Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Twilight Zone V. Ebbtide Question

Hi,

I am awaiting delivery for both of these roses but have not seen either in person. I am contemplating placement for Ebb Tide but have a question. Some images show Ebb Tide fading to a smokier purple compared to Twilight Zone which looks to move closer toward a magenta as it fades. How would you describe the difference in color pre- and post fade for these two roses?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 22:01

Comments (7)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Lynn, I answered your question about ET and TZ in your thread in the Rose Gallery Forum. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Diane,

How large have your plants become? HMF indicates a height of 3' and I have found that rose bushes tend to grow larger here, but will it double in size?

Lynn

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have three ETs. The two in the heat and sun hellhole are about 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 feet. The third gets more shade and has chosen to be small and bloom less. I guess that's the result of part shade. TZ is a grandiflora and by the end of this summer should be taller than the ETs. Since it's immature, I wouldn't hazard a guess at its final height yet. Diane

• mohavemaria
    10 years ago

Hello Lynn,

I hesitate to post on this forum as my experiences are more extreme than most but I have a Twilight Zone that has been in our yard almost a year and it is still alive! It survived a Las Vegas Summer and that is the good news but it is smaller now than when we got it and it is not from pruning. It is on the east side of the house on the edge of the canopy of an acacia so it has been protected from the sun.

Hopefully in your less extreme heat part of LV you will have better luck. I have a hard time seeing this as any kind of a large rose though because the distance between the leaves (the internodal distance) is very short which makes my plant short and bushy not what I would expect of a grandiflora at all.

As this plant was a two gallon nursery pot size not a band I think this is its mature growth habit but again it hasn't been in the ground a long time. It does have very purple flowers and likes to bloom.

Maria

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My TZ does have a typically grandiflora growth habit, though it's not had the robust growth of say, Ascot, or Wild Blue Yonder. Reading what Maria said, I would give TZ partial shade, if possible. Mine does have some shade, while ETs do not have any in the front yard. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mojavemaria.

Thank you both for the information. I am planting a row of five that will receive about 4.5-5.5 hours of sun daily, and then they will be in the shade for the rest of the day. If at maturity they reach 3-4 feet, or can be pruned and kept down to this size range I will be happy, well of course, I would have to see gorgeous purple roses too:)

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

I have both. The ET is older than the TZ by about a year. The ET blooms do not last as long in the sun, but in my experience, the ET puts on far more blooms.

Last May at one time I counted over 40 blooms on my ET.

My TZ which is planted about 3.5 feet away blooms well and last longer in similar sun, but so far has not bloomed nearly as much as my ET. This is on the Upper Texas Gulf Coast.