. The jury is still out as to the color for me but it is a great grower and bloomer.

Snowbird--My original plant is in so much shade that it doesn't really get big and is a one cane wonder. So, I rooted cuttings and put them in the raised bed in full sun. It bloomed so often, although low to the ground and I can't wait to see it this year. This is a wonderful white rose!

Ingrid Bergman--My best blooming red rose! Great big bush, great big buds and blooms. Stays deep red, too.

Gemini--May be my most beautiful rose, it is a prolific repeat bloomer of picture perfect huge flowers. I only wish it wasn't a standard as I need a ladder as the season progresses to see the blooms! Maybe I should root a regular one.

Love Song

Gemini
    {{gwi:244270}}

• bayourose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aqua eyes, I am so excited that you put golden Buddha as your number 1. I just ordered it from rogue valley as well as oshun and sirens keep. Can't wait to try a Paul Barden rose!! Bermuda spice is a beautiful and dainty pink....so many roses so little space! Arbutus omnedo, rosette delizy was one I wanted but RVR was out-its on the wish list. Boule due neige--may need to get this one when space becomes available. Perfume tiger-love the stripey ones but haven't had much luck with them in the past, :( Michaela, sweet fragrance does have a fragrance-to my nose, but its not as strong as I would like it to be...maybe it needs another year as its not even a year old. It is my first easy elegance and it lives up to its name! Alana, I just ordered rose de rescht and I hope it does well. It had good reviews on HMF, if not it may be on my list for biggest disappointments. I am hoping for the best. Kathy, gorgeous roses! Love that gemini, looks so perfect! I want to try Ingrid Bergman, but its hard to find! Good to know it performs well for you.
    Like I said before, so many rose so little room!

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

Dames de chennonceau: traffic-stopping blooms
    Moonstone: a work horse and oh so pretty
    Duchess de Brabant: just too many flowers
    Don Juan (climber): gorgeous red monster booms
    Sugar moon: fragrance to die for

Special shout out:
    Abe Darby
    Gold medal
    Nahema
    Quietness

Pictured: Abe, dames and nahema

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I'm excited to hear people are enjoying Beverly so much. It was a bare root this year - see how it does next year!!

Mine are:

1. Peter Mayle - grows huge in its pot. Flowers are wonderfully fragrant. Huge blooms last forever, and there are lots for every flush.

2. Valencia - no fragrance. Tons of flowers - maybe 30 per flush (which is a lot for here and especially grown in a pot). The flowers last forever and are huge.

3. Gemini - no fragrance - same as above for the rest.

4. Ch-Ching - no fragrance so far - tons of flowers, last forever, unfading yellow. I have it growing next to Peter Mayle, and my mother-in-law said that her fav rose is the pink and yellow one. Peter M. and Ch-Ching match each other for vigor and look stunning next to each other as they merge together.

5. Purple Beauty. Wonderful rose.

A lot of my roses didn't fare all that well this year because of hail damage (3 times). I think some of them have to be repotted too.

Love this post!
    The pictures have been stunning!!
    Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I agree with you, Carol, the pics are gorgeous. We should all pat ourselves on the back for a great year. No matter the adversity, there are still beautiful roses to enjoy.

The first rose of my five roses of the year is almost a cliche by now because it's such a routine standout:

Julia Child, a rose that has never stopped blooming (except for winter, of course) in the eight years I have owned my two. They are both at least 6X6 feet, happy and healthy roses.

Princess Alexandra of Kent is another continuous bloomer that shrugs off our dreadful summers of dry heat, including many 100 degree days.

Love Song was a huge surprise for me. I was expecting the worst and got the best. Love Song was blooming in its pot before I got it in the ground and never quit producing big, fat exquisitely colored blooms, even though it was a baby, and then grew into a lovely rounded shrub at the same time. It was no shrinking lavender against our heat either.

Easy Does It continues to bloom and grow just like the first three on my list, defying the heat to produce its beauties.

And, Golden Celebration went on a tear, blooming those enormous blooms, and growing even more, so dependable and healthy. It's about 7X7 feet at this point.

