Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Favorite Florabunda

Kippy
10 years ago

I think we all enjoyed Kate's favorite topic for HT, so why not one for Florabundas!

My top 3

#1 Iceberg
#2 Brilliant Pink (Pink) Iceberg
#3 Julia Child

(Not enjoying the pale reverse on Burgundy Iceberg for it would have been 3 of the bergs for me)

What are your favorites?

Comments (29)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Blue for You
    Eyes for You
    Trumpeter

Kim

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Julio Iglesias!
    Very strong scent - smells heavenly.
    Carol

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

#1 Moondance! It's not only my favorite floribunda but the best all around rose that I grow. Perfect form, long last bloom, profuse bloomer in quantity and repeat, huge healthy bush, fragrant. Also I just love white roses.

#2 Black Cherry. Amazing color, healthy, handsome foliage.

#3 Cinco de Mayo. Love the changing colors, well shaped shrub, bronze foliage. My earliest bloomer and never out of bloom (except now, when it's snowing).

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

My experience with floribundas is limited, I only have a few varieties at the present time. I am beginning to realize what an asset they are, so I know there will be more in my future. Right now my three favorite are -

Love Song
    Drop Dead Red
    Sunsprite

These three bloomed good all season, with good repeat. The company I ordered my Belinda's Dream from listed it as a floribunda, but I think it's a shrub, it is truly a great rose, but officially I guess it is not a floribunda.

Pictured is Drop Dead Red

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Since I have only three floribundas, this won't be a hard choice for me, and since I posted photos of two of them just the other day, I'll just post one pic today.

1. Our Lady of Guadalupe
    2. Easter Basket
    3. Eutin (in fact, I have three Eutins!)

Eutin (Kordes)--one clustered branch kinda jutting out at its own angle (Eutin does that periodically--cut it off, plop it in a vase, and it makes a whole bouquet all by itself!)
    {{gwi:350890}}

All three of these floribundas have good BS resistance. And they love to put out tons of blooms.

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Some excellent performers for me as well: 'Eutin', the Icebergs, OLOG, 'Trumpeter', 'Julia Child'. 'Moondance' is in a dryish spot and has suffered for that.

For the past two or three years I've been bedazzled by 'Easy Does It', which has outdone Iceberg for quick repeat, if you can imagine that. Rust resistance could be better, but it's tolerable, and there's even some fragrance. The blooms just keep coming, in fact they are all (I have five) blooming now. I don't know how good it would be with black spot, maybe not great. Here's a standard of it at the Huntington:
    {{gwi:350891}}

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

LADY OF THE DAWN---Big healthy bush with nice sprays of pastel pink blooms that blend with almost anything. HANNAH GORDON---Tall, leathery foliage with beautiful blooms. HOT COCOA (liver on a stick)---Nice, full bush covered in foliage from top to bottom. Unique color blooms in nice clusters that I really like. (mine is on fortuniana rootstock. Tried it on Dr. Huey and it was a piece of junk. I've learned to try different bush's on different rootstock before giving up on it.)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Julia Child
    Love Song
    Brilliant Pink Iceberg

That's this year. It changes every season though.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Art this time, I would say these are my 3 favorites:

RUSTY - has to be one of my all-time favorites. I love the unusual rusty-maroon tones with the random lighter creamy streaks and stripes.
    {{gwi:350892}}
    {{gwi:350893}}

CAFE - such an elegant old-world looking rose. I lost my original plant earlier this yr and thankfully was able to replace it with this new baby from Berling.
    {{gwi:350894}}

KOKO LOCO - took awhile to do anything for me. Got it a few yrs ago. But now that it's gotten established (in a pot tho) it's really impressing me with these gorgeous tan/beige/mauve blooms.
    {{gwi:350895}}

Can you tell which color class is my favorite?? LOL

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Gruss an Aachen is definitely my favorite. Blooms reliably for me even though it's growing in way too much shade. Sweet fragrance and beautiful blooms of ever changing colors.

{{gwi:350896}}

After that it gets hard to pick, but I would have to say Scentimental next.

{{gwi:350897}}

And then all of the WeekâÂÂs Easy-to-Love roses (Easy Does It, Easy Going, Livin Easy, Hot Cocoa, Cinco de Mayo, Julia Child). For me, they are all very disease resistant and never out of bloom. HereâÂÂs Easy Going:

{{gwi:350898}}

One of my Easy Going bushes frequently throws some Livinâ Easy blooms and sometimes gives me a half and half, too:

{{gwi:350899}}

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 16:11

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

What a lovely bunch of rose photos, proving that "worker bees" can be beautiful, too. Easy Does It has become a favorite of mine in its short time in my garden.
    My number one flori fav has got to Julia Child, such a great rose. I also like her brighter yellow little sister, the Tantau rose, Bernstein-Rose. I have to mention Ebb Tide, too, because in spite of its fading problems, the good purples it produces are pretty spectacular.
    In case there's a person out there who hasn't seen a Julia photo, here she is in closeup. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And here is Bernstein-Rose. Diane

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Hmmm

Perfume Tiger
    Blue For You
    Pride of Oakland
    Irish Hope

OOPS! That's four

Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

Blue For You
    Lilac Charm
    Iceberg

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

1. Iceberg, it is bulletproof here.

2. Pleasure, this plant is new to my garden this year. I have seen one bloom... but it is sooo pretty.. to me.. This plant thrived despite all of my neglect this summer.

