Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses in a Raised Bed?

Posted by SFV4Life 10b/20 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 22:35

Greetings,
I have a 4'x4', 8" high raised bed that my son built for me from a Sunset mag plan. I grew vegetables in it for 2 seasons with only meager success. In October I turned over the soil and saw it had fungus!! So I dumped it all and the bed has sat empty since.
If I filled it with new dirt and planted bareroot roses, would that work? This location does get 6 hrs of sun. How many roses could, no, should I put in that small space - say, 4 floribundas? Or would it be more interesting to raise one huge specimen rose -- and if so, which one??
The raised bed occupies a fairly prominent place, so whatever I put there will be very visible.
Thanks!! Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses in a Raised Bed?

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 10:12

Your probably going to get different opinions so here goes mine...lol

First off what is UNDER that raised bed? Hopefully soil of some sort so the anchor roots can grow into it... ?

I myself would plant just one regular sized rose bush in a 4ft by 4ft space... flowers could be planted around the bottom of the rose if desired to feel in any empty spaces.

I would want to plant a very disease resistant rose for your area since it will be in a fairly visible area...

I can not recommend a certain rose because I have no idea what your growing conditions are like...

o

Jim, there is soil under my raised bed. The soil used to be lawn until it was pulled up last year.

Almost every rose is listed as "disease resistant" these days. That being said, I'd rather have something interesting or exotic if I can have only one bush in that space. Mildew is not a problem here since it doesn't rain from April till November ...

I was hoping for a bourbon or moss rose or something else not mass marketish. Thoughts, anybody?

o

Personally, I would plant one of the smaller tea roses there (my 'Safrano has stayed a mannerly size for over 40 years, and is gorgeous and blooms 11 months of he year) - they bloom constantly in warm climates, and you do not have to spray them. A china rose would also be a good choice (look at pictures of 'Old Blush', or 'Mutabilis') - partly it depends on what kind of rose look you like.

Or, you could build a climbing structure in the bed and plant a pillar type rose.

Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here