Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Found this gorgeous florist rose ...

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Some of you might know I'm trying to root florist roses. Not sure how much luck I'm having at it, but it's fun, and is my latest hobby/obsession. Well, I found a really gorgeous one the other day that I really hope I get to root. I've been buying the dozen roses at the local Safeway market for $9.99. They just order assortments and get what they get. The bouquets are marked with the name of the rose. It's kinda fun to go see what they get in.

This is a gorgeous sorta two-tone deep plum-purply color. I don't think I've ever seen any other rose with the coloring this one has. My photos don't really show the "true" color. It's actually a good bit darker and kinda smoky and more plum than purple or mauve. Has no scent at all, as with most florist roses. It's slow to open and has humongous thick stems. It's called BLUE BERRY. I read somewhere it got some award in Russia. Just thought I'd share the pics I took of the bouquet before I cut them up.

BLUE BERRY (Nirp International, France)
{{gwi:350590}}
{{gwi:350591}}

Comments (13)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Info linked below from Nirp's web site

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

That rose looks nice. It appears to have coloration similar to some of the other HTs that are in the purplish with red edges like Paradise. Can you let us know how successful you are with this and let us know how the plants do?

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve that link didn't work for me. I have seen the Nirp website listing of if tho. Their photo is even less accurate than mine! They show it as being way more pink than it really is. I guess it's such an unusual color it's hard to capture it correctly. And I guess the correct spelling is BLUEBERRY, not BLUE BERRY. I've seen it both ways on the florist websites that list it.

Bustopher I will let everybody know if I get it to root. I've been trying the so-called "burrito method" of rolling the cuttings in damp newspapers and putting them in a plastic bag in a cold dark place for two weeks. They theioretically will form callouses and should be ready for rooting. I haven't had that great of luck so far. Got several roses to callous, but they didn't make it once I potted them up. Subsequent batches are showing better signs tho. But now I'm trying half in the burrito roll and half just directly potted up in a "greenhouse" set-up I made. It'll be awhile before I know if any of them are going to make it. I'm basically just playing around and having some fun. If I get just one plant of each rose out of all the cuttings, I'll be happy.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

That IS gorgeous!!!! Wow!!
    Carol

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Beth, I think the burrito method is not right for rooting florist roses. I have rooted many of them over the last several years and have quite a few growing in my garden and the burrito method never worked for me.

Here is what I do. Take a rose, remove the bloom, leave on two sets of leaves. Make several slits in the bottom of the stem with a razor blade (make sure to stab the blade all the way through the stem). Dip in rooting hormone. Then poke holes into potting soil then insert the stems and compress the dirt around it. Enclose this all in a plastic bag and in a few weeks you will know if it works.

I would advise using clear plastic cups for this because it's really helpful for seeing root developement.

Maude

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure you're right about that Maude. I'm already doing some in the pots too. It's all just an experiment to see what (if) I can get to root. I've always just done the method of sticking several stems in a 5gal pot and putting a 2litre bottle with the bottom cut off or a plastic bag over the pot. I didn't have a lot of luck that way. Right now I have the cuttings in clear plastic cups in a starter medium rather than soil. And I built a pvc pipe frame to go over a big plastic underbed storage container that I put clay pebbles in, adding water to create a moist environment and have heating pads underneath. Then I covered the pvc frame with clear vinyl and I have a fluorescent light fixture hanging over the whole thing, which comes on about 4:00pm and stays on til midnight. So far it seems to be a good set-up. But only time will tell. Like I said, I'm just having fun playing around and experimenting to see what, if anything, works.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

That is a beauty, Beth! I think the burrito method works better for hard wood cuttings and not the soft wood cuttings of a florist bought rose. I would just use rooting hormone and stick them in soil. Good luck!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Beth: That is a gorgeous rose. I hope you are successful in your attempts to root it. What we really need is someone to go mail order with own root florist roses. So many lovely ones out there. Of course in my climate there would be additional challenges to growing them on, but at least I'd have a shot at it. You never know until you try......Good luck to you.......Maryl

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Beth - Very lovely rose. I wish you success in trying to root it.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Beth, did you have any luck?

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sadly, no, I did not. I'm afraid I'm not having much luck at all rooting the florist roses. I still have quite a few in the "incubator", but not sure if any will make it. Only time will tell. I think if these don't make it tho, I'll give up on it.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

That's too bad! I tried rooting some for the first time this winter; two Valentine's Day roses - Pailine (I think) and Amelia. I left two sets of leaves, scored the bottoms of the stems, used rooting hormone, and potted them directly into soil. Then I set them in a window with a heating pad underneath and plastic pop bottles over top. Out of ten, one Amelia is still alive and setting new leaves. The rest are dead as door nails. The rest all went moldy. Next time I'll pot them into sand - I've read on GW that that's a good way. Don't give up! It's still fun to try!

{{gwi:350592}}
    {{gwi:350593}}

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- leaving aside for a moment the ethical/legal questions of rooting florist roses (if they are patented, that is), you may have much more success with chip-budding them onto existing rootstock than with trying to root cuttings. It is surprisingly easy.