Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

KORmelaus

sandandsun
11 years ago

Now, please. I have to have it now!

I used the breeder introduction name for the link because it will no doubt be named something different here than its German name.

No photo on HMF yet, but the search engine photos!!!

Changed my mind. I want it yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: KORmelaus

Comments (17)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

What did you google it under? I couldn't find any photos anywhere.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Here you go, seil. It is a lovely rose, isn't it!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonnenwelt rose -- google images

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    11 years ago

Nice rose---looks a lot like Kordes' 'South Africa' with some reddish tint on the outer flower petal

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Wow, it sure blooms a lot!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Also looks similar to 'Eureka', another Kordes.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so glad that there won't be any competition from the West Coast to acquire it. 'Eureka' is sufficient there I'm sure since HMF says 'Eureka' is susceptible to blackspot.

So maybe not new, maybe just improved; I bet KORmelaus doesn't blackspot.

Also, there's no mention of fragrance in 'Eureka." Certainly not MODERATE fragrance!!!

And never mind the raspberry sauce. Nobody likes Melba like I do anyway.

It's mine, all mine!!!!

I never told you about it and you can't have it. It's mine I tell you. (Honestly I haven't felt like this about a plant in many years. I feel younger, much younger).

Does anyone know a rose smuggler?

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My bad! HMF says 'Eureka' has Moderate, spice fragrance.

I read it too fast!

So no one on the West Coast or blackspot free areas needs it. OK, as long as we're clear on that. I don't want to be told it's sold out.

What about that rose smuggler?

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found this rose using the link from the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's New in the World of Roses

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For you humorless types:
    You know who you are. You read something and assume that's it mean or rude rather than laughing at the humor. I'm NOT competitive. I'm not mean - you are as thinking that way reveals. All of my previous posts are in serious fun. Serious only in the sense that I REALLY do want this rose!
    And I'm not going to explain these things politely ever again. So try to remember them. I understand the futility of politeness with rude people.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Note to self:
    This is just another example of the patience required of good gardeners.
    "All good things...."

I changed my mind again. I want it three years ago so that it is already established in my garden now!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

My 'Eureka' has little to no fragrance. It has been a good but not first-rate performer. It does seem highly prone to BS, as our rainy spring made it look bad. No rust or mildew though, which is much more common here.

Sense of humor good, like sense of humor, we all need that these days. :)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Sandandsun, ask Palatine, they might be planning to add it in the future, as they carry a boatload of Kordes varieties.

I stalked and coveted AUSbrother when I saw it in a BBC Gardening magazine three years before Austin introduced it as Lady Emma Hamilton, so I know where you're coming from!

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hoovb,

But wait, there's more!
    well, we can hope so. more humor is
    indeed always good.

diane_nj,

you are funny. not actually giving in to deadly sins here. I just hope I live long enough for kormelaus to be available, get here, get established, and perform. maybe I better revise my expectations because that list makes it sound like I'm asking for too much.
    you mentioned ausbrother. I've been wondering if the "aus" at the end of kormelaus implies a use of austin roses. probably not.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

But wait! ;)

Sometimes the hybridizer's "code name" gives an indication of the parents. For example, JacSegra, which is 'Pope John Paul II' is the offspring of 'SEcret' x 'FrGRAnt Lace'. 'Fourth Of July' which is Wekroalt, is ROller Coaster x 'ALTissimo'.

I think Kordes does that as well, though what if they use a German name instead of the US name? 'Eureka' is Korsuflabe which is 'BErnstein Rose' x 'SUn FLAre'

I know David Austin doesn't do that, they use nicknames that describe a distinctive feature the rose as it goes through the development process. 'Evelyn' is Ausaucer', "saucer" describing the shape of the flower.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hoovb, you are a modern day code breaker!
    If this applies to kormelaus, then I'm still clueless. Maybe they will reveal the parents. I don't think I'll mind if they don't. I want it. I'm pretty certain it's red blooded; I don't care if it isn't a blue blood.

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

It's beautiful!