So, for most of my roses, it was a good year, and these five were the best of the best. Hope all of you have a wonderful rose growing 2015. Happy New Year, everyone! Diane

Here's a pic of one of my Julia's. Wish the pic was bigger for the full effect of all her blooms.

9 years ago

Diane... wow. That's all I can say! What a beautiful rose.

Happy New Years everyone!
    Michaela

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

gosh that's gorgeous isn't it... Reminds me a bit of 'Graham Thomas'...

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Nanadoll! It is great to read your post and to see your lovely Julia Child.

Lynn

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Thank you all. It's good to be back. How's the desert, Lynn? Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Diane, we had a summer that was cooler than usual, but still hot; especially for roses, so hopefully I can still accurately assess the performance of so many roses that are new to my garden.

The top performers in my garden are:

Little White Pet ... It has been a fast grower and covered in blooms, even now as winter temperatures are definitely upon us.

Don Juan Climber ... It has been covered with or had scattered gorgeous dark red blooms since I believe late February.

Black Magic... I almost gave this rose away a few months ago, instead, I moved it to a position where it receives more sunshine. It has gorgeous dark red blooms, a quick repeat and has been very heat tolerant. A definite keeper.

South Africa .... Yellow is the least used color in my garden but I love this rose. The blooms are a great intense shade of golden yellow that doesn't fade much in the heat. It also has nice dark green foliage.

Young Lycidas.... It has a great repeat, lovely blooms.... but the fragrance ...... It makes me swoon .

Honorable mention: Belinda's Dream, Bolero, Love Song

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 23:23

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

I'm recovering from an injury, and not very strong yet, so my list will have to be short for now. Of the hundreds of roses grown by clients, and the dozen or so at Humpty Dumpty House, first prize for 2014 goes to Alnwick, a new rose planted just last spring. Alnwick was blooming beautifully when I was last out and about the second week in December. The picture below was taken then.

By the way Diane (nanadoll), it's so good to see you back. Your roses are unspeakably gorgeous, and you were a enormously helpful when I first started on this forum early this year. Thanks for sharing the beauty you create!

jannike

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Bayourose- Definitely try to find space for Rosette Delizy and Boule de Neige! They're both real beauties that I wouldn't want to be without in warmer areas. Perfume Tiger is certainly the best striped rose I've seen besides Fourth of July regarding health.

And Paul Barden's roses are just terrific! I grow Treasure Trail and have gifted Jeri Jennings and Dragon's Blood to my mom. Abe Darby did miserably here with rust, but I'd be interested if Oshun or Janet Inada -both are bred from Abe- are improvements where rust is a problem.

And Happy New Year everyone!

Jay

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words, Jannicke. I hope your injury wasn't severe and is on the mend enough for some gardening in 2015. The Alnwick rose in your photo is exquisite. I'm going to check that one out. If you haven't looked into Love Song, you might look it up. It's a tough lavender with an old fashioned look that blooms prolifically. The luscious blooms are huge. Diane

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Bayourose, my Dona Martin is on fort. and I purchased it from K&M. This was it's 2nd season. I think it's a prolific bloomer with long stems and the blooms last 7 - 10 days. I didn't detect any fragrance. Dona Martin is a sport of Randy Scott. My Randy Scott gets lots of BS, Dona Martin isn't as bad. Dona's bloom is very pale, pale pink. On occasion the pink color can be striped and is then called "Lavender Surprise."
    Diane, if my Julia Child had looked half as good as yours, I would have never sp'd it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kentucky Rose. I'm sorry Julia didn't work out for you. What was the problem, if I may ask? Diane

Here's another pic of Julia. I think she looks like an Austin in this photo.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Diane - That's a gorgeous bloom of Julia and I love the bush shot too. Your JC is amazing. I am so happy your back, we missed you!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Diane, I got my Julia Child the first year that Edmunds' offered it. JC had BS issues, the blooms faded a lot, and the bush didn't thrive well. Your bush, blooms, and leaves look fantastic.
    Sara-Ann, that is the prettiest picture of Tiffany.
    Kathy, love that picture of Love Song.
    Great thread and pictures everyone! Looking forward to 2015 rose season and our end of the year results next December.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Great thread and great to see everyone's photos.

