Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neworleansladyinred

Growing roses from a cut rose

I have some roses from a funeral of a dear loved one and am wondering how I can remember my loved one forever by regenerating roses from these. If you can help, my family will be very grateful. thanks - New Orleans lady in red

Comments (8)

• neworleansladyinred
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have some cut roses from a family funeral. I need to know how to regenerate these from the cut roses. If anyone can help, my family will be grateful - thanks - New Orleans lady in red

• jerijen
    16 years ago

NOLIR -- If you will go to the web site of the American Rose Society, you will find a whole menu of methods for propagating roses from cuttings.

If you GOOGLE:
    Propagating Roses From Cuttings
    you will probably find even more.

You'll find that there are many many methods. If you have multiple stems, you might try more than one method.

Best luck!

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: American Rose Society

• petaloid
    16 years ago

Since it can be tricky to grow roses from cuttings, I would suggest a couple of other ideas as well.

First, you can dry and save the petals from the rose blooms.

Second, you can find out which florist provided the roses and ask them the name of the variety they used. I say this because some varieties of roses that florists use can also be purchased as growing plants for the garden.

Because of the way they are propogated, roses of a named variety all originated from one plant, so the connection is there.

• reg_pnw7
    16 years ago

I once knew a woman with a garden full of roses, and every single one she had rooted from a cut flower. It can be done very well if you have the right touch.

Now I consider myself to be an expert gardener but I am very poor at rooting cuttings. I've never gotten a rose to root. I can root coleus and mint and african violet but that's about it.

I believe she just stuck hers in the ground and they rooted, I've known people to do that in warmer climates like yours. I'd get some rooting hormone, and cut the stem just below a joint, and dip the end in rooting hormone, then put it in either seedling mix potting soil or a blend of vermiculite and pumice. Where I fail, is in keeping the cutting damp enough but not so damp it rots for the several weeks it takes to root. You'll want some kind of humidity dome. People use clear plastic bottles or bags. Check out the link given by Jerijen.

I've also known people to root roses taken from the aftermath of a rose show.

Lots of people root roses from bouquets. It can be done. Drying the roses is another good option too.

• pocajun
    16 years ago

When my wife's father passed we took the rose petals and had them make in bracelets, very beautiful. You could do this with the petals and still make cuttings with the stems and leaves. i grow my cuttings indoors under lights but if you can't do that then being you are in New Orleans area you could easily leave them outside in the shade but bring them in if it gets below 40 degrees. and take them back out above 40. Surely there are some rosarians in the New Orleans area who would be gald to help you out. I don't know if there is a rose society there or not. Good Luck.

Patrick

• rosatimo
    16 years ago

I've 12 cuttings in bottles outside.
    I made some incisions at the botten and skew it.
    Takes very long to root but I'll see if this works. Have never tried this before.

• neworleansladyinred
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you all for your help!

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

I have great success rooting cuttings from florist roses and those obtained at rose shows and from other gardens.
    Click on the following website for the instructions

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting rose cuttings.