Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldblush

Little Is Going On.

oldblush
13 years ago

The garden is resting right now. I've been "dread" heading for the past week or so. It's mighty dry here to be so early but I ain't complaining considering what has happened just to our north.

Here are a few that have been blooming lately. A rose that I wouldn't not be without.

Caldwell Pink is always late to get started.

{{gwi:209793}}

A combination that I like although don't get to see very often. Mlle Franziska Kruger and Prince Phillip.

{{gwi:209796}}

Careless Love revisited. I never know what to expect from this rose.

{{gwi:209798}}

Must have been the cool spring but Lafter, normally a stalwart, hasn't done much yet.

{{gwi:209799}}

The irises were contrary this spring also. Some didn't bloom at all and the ones that did only briefly. This is a somewhat rare yellow Louisiana Iris, Vermillion Queen (I think). Where is Brian when you need him!

{{gwi:209800}}

Comments (14)

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Hamp, your garden and your roses are amazing!

I love Caldwell Pink on your photo. But, oh my gosh, how big is that rose getting for you?! I am asking this question because I have CP growing in a 2 gallon pot right now and was thinking to plant it the front of my "coming soon new rose bed", but if it reaches the size of yours it would be way too big.

The beauty of the second photo is hard to bear. Mlle Franziska Kruger together with Prince Phillip is one of the nicest rose/clematis combinations that I have ever seen.

Love the romantic bloom shape of Careless Love.

Thanks for sharing the beauty of your garden with us here!

Christina

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Hamp, that really is a beautiful combo, the clematis with MFK, incredible colors.

I like the blue bird bath, that's really nice.

Amazing color variation on Careless Love, that's really interesting!

Beautiful iris, the blooms look so fresh.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm also shocked at the size of Caldwell Pink. I had no idea it had delusions of grandeur. Mine is only a foot tall and I thought three feet would be nice. I wasn't bargaining on ten!

Ingrid

• labrea_gw
    13 years ago

Gawgeous yes I miss Brian and his iris and gingers. That clematis is a knockout and that combo is wonderful.

• huttnem
    13 years ago

wow...I especially love pics 2 and 3. So sumptious! Are all the roses in pic 3 Careless love? Too incredible if they are. If they're not, I love the shades of salmon and red together anyway!

• armyyife
    13 years ago

So very pretty I love them all! Careless Love, are those two roses from the same bush? So neat!
    ~Meghan

• oldblush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Christina Caldwell Pink just keeps getting bigger and bigger. It is a thorny thicket that all the birds take shelter in when a hawk or cat is nearby so I don't prune it often. It's about 7 feet tall by at least 8 feet wide. Gotta get to whacking!

huttnem and Meghan, yes all three of those blooms are from the same bush, Careless Love. These three are even from the same cluster. CL often pushes out a cane that has pink blooms but I've never seen the different blooms on one cane.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

What great pictures! I really really like the shot of Mme FK with the clematis. Thank you.

Masha

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Hamp, thanks for your response. I can't believe how big Caldwell Pink is getting for you, it is really amazing! Since you are in zone 8 theoretically it should become even bigger here in zone 10. I am curious to see if mine will take off once it is planted in the ground. We have lost of hawks here and I am sure the birds would love to use it as a shelter, too.

Christina

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Well!!! If this is your "little" is going on, then I can't even imagine when your garden has a lot going on :0)

Your Caldwell Pink is Huge! My little itty bitty CP will be that thing?

BTW, I like your wood structure, what do you call that?

Audrey

• oldblush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Audrey thank you. Just wait I'll bet your Caldwell Pink will get just as large or even larger than this one. This is truly a bullet proof rose that can take anything the south can hand out.
    I've never called the wood structure but if I did I'd probably call it a pyramid of sorts. I do woodwork as another hobby and this just evolved out of my little simple mind. That's a young Christopher Marlowe along with an unknown clematis growing on this one.
    Hamp

• buffington22
    13 years ago

Hamp, Just how much do you "whack" Caldwell Pink? Mine was languishing for a few years so I moved it and planted it in a really big hole and backfilled with my compost and some manure. It is apparently very happy now. It's about 4ft wide and 3 ft tall and covered in foliage and flowers from the ground up. A very fine shrub thats a rose!

• ceterum
    13 years ago

I agree with Audrey(vuwu) if that is the 'little"... WOW! I had no idea that Caldwell's pink can grow such a huge and gorgeous bush. But I should not be surprised. Just amazed.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Hamp Your roses are amazing----Hard to pick a favorite---and I also love the blue birdbath---

Florence