Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twohuskies

Pretty Pinks

twohuskies
14 years ago

Everything in my garden is blooming now and I've been out taking hundreds of photos. I thought it would be fun to share some of my pinks with you.

a plant swap pass along that I believe to be Banshee. True to Banshee form this rose suckers like mad and balls in wet weather. Hardy to the tips after a very long and cold winter. Dug up and moved this huge monster from the garden out front to the far corner of the backyard where it can be pretty for a few weeks and then disappear behind the raspberry bushes.

{{gwi:214357}}

Chapeau du Napoleon

{{gwi:214358}}

I love La Reine's wonderful fragrance.

{{gwi:214359}}

I was enabled into getting Vick's Caprice by Celeste. She can be very dangerous when she starts praising a rose. This one is a keeper. Thanks Celeste!!

{{gwi:214360}}

Konigin von Danemark is a wonderful cold zone rose. One of only a few roses that doesn't kill down to the ground each year in my garden. And she smells fabulous. Look at how big she is.

{{gwi:214361}}

Last year I purchased a potted Rosa Mundi that had partially reverted back to Apothecary. Now I have both all together in one shrub.

Apothecary

{{gwi:214362}}

Rosa Mundi

{{gwi:214363}}

Comments (16)

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Those pictures make me want to move! Wonderful roses.

Masha

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! I love your KVD. I just got one this weekend and gave it plenty of space, but maybe not enough!

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Great looking roses. What nice, subtle striping on your 'Vick's Caprice'. Has any part of the bush ever sported back to 'Archiduchesse Elisabeth d'Autriche'? My whole plant did.
    I really like your "two-for" plant of Apothocary & Rosa Mundi!

Randy

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Thank you for a wonderful glimpse of roses that I can't grow. Reine Victoria looks especially luscious. Good photography too.

Ingrid

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

Beautiful pics! I'm inspired by Vick's Caprice and your gorgeous Konigin.

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

twohuskies, I always fall for pinks. Your roses are very lovely. My absolute favorite though is Chapeau du Napoleon, which seems to be a moss rose, when I am not mistaken. Your specimen of Koenigin von Daenemark is also very stunning.

Thanks for posting!

• duchesse_nalabama
    14 years ago

those are beautiful. what a treat to have rosa mundi and apothecary on the same bush.

• twohuskies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kristin - my KvD is around 6' tall by at least 6' wide. I skipped the pruning last year but she may get trimmed back after her blooms fade away. Her fragrance wafts through the air.. You will love her.

Randy - my Vick's Caprice was planted last year so nope, no reversion yet. I really like those subtle stripes so I hope it stays just the way it is :)

Yep, I quite like my Apothecary/Rosa Mundi rose. I can imagine that little guy growing into a nice sized plant dotted with a few striped blooms here and a few solids there.

• User
    14 years ago

Terrific shots and wonderful examples of each rose.

• cemeteryrose
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I think the "luscious" rose is La Reine, not Reine Victoria (supposedly "La" wasn't originally in the name).

These pinks are terrific. I love them all, and really appreciate the fact that they are cold-hardy and oh, so beautiful.
    Anita

• oldblush
    14 years ago

Those are some great pictures of some beautiful roses. I don't know which I like best but Châpeau de Napoléon is right up there at the top. Then again, your Königin von Dänemark is awesome! I so wish I could grow these beauties.
    Thanks for sharing your roses with us.
    Hamp

• bellegallica
    14 years ago

All your pictures are great.

I, too, love Vick's Caprice/Archduchess Elizabeth. I bought two. The first was definitely striped, but died. My second has only given the solid pink flowers of the original, but I still love it. To my untrained eye it has a Portland look to it, and thornless. Just wish the fragrance was a little stronger.

• Krista_5NY
    14 years ago

I love the pink roses, wonderful pictures.

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Your pink roses are wonderful-----I was wondering how you prune Queen of Denmark or do you just let her do what she wants ?----

Mine is sprawling all over the place--I watched Paul's video and I was thinking of trying one of his suggestions.

Florence

• twohuskies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Florence - my Queen is maybe 5 years old and I know for sure the last 2 years I've only removed winter damage. I'm thinking it's time to cut her back a bit. I should check out Paul's video as well - I'm sure his advice would be just perfect for both of our roses.

• finesseindia_com_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Nice page to follow up. I love thos pink flowers very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antiques

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!