Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

My Eden, William Shakespeare 2000 and Mortimer Sackler Bloom!

aimeekitty
13 years ago

These are my first blooms from these plants. :) I planted them in late January from DA bareroots. Very very happy with my choices so far (these at least, I'm pretty sure of so far!)

Eden

{{gwi:211495}}

{{gwi:211496}}

Mortimer Sackler

{{gwi:211497}}

{{gwi:211498}}

Mortimer a day or so later:

{{gwi:211500}}

William Shakespeare 2000 (be still my heart!)

{{gwi:211503}}

a day or so later:

{{gwi:211505}}

{{gwi:211507}}

Sadly, the next day it rained and shattered the bloom. Other than the buds you see here, I've been pinching off the others. Not sure how much longer I can bare to do so with how beautiful this one was. :)

{{gwi:211508}}

Lastly, here's a little Carding Mill that was a blooming gallon from Roses Unlimited. I clipped them off after taking this photo. I'll need to plant this one and Queen of Sweden soon.

{{gwi:211509}}

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I can't say I've ever paid much attention to Mortimer Sackler (maybe it's the name!) but your pictures of it are gorgeous. That's a really beautiful rose. So is WS2000 but that one at least is seen more often. The rosarians on the forum here differ as to whether blooms need to be pinched off or not. For me, if the plant is robust I don't bother, if it's weak I'll pinch of all except the first one and if it's sort of in between I pinch off half. It would be nice if someone would do a controlled study about this.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Ingrid

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ingrid, I thought photos like this (link below) were so beautiful with a more unusual petal shape and open bloom form...? so I thought it would be nice and different from the other roses I seem to like. :) (re: Mortimer)

And Thankyou! :)
    I will debate with myself for a while regarding pinching off further blooms. haha...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:211494}}

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ps, mortimer has interesting leaves.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

My Mortimer Sackler has a very informal look in that the blooms do not hold their shape--very lax bloom, but charmingly casual.

Mine is in full sun on the south side of the house--Mortimer blooms definitely crisp up during really hot weather. But I have no place to move it to, so I guess I'll have to live with that problem.

Mine is now about 4 years old (or maybe 5?)--getting to be quite a big and full bush--moreso than I expected from the Austin description. But it is in a spot where that doesn't pose a problem. It just surprises me every time I look at it--bigger and wider than I expected.

Aimee--your roses look so good! And three of my favorites!

Kate

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

William Shakespeare 2000 (be still my heart!)

LOL aimee, you are tooooo cute!

I am so, so jealous that you have Eden. I'm on the wait list for two Eden with RU. I may succumb to pressure or simple jealousy and order it from DA....what to do, what to do....

Audrey

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

I love Mortimer Sackler, vigorous grower and the blooms are so charming.

I also love William Shakespeare 2000, what a wonderful rose. Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Eden. Sigh.
    Renee

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your roses are beautiful----and in such a short time----

I loved my Eden but sady I lost it after pruning ----I was sorry to lose this beauty---

Florence

• inga007
    13 years ago

Can someone tell me, why I can't view either of aimeekitty post photos?
    I wasn't able to view them yesterday either. This has never happened before. I am very disappointed .

Inga

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone! :) I'm so happy with them! I hope I can keep them growing well! I keep worrying that I'm going to kill one or something.

Inga - I think the forums are having a lot of problems... I can't reply to some posts and such...

• cincy_city_garden
    13 years ago

Great pictures. Eden is always a beauty.

Eric