My top five for 2014 are

Marie van Houtte, a lovely spreading shape, and so healthy and vigorous and rarely without a bloom

Mme Isaac Pereire, for the colour and fragrance, and has been blooming since August, but ratty looking shrub

Julia Child mine is in it's first year, but I'm hopeful that one day it will look like nanadoll's

Summer Memories also in it's first year, but blooming it's head off, and promising to be a nice shape

Anna Olivier lovely as long as it doesn't rain

I wish I'd had success with Rosette Delizy, and wish I had the climate for Tipsy Imperial Concubine.

Trish

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

My best this year:

Kronprincess Viktoria: always in bloom, very healthy; love it!

Romaggi Plot Bourbon:very healthy, covered with blooms

Tuscan Sun : a surprise for me as I don't normally care for modern roses but love this one! Changes from orangish to pink and well, it's wonderful. You have to see it to appreciate it.

Pope Jphn Paul II: what can I say; amazingly beautiful rose.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

My five best roses for 2014 were:

PHILATELIE - new from Palatine and was phenomenal. Bloomed well for a first-yr rose and had gorgeous stripey blooms!
    {{gwi:313326}}

DELANY SISTERS - almost never out of bloom. Tons of lovely ruffled beauties all over this massive spready plant.
    {{gwi:326334}}

FLORA DANICA - almost always in bloom with gorgeous pointy-tipped spirals.
    {{gwi:2121820}}

HOT COCOA - another one always in bloom with ever-changing rusty blooms.
    {{gwi:2121821}}

RED PARIS - not my favorite color class, and it didn't bloom a lot, but this is a baby own-root I got from Cliff just before he closed up EuroDesert Roses a few yrs ago. It's taken a long time to grow, but the end of the season it pumped out this beauty that lasted on the bush for over two weeks! It's going to be a wonderful rose!
    {{gwi:2121822}}

9 years ago

Beth, Your roses are beautiful. I can't tell you how sad I am that DELANY SISTERS is only hardy to zone 7. I am swooning over that one right now.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

ken-n.ga.mts: tell me more about your south florida roses. Any that have performed especially well for you down here? Its not often you see rose growers in my area and would love any advise you may have.
    nadadoll: that pic of Julia Child seriously sent me to the online nurseries to get myself a bush. Just too perfect and I hear she does well here in South Florida.
    Kathy9norcal: Your Gemini is just to die for. How tall did she get for you? I have one in a pot I got last spring from Regan's she's not doing as well as I'd hoped. She gave me one super large bloom this past month but has been a very stingy bloomer (after her first spring flush). I love her so much though, I think i'm going to get her into the ground (and that is LOVE as I have such limited space only my absolute favorites get garden space LOL)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Beth, I have several red roses but your picture of Red Paris surpasses them all! Tell me more about your Flora Danica, beautiful picture.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Beth, I love the look of your Delany Sisters, too. It's too bad Augusta Luise is near impossible to get in the U.S. because it's more hardy and looks somewhat like the Sisters. Here's Augusta. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Here's Augusta before the buds have fully opened. Her colors vary from pale peaches and pinks to bright orangy apricots. Ddiane

• bayourose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let me tell everyone that the pictures on this thread have been so exquisite!!!! Such eye candy! This has been such a fun and interesting thread to see which roses have done well for everyone this year. Thanks for sharing your pictures and input on your roses. Lots of new roses and several that I would definitely like to get my hands on in the coming year. It was interesting to see how we all voted this year and there was a 3-way tie for the 2014 rose of the year........Julia's child, Love song, and Pope John Paul II. The runners up or ones that got more than one vote were: Beverly, double delight, mutabilis, lady of shalott, south Africa, peace, gold medal, Marie van houtte, tiffany, belindas dream, hot cocoa, Gemini, and don juan. I think we should do this again next year to see how we all fared and see if our favorites are still the same or have changed given all the variables we may encounter in the coming year. Thanks to all who participated and Happy New Year to everyone! May everything come up rosey in the new year! Shannon