Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drpekemom

Would it be so terribly wrong to try Glamis Castle again

DrPekeMom
10 years ago

So far, I've killed it only once, which, if you use the number of times I've killed over Pope John Paul II, is almost a success.

But seriously....is this just silly. I've mostly given up on Austins as most SoCal gardeners are likely to do, but I do have some that seem to do ok for me, and this one is *so pretty*. And it mightn't get too big.

(Especially since I'm likely to kill it off again.)

Sigh.

I keep looking at Clotilde Soupert, but she looks like the dainty type who will be miserable and demand constant special treatment.

What do you think?

Comments (8)

• buford
    10 years ago

I have two, in pots, and they stay small. It's a very nice rose. It gets blackspot here, but you should not have that problem.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Not wrong at all! If you love it go for it!

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

My neighbors have 3 and with the neglect that they suffer, they still keep blooming and living. Of course, if they would water regularly, the plants would be so much better but sometimes it goes through long periods of drought and still keeps living. I'm sure they never feed or mulch it. After a watering or a rain, it flowers.

Try Clotilde in a pot where you can water from the base. She's an easy rose to grow but don't get the buds or flowers wet or they won't open or will look browned. As long as you do this, you will have beautiful little pink bon bons all year. I think the foliage is very pretty too.

I always thought she would excel as a standard.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Dry weather did not help Clothilde open here. I got rid of mine. The flowers just never opened in any weather.

I have a garden full of Austins, they do great. 'Glamis Castle' does very well, mine is 10+ years old and 5' tall, but I recommend 'Bolero', the 2004 Romantica floribunda, which is even better, a lot better, actually.

It does matter if you are So Cal coastal or inland. Quite a lot of difference in heat and humidity between one and the other.

• DrPekeMom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in West Adams, which is just west of Downtown LA, and I've never been clear on whether that is inland or coastal. I live in a neighborhood that is calld "Mid-City" even. :)

I do have trouble with blackspot now and then when I get too ambitious with the water.

Maybe I'll try again. I'm bad with things in pots and having to water them, and you just can't forget too long here as even succulents will give up and die.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Since Glamis Castle is one of the few roses I love to hate, I would second hoovb's suggestion of Bolero, a very superior and beautiful rose. GC has truly vicious thorns, the bush form is nothing to write home about and the "scent" has been likened to that of a diaper pail.

If you like pink and very fragrant, Bishop's Castle has done very well for me in my inland location. Deep pink and not fragrant but very tough and disease-free is Sophy's Rose. One of my favorites which you'd have to buy online is the old Austin, Potter and Moore, available at Rogue Valley Nursery.

Ingrid

• DrPekeMom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All right, I have ordered Bolero instead, and told Glamis Castle to eat cake. I never got to the point where scent was an issue, given its early demise. Scent is important to me, and I'd never heard the diaper pail issue. Thanks everybody!

I've also made the decision to move Lagerfeld and give him a chance in the back bed and to replace him with Bouquet Parfait, given that I don't think Lagerfeld is getting enough light.

Here's a picture of Perfume Tiger this morning--it made me happy.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

The West Adams district would be Sunset Zone 22, so a coastal influence most (85%) of the time. Ideal for roses. Enjoy!

There are drip-kits for watering containers that you can hook up to a timer. They may or may not be helpful for your particular situation, but something to consider.