3. Easy going, I have not grown it for years, but it was stellar in this climate

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I grow mostly for cutting flowers, so I don't have too many roses for display only which is what Floibundas basically are. My favorite Floribundas are:
    -Our Lady of Guadalupe
    *Tuscan Sun
    *Honey Bouquet

*=Good for cutting

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oops, I forgot another of my very favorite floribundas, Angel Face, adorable ruffly form, lovely color and scent. Diane

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Beautiful Angel Face, Diane! AF hates my climate here, and I haven't been successful growing it. This is my second year with Angel Face's seedling, Singin the Blues, though. It was horrible its first year...blooms fried within a couple of hours of opening, but it's improved leaps and bounds this year. I'm really pleased with it now. Same ruffly blooms as AF and fragrance is heavenly, but blooms more heavily and more often and is much more disease resistant than AF for me. Tolerance for my humid heat has gotten much better its second year, so flowers are lasting much longer on the bush. Blooms last at least a week cut, too. So, if anyone else has trouble growing Angel Face, you may want to give STB a try.

Blooms are a bit pinker in the heat:

{{gwi:350903}}

{{gwi:350905}}

But very lavender in cooler weather:

{{gwi:350907}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oh, Pat, I love it. My problem with Angel Face is she has had a hard time with the awful cold temps we had last year, and probably will have with the current even worse temps. I'd like to try Singin' the Blues myself. Your photos are gorgeous, and It looks more vigorous than AF.

• amandahugg
    10 years ago

Jump for Joy
    Julia Child
    Cinco de Mayo

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Sexy Rexy is my only floribunda and I love it. One cane will give me enough blooms for a bouquet.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Cherry Parfait! This is such a big blooming machine in my garden. Just love this rose and Blueberry Hill is a favorite,too. Lesley

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I'm discovering that floribundas as a class contain some of my very favorite roses in my yard, probably because they are indeed "worker bees" as Diane puts it. So I'll agree enthusiastically with the votes for Black Cherry, Cherry Parfait, and the Easy to Love series (didn't know those were all included together as a series - thanks for mentioning it Pat Bama). Of course Beth's russet photos make me gnash my teeth in frustration and California envy, since both Rusty and Cafe have repeatedly and rapidly played fainting violet in my winters no matter the prime location or babying in winter protection. I have higher hopes for the third try at Koko Loco, but the russets are worse than the lavenders for me in winter survival. Nimbus is the closest I can come so far to those haunting russet-lavender tones, but the only pictures I have don't do that flori justice so I won't pick it as a favorite.

Anyway, I already listed some favorite floris in the Kordes thread circulating, so I won't repeat the cast iron Bad Worishofen and Champagne Moment here. Instead I'll start with the relatively less discussed Grand Duc Henri that puts out nonstop lovely spiraled flowers and seems to want to to be a 3' high self-regulating tree rose in my mailbox bed (probably because I'm trying to prune it within that range as originally reported). It's trouble free and healthy and has big fat cuttable blooms. A few of them in this shot need deadheading out, but it's such a danged frequent bloomer it's hard to keep up with it.

{{gwi:350916}}

I love the cheerful in your face stripes of Oranges and Lemons, and since it's on the "hot colors" side of my back yard, it can be as garish as it likes and still play nicely with its neighbors. It's a pretty reliable rebloomer all summer too, and I happen to like the more muted apricot that the blooms fade after they've hung on the bush a while.

{{gwi:284389}}

OK, I have to work in at least one Kordes here, and I'll add a plug for Heaven on Earth, though Solero Vigorosa and Red Ribbons are absolutely constant bloomers and groundcovers that deserve honorable mention. Heaven on Earth gets justifiable praise for the lovely fat scented blooms on a well-rounded bush that is a centerpiece of my "east side survivors". This particular shot has Yellow Submarine at the right foreground trying to steal the thunder, but once that was trimmed back Heaven on Earth that's the pink bush in the center of this shot just kept glowing and holding its own.

{{gwi:284082}}

Cynthia

• nastarana
    10 years ago

In my yard the best floribundas so far have been Pussta and Ivory Triumph.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

The fabulous floris just keep on coming. I love the sweet color of view1's Sexy Rexy. How could such a demure, ruffly rose be named that name?
    The range of color and style of bloom shown in these photos is exceptional and gives me some new roses, like Cynthia's Grand Duc Henri, to admire.
    Diane

• leezen4u
    10 years ago

1. Mardi Gras - continuous, prolific bloom; great colors as pictured here

2. Rainbow Sorbet - same great traits

3. Julia Child - fragrance and colors

Lee

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

I only have 2 floribundas: Livin Easy and Sexy Rexy. I like them both very much. I agree, the name "Sexy Rexy" is awful but the rose is really wonderful.

I am currently tearing out some lawn and putting in a new bed (this has GOT to be my last rose bed!) and I'm putting in Easy Does it. It is a very nice rose.

I generally prefer OGR's to moderns but there are some moderns I like very much.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Whoops, I forgot I have the almighty Iceberg. How could I forget?!? It is easily the most blooming, healthy, bullet-proof rose you could ask for in my climate.

I also hope to put Julia Child in the new bed.