Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldblush

My Time of Year, (full bush shots)

oldblush
15 years ago

The first flush is about over and the thrips haven't ruined everything (yet).

Peggy Martin is in her second season and beginning to drape.

{{gwi:206582}}

Near, Clementina Carbonieri (out of focus), Monsieur Tillier and Sally Holmes.

{{gwi:206583}}

Red Radiance, not your typical hybrid tea.

{{gwi:206584}}

Last but not least, Perle d'Or.

{{gwi:206585}}

Comments (23)

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Peggy Martin is looking like one of the stars of your garden, Hamp. Very nice.

You're right, your 'Red Radiance' doesn't look like a typical hybrid tea at all. Beautiful blooms & nice foliage.

Looks like your "little" Perle d'Or has more tea in it and less polyantha, based upon its size! It looks very happy.

Randy

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

I love your Peggy Martin..a fountain of blooms! Great shot of Red Radiance, I just planted Radiance and am looking forward to it.

Eric

• kaye
    15 years ago

Hamp, everything looks so good and mature. I hope it's been a great spring for you as well.

• Krista_5NY
    15 years ago

Hamp, my goodness, the roses are spectacular. Wow, the Peggy Martin looks so vigorous, love the abundance of blooms and the cascading effect.

Red Radiance looks exceptional. I love my Radiance. Such a great rose, wonderful fragrance and good repeat bloom.

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Hamp, your PdO has such a beautiful shape and I like the apricot colors with the red rose in front of it. I am trying that apricot/red combination and find I really like it.

Is that alyssum in front of the Sally Holmes? The Red Radiance is really beautiful!!

Thanks for posting your lovely roses. Gean

• jbfoodie
    14 years ago

When I saw the heading '(full bush shots)' and that it was from you, Hamp, I knew the pictures and roses would be spectacular. I look forward to your 'full bush shots' every year now. All are amazing; how old is your Perle d'Or? I just started with mine and it is an itty bitty thing presently.
    Joanne

• carolfm
    14 years ago

I love your Peggy Martin but I am so incredibly grateful that I didn't try to squeeze that rose into my tiny garden. Right now, I am wondering how on earth my sweet "little" PdO is going to fit in if she is going to grow like that! You are a master gardener, a masterful pruner and a photographer extraordinaire.

Carol

• oldblush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Randy. I think Peggy is also gonna be a "hog" of the garden.

Thanks Eric. I think you'll love Red Radiance. I have most of the Radiance clan and love them all. If you've never experienced the fragrance you're in for a real treat.

Kay, thank you. Lots of the roses are mature but I just keep planting new ones (LOL).

Thank you Krista. The radiances do repeat as well as any rose I've seen.

Gean, Perle d'Or maintains its shape pretty well on its own. I do prune after each flush but not much. Any color combination in my garden is strictly coincidental. The white "flowers" are actually the wild white clover. I had some daffodils there along with some tiny larkspur that showed up unannounced. It was either leave the clover or get rid of the larkspur.

Thanks you Joanne. Perle is about 5 years old I think. It's one rose that matures gracefully (LOL). She just got larger each year and kept the mannerly shape.

Carol, thank you but I'm not a master of anything, just lucky. I do like Peggy but planting her in my garden might not have been one of the smartest decisions I've made. Just her second year and she's already acting like a bully.

• alicia7b
    14 years ago

Your roses are absolutely gorgeous. I love Peggy Martin.

• blackcatgirl
    14 years ago

:-)

My Peggy Martin does not look like that. She looks quite puny to tell you the truth and most of her buds just shriveled away. I don't have that kind of room anyhow. (self fulfilling prophecy I guess)

Your photos are stunning as always and I love seeing entire foliage and plant shots!

Thank you again for sharing. :-)

Patty

• LindyB
    14 years ago

Must keep reminding myself that roses are bigger in the south. These are gorgeous, especially Peggy Martin. Looks like I need to try some of the Radiance clan in my cutting bed.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

"Peggy Martin is in her second season . . ."

Holy smoke. What is that thing feeding on? Any missing persons or pets in your neighborhood? The local deer problem suddenly abate?

• oldblush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Alicia.

Thanks Patty. Actually I don't have the room either but with Peggy's story I just had to have the rose.

Linda, thank you. I haven't a clue why the roses grow so large here but I ain't complaining. I think you'd love the whole Radiance family. Their fragrance is unsurpassed.

Michael, maybe I should clarify. I bought Peggy from ARE and it was already a sizable plant. I planted it in the garden in the fall of '07. It put out several long canes the first full year and bloomed a little in the fall. This spring it put our lots of laterals. I have no idea what to expect in the future but I'd better keep my pruners handy.

• flowerpowereverett
    14 years ago

Your garden is fabulous, as are your photos - Green with envy here! You folks in the South sure know how to grow these beauties... :-) Ruth

• karenleigh
    14 years ago

Oh, so gorgeous! I may need Peggy Martin. And Perle d'Or is just one of my very favorite roses.

• huttnem
    14 years ago

Your Peggy Martin is inspiring. I looked her up on HMF and discovered she survived Katrina. So she's beautiful and strong. Love your 2nd shot too - those 3 roses are ones I have wished I could grow but can't due to lack of space.

• contrary_grow
    14 years ago

I love seeing your bush shots. You always make me realize that I'm definitely doing something wrong. My rose bushes are getting quite big but they have nowhere as many roses as your's have. I love your Peggy Martin. I planted one last year to grow over one of my remaining Katrina stumps, and while it's blooming quite nicely right now, it's very, very small in size. I would like it to get as big as your's. Please keep sharing your pictures - they're very inspirational.

Thanks,
    Mary

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

Peggy says her plant completely covered a three-car garage, so be warned! But actually, Dr. Welsh grows PM as well and he's got her down to a manageable bush alongside a 3- or 4-ft picket fence. That's one beauty of a rose, Hamp! This is what we built for Peggy at our house.

{{gwi:206586}}

Your photo of Perle d'Or is beautiful. May mine grow to be that beautiful. I think Carole's right - you have the touch!

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Your roses are so lovely.

I've been wanting PM ever since I read the story about her survival--

I have just the spot for her-----

Thanks for the pictures.

Florence

• oldblush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Ruth but it has to be dumb luck and maybe just the location. These roses do love our climate.

Karenleigh, if you have the room I think you need Peggy. Perle d'Or is about my favorite also. Never a problem in the world.

Huttnem, I'm space challenged also. So many roses and so little space.

Thank you Mary. My Peggy Martin is planted in the worse location in my garden and still thrives real well. Maybe she loves harsh conditions huh?

SeattleSuze, I know very well about the size possibilities of Peggy. I've talked to her on a couple of occasions. She had a pic of one that her brother grew and never pruned, scary to say the least! I think yours will love the beautiful structure you've made.

Thanks Florence. The story of Peggy was what made me have to have her although I don't have the space.

• erasmus_gw
    14 years ago

Lovely pictures. I'm glad I have a Peggy Martin. Mine's about 5" tall right now. Will have to think about this.
    I love the color and way it drapes.
    Linda

• berndoodle
    14 years ago

Oh, Hamp, thanks so much for those gorgeous shots. Peggy Martin is spectacular trailing that way. Lots of roses don't really like to trail, but it is really one of the most beautiful displays.

• User
    14 years ago

WOW your Perle d'Or is so lush I never had sucess with it stayed tiny and died everything looks so beautiful