Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binaatthelake

roses for a zone 3a

binaatthelake
10 years ago

Hi All
I am looking for a few names of both roses that will grow up here in the great white north and the mail order nurseries that sell them. I want roses that I can use for medicinal and culinary purposes so lots of great petals with a strong perfume and hips lots and lots of hips for medicinal syrups, jellies, and I would love to make a wine. I have seen some magnificent pictures of some ancient roses used for centuries for the purposes I want breed in France, England and much more blessed climates than the boreal forest. any suggestions would be welcome
thanks
Bina

Comments (24)

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

There's one called Michel Trudeau that is hardy to zone 2a. The link is to its description on Help Me Find, which includes a "Buy From" tab listing nurseries that sell it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michel Trudeau on HMF

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

It's also got great Canadian provenance... :)

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Are you a member on Help Me Find? If so, you can run an advanced search with your main criteria - zone, fragrance, etc. If you're not a premium member, I believe you can still search by the name of the rose.

Here are a couple that came up when I ran a quick search based on zone, fragrance and prolific blooming (for more hips):
    Kakwa, Cuthbert Grant, Ausmerchant, San Juan Musk.

PS - Sorry for the serial replies - I can't seem to gather all my thoughts together at once! lol

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

Northland Rosarium sells about 3 dozen varieties that they rate hardy for zones 2 & 3.

• rosecavalier
    10 years ago

Bina:

Some of Robert Erskine's hardy roses bred in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta may work...sold by Sheila Holmes of RMH...they will grow without winter protection and once established (5 yrs in our climate) should produce beautiful deep purple/ebony hips...Prairie Peace is one of his better known introductions...has these wonderful colored hips. Also, rugosas such as Hansa and rosa rugosa (species) will produce large hips and are hardy...you can search for more info on the below link...good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF roses

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi-
    If you're looking for fragrance, hardiness and big hips, I would certainly start with the Rugosas. I'll try to attach a link to Pickering- they're a reputable Canadian source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering Rugosas

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Well, you could embark on risky experiments with hybrids but I would start with the obvious species and get the arctic rose, R.acicularis. A great rose with plentiful heps and lovely bright pink flowers. Also, other species such as R.pendulina (alpenrose). These little wildlings are bone hardy, healthy and utterly reliable. What's not to love (especially since they propagate in a flash, easy from seed and will often provide suckers too).

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I believe Campanula's suggestion of R.acicularis is actually your provincial flower. If you don't have it locally I would be happy to gather cuttings, suckers or bare root one and mail it to you in the spring.

SCG

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I second Northland Rosarium! Very nice roses, on their own roots and they do well in my zone 4 garden. Here's a link and I live not very far away, so I pick up my roses...and Carol's gardens are beautiful :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Northland Rosarium

10 years ago

It is not indicated on the web site so does anyone know if Northland Rosarium ships to Canada for the OP?

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Selling R. acicularis to an Albertan is a bit like taking coal to Newcastle.
    As someone born and raised there, I find it gets wearying to hear people say you shouldn't ask for nice roses. There are dozens of exciting cultivars hardy to zone 3, and more on the way all the time.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Get a grip Donald - acicularis is a gorgeous little rose and has the requested heps. If we all had the coals to Newcastle attitude, I would be saying goodbye to the marvellous dogroses all over the woods....which I am not - adding more in fact.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

Corn Hill Nursery in New Brunswick lists a number of roses that I presume should work for you. I've only ordered from this nursery one time, about 20 years ago - I purchased an own root Harrison's Yellow from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Hill Nursery

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi-
    R. acicularis does have the requested hips, and it is a beautiful rose. It is also highly invasive in an Alberta garden environment, suckering uncontrollably up to 12 feet away from the mother plant. I planted it, enjoyed it for two years, and battled it for five.

And there's no call for rudeness, is there?

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

As an interesting side note, R. acicularis may be the only rose in the world with a political party named after it, Alberta's Wildrose Alliance.

I'd attach a link but I wouldn't want it to be seen as an endorsement of their platform.

• rosecavalier
    10 years ago

Bina,

Here is a photo of some hips I just brought out of the refrigerator...should give you an idea of satisfying your requirement for "jams & jellies".

Far left: Rosa Acicularis/Woodsii (selected for repeat bloom)
    2nd from left: Prairie Peace (ebony color)
    3rd from left: Alba semi-plena
    Far right: Rosa rugosa hybrid

10 years ago

donaldvancouver, LOL love the analogy. I was unaware that it suckered so badly. We have loads of them locally and they put on an absolutely amazing show this year. One so good that I plan to add them to my native 'ditch' collection this spring.

Camp, I figured you would love it as it seems to fit right in with your likes. If they put on a show again this year I will try to get some pictures for you.

Rose, some lovely looking hips, we are going out to get a xmas tree and I just might gather some.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 14:20

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Yeah, you're right, Donald. Sorry. Acicularis has been a recent discovery for me and am still in the ravey honeymoon phase - such a clear and bright pink (and a change from our pale dogroses and eglantines)Also, am a bit blinkered by suddenly having 5 acres of (weed and tree-filled) space....so all things thuggish, suckery and common (as muck) are back on the menu (even growing campanula rapunculoides - a thug to make gardeners weep....not to mention willowherbs) in a kind of horticultural civil war. I have done an abrupt about-turn from owning a rarefied little collection of treasures to appreciating natives, wildflowers and prettier weeds than the brambles and nettles I currently have.
    So that....and my utter ignorance of Z3 (I am snivelling already, here in Z8) but completely opinionated reply (to you and Bina) earns me a slapped wrist.

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Campanula,
    No snivelling required. Your abundance of space sounds like a wonderful opportunity to play with some of the more aggressive types. And who knows; acicularis might be tidy and polite in a moist zone 8, or at least meet suitable competition. It really is a beautiful wild rose and I hope to grow it again here in our mild coastal environment- but this time budded onto something more easily contained.

10 years ago

Hehe, I can see us swapping bud wood donald!!!

Side note I did gather a couple dozen acicularis hips today to play with.

SCG

Oh...I forgot to mention how sorry I am that you had to live in Alberta, I have also had that bad experience myself....LOL! j/k

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

SouthCountry- I don't regret my many years in Alberta at all- I still get back there when I can. But it's a tough place for roses. I've always said that southern Alberta is the New York, New York of gardening: if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere, between the howling winds, -40 temps, poor snow cover and endless freeze-thaw in winter.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

I confess it sounds like hell on earth to me (but as I am a pathetic, snow-hating wimp - although a lot of that is down to rubbish English houses), I fail to see myself surviving even a few weeks in the frozen north without resorting to enforced hibernation (and strong drink), immense weight gain (bored biscuit eating). I might also die if I had to even watch (much less participate) in anything resembling a winter sport. Scotland is a trip too far for me.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

plantlovercat, Corn Hill does not ship to the USA, or so I thought. I wish they did; they have lots of good selections for northern tier gardeners.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

Nastarana, when I purchased Harrison's Yellow from Corn Hill 20 years ago, they did ship to the US. Several years ago, I noted that they were not shipping to the US anymore. Their current website indicates that they are once again shipping to the US. The following is copied from their "Ordering and Shipping Information" page:

US Customers, please note, due to long delays at the border we can no longer guarantee that plants arrive in good shape.

U.S. Customers
    Phytosanitary fee is $15.00US and will be added to the shipping charges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ordering and Shipping Information - Corn Hill Nursery