Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hangingupsidedown

amateur mistake: planted new rose in same spot as old.

hangingupsidedown
10 years ago

Hi all,

Need all the advice i can get on my silly mistake. As stated in the title, made the mistake of planting a new rose in the same spot as an old one. How can i rectify the situation without pulling it out? It's growing slowly and struggling to bloom

Comments (11)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what the problem is. I often plant the new rose in that same spot as an old one. No trouble.

How long ago did you plant the new rose. If very recently, I would just wait about a month and see how it is doing. However, it might be helpful if you explained to us if you fertilized it (probably shouldn't yet) or how much water it has been getting and does the soil drain well? Anything else you may have sprayed on it or put in the planting hole? Maybe that would give us some ideas what the problem might be--if there is one other than transplant shock.

A picture/photo would be very helpful also.

Chances are, it just needs time to settle in and get some good new roots growing.

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

What did the first rose die of? If, for instance, it had root gall, I'd call that a big problem. Or if it had downy mildew, which can go right through the roots.

But if it was just removed because you loathed it, there's probably not a big problem.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If the rose that died wasn't diseased you're fine. I replant in the same holes all the time.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Are you concerned with rose replant disease?

See Google search link

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search link

• hangingupsidedown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been receiving ample water from watering and rain, drainage is fine. No spray, some rose food after planting. It was a winter bare root david austin rose. The previous rose had been hacked back by the old owner and became spindly and weak. No other issues that I'm aware of. I'm just concerned because the two others i planted at the same time are flourishing whereas this seems stagnant. It receives ample sun so i guess with all these factors i thought the planting might be the issue. Might try some liquid fertiliser.

• User
    10 years ago

No question rose replant syndrome is an issue in the UK. There are several ways of going about dealing with this (but nothing I can suggest for yours apart from taking it out). We either remove a good amount of old soil or, more commonly, we fill a cardboard box (at least 18in on each side)with soil from another part of the garden (not potting mix), add mycchorhgizal granules only if we have had to buy in sterile loam such as the John Innes formulations) and replant the rose in the box and sink the whole lot into the place where a previous rose was growing. I know there will be shudders of horror about this but in good loam, the cardboard will have deteriorated sufficiently in a year or so and the new roots, which have gained strength and vigour to penetrate the cardboard, will have fighting chance against rose replant sickness. I have been doing this successfully for a decade now and have never lost a rose.....but, it might be that, as the previous roses did poorly, there are other issues, possibly fungal, to investigate here.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

There is some evidence that rose roots do give off a growth inhibitor.

Title: Growth inhibitor accumulates in the nutrient solution of closed system rose cultivation.

Author: Sato, N.

Authors affiliation: Shizuoka Agricultural Experiment Station, 678-1 Tomioka, Shizuoka, Iwata, Japan.

Published in: Acta Horticulturae (2005), 697(Proceedings of the International Symposium on Soilless Culture and Hydroponics, 2004), pages 511-516.

Abstract: "The circulating soln. was collected and analyzed for its nutrient concn. Three types of solns. were prepd. for the bioassay. One was the circulating nutrients soln. Activated charcoal was added to second soln. The third soln. was prepd. to the analyzed formula of nutrients soln. using distd. water. The rooted cuttings of rose were planted in each soln. and incubated in the growth chamber. The rate of change of fresh wt. before and after the incubation was biggest for the prepd. soln., which does not include the circulating soln. The fresh wt. growth rate was smallest for the circulating soln., and the results for the activated charcoal treatment was between them. Since the activated charcoal does not have a sterilization effect, it is possible that the growth inhibitors accumulated in the soln. during the circulating cultivation of roses. "

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

hanging--it is usually not advised to give a new rose--especially if it is weakly--fertilizer. I'm serious about my advice above--be patient for a month and then decide if it has a problem or is beginning to perk up. Three roses planted at the same time are not necessarily going to grow at the same pace and at the same time. Just give the runt of the litter time to catch up at its own pace, and make sure it is not getting too much water.

One other question: What is the name of the rose? Is it, by chance, Happy Child? That Austin was always a slow starter for me--way behind all the other Austins. There may be other Austins that are slow starters also.

Kate

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Hanging - where are you geographically? When did you plant this rose? What to do will differ depending on the answers to these questions.

Since you say the previous rose was not taken out because it was diseased, and presuming you are not in the UK, I would agree with dublinbay - leave it alone, do not feed it, and have some patience. Giving us the answers to where and when will elicit more helpful advice.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

One more question & comment:

Question - who? What rose is it?

Comment - like others here, I have many many times replanted roses in my garden in the same place as others, and no problems. For some reason I do not understand, this is apparently a problem in the UK, but not elsewhere, absent obvious diseases.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If the other two roses are different varieties you can't compare them. Each variety of rose grows at it's own pace. That one Austin may just be one that is a slower grower and will take longer to develop. If the canes are plump and green and the leaves are not wilting the rose is fine. Just be patient with it.