Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Help Choosing Austins (for Xmas)

SoFL Rose z10
9 years ago

So my hubby is giving me a gift certificate to David Austin's for Xmas and I having trouble choosing the ones I want (I want them all). Here are the ones I'm considering. I can choose 6 and I have limited space so I'm looking for more compact bushes:
Claire Austin (I NEED a white rose, but some have said Bolero is better?)
Jubilee Celebration
Boscobal
Moleneux or any other compact yellow
Lady Emma Hamilton (this one I'm ordering for sure)
Princess Alexandra of Kent or Alnwick castle
Gentle Hermione or scepter d'isle (what's the best soft pink austin?)
Belle Story
Christopher Marlowe

Any other highly recommended Austin's? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Comments (9)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have Princess A of K. In my climate, she does throw out some very long canes. Over 6 feet. That being said, she is a wonderful rose. I find Munstead Wood to be a bit more contained but still throws out some long canes. Pretty Jessica (not sure if DA sells it here in the US) stays pretty compact. I have also heard that Sister Elizabeth stays small and is a beautiful pink too.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

What a thoughtful gift!

I fell in love with 'Gentle Hermione' and I understand it's a med. sized bush. I liked it much better than my 'Heritage'. It had an enchanting quality. One gal said it fades almost to white but the open bloom pics at HMF show it holding its color for the most part.

'Scepter'd Isle' is agreed by everyone to be the most floriferous pink Austin. I believe it gets tall in our mild zones. Hope to see it in person next spring.

Those 2 pinks I've been reading about for a few years.

The people who've grown white Austins are adamant about 'Bolero' being far superior.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Boscobel is a wonderful rose, especially of you're looking for a compact bush. Constant bloom, long lasting unfading blooms, heat tolerant, rain tolerant, fragrant, warm pink with a touch of yellow. I think it would coordinate perfectly with Lady Emma.

Christopher Marlow's blooms are lovely and abundant but I can't stand the shiny foliage.

Susan Williams-Ellis is pure white. She's a reliable bloomer. kind of a quiet unassuming rose.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Those of you who are in the warmer regions probably need to assume that many of your Austins will get slightly taller than the size he lists. Here in my Midwestern zone 6, they stay fairly close to the listed sizes, but Californians, for instance, claim some of them get much larger, so I assume Floridians might have some of those problems also.

Claire Austin--closer to 5 ft or taller--I've heard mixed reviews: lovely blooms but maybe a bit stingy on the blooming? You might consider Tranquillity instead.

Jubilee Celebration--supposedly 4x4, but mine is 6 or 7 years old and has never grown much taller than 3 or 3.5 ft tall. In fact, although the blooms are gorgeous, the bush as a whole has been a weak and wimpish sort and it isn't as bs-resistant as I'd wish although it isn't too bad on that score. I would never get rid of mine, but I'd hesitate to recommend it very strongly for someone else. In fairness, there is another poster on this site that adores this rose.

Boscobal --if I had any room left, this is the newer one I'd get. About 3x2 and healthy and salmon and pink, somewhat upright rose.

Molineux --good bloomer, changes color from gold to yellow to apricot to cream, sometimes almost pink in the center--but golden yellow with apricot highlights is its predominate color. It doesn't have great bs-resistance--I have to spray it occasionally--but better than average on that score. Kinda of narrow--more an upright grower. I recommend planting more than one together to make more of an impact. 3x2 or taller. One of my very favorite Austins.

Lady Emma Hamilton -- she is 4 x 3 or taller. Austin's new Lady Gardener is roughly in the same color range but a bit shorter (and healthy).

Princess Alexandra of Kent--3.5 x 3, large beautiful blooms, disease-resistant. I'd definitely get this one.

Scepter d'isle -- supposedly 4x3 or taller, but based on my two-year old bush, it might be somewhat lankier and a bit taller bush. Lovely soft pink, but the blooms do not last long. Better than average BS-resistance, but occasionally needs a spray. I do like it, but if I were doing it over, I might go with the more rounded shrub Gentle Hermione instead.

Alternate pinks: Sister Elizabeth would be even smaller--2.5 x 2.5 ft--and a couple of our posters really like her. Pretty Jessica would be about 3.5x3--good pink Austin, blooms just burst with petals--but she is hard to locate. You might have to search for her. Princess Anne is an excellent rose-- smaller 3x2--described as "deep pink, almost red, gradually fading to a pure deep pink" and very healthy. Sir John Betjeman is smaller, very healthy, but a darker pink.

Look forward in the next year or two to Austin exporting to our shores his wondrously lovely light pink Olivia Austin--very disease-resistant and smaller. Check it out on his English site--I can't wait for it to get here.

Don't know about the others, but a couple others I'd consider if I had the room are The Shepherdess (3x2 light apricot/cream, healthy) and for a bright red Darcy Bussell (3x2, healthy).

And of course my absolute favorite smaller Austin: Munstead Wood--dark purple/magenta/deep burgundy, 3x2, healthy, good rebloom.

Munstead Wood--look at that color. Absolutely irresistible.
    {{gwi:217616}}

What a marvelous Xmas present you will be getting. I can't wait to hear how they are doing in your garden next summer. Have fun making your choices!

Kate

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

You've made some great choices! I only grow Christopher Marlowe out of those, and would recommend Lilian Austin, she does awsome for me! Christopher's canes are lax and need some support once established. here's one showing bush form. She is in her second year.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Here is a up-close on blooms :) Let us know what you decide!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys! Thanks for all the awesome advice. I'd really like to hear more about Belle Story and Alnwick rose. Has anyone had any experience with either of them?
    At the moment I'm leaning towards these:
    Emma Hamilton
    Hermione
    Boscobal
    Moleneux
    Alexandra of Kent
    And I'm still deciding between scepter and belle story (or sharifa asma)
    I'll pass on Claire Austin and order Bolero from regan instead.
    Also thinking of getting liv Tyler and/or yves paigette from them.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have heard great things about Tamora too and will be planting it this spring due to all the positive comments from everyone on the forum. What a great gift from your hubbie! Have fun choosing, can't wait to hear what you finally decide on.

• lsst
    9 years ago

I love my Christopher Marlow.
    It does throw out long canes but overall I love how the blooms start out pink and change to salmon within a few days.
    I only cut back the canes that get in my way.