Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

My new old and austin roses (put in the ground last spring and su

birdwing
12 years ago

I wasn't sure of the protocol so I'm posting here rather than on the forum..that and my enthusiasm will probably make me guilty of over posting photos. I would like people who gave me answers and encouragement last spring to see these though so do I need to let people know somehow that I've put these on the gallery..?

Mme Hardy

{{gwi:214726}}

Fantin Latour

{{gwi:214728}}

Charles De mills (next 3..)

{{gwi:214786}}

{{gwi:214787}}

{{gwi:214788}}

Cardinal Richelieu

{{gwi:214789}}

{{gwi:214790}}

{{gwi:214791}}

Winchester Cathedral

{{gwi:214792}}

{{gwi:214793}}

Tuscany Superb

{{gwi:214795}}

Louise Odier

{{gwi:214796}}

Quadra (I know it's not at all antique or old but the form is reminiscent-with the reflexed center-and this rose has performed so amazingly that I thought it was worth posting. We put these in the ground in may 2010 as 1 ft plants)

{{gwi:214797}}

{{gwi:214798}}

{{gwi:214799}}

{{gwi:214800}}

General garden..

{{gwi:214801}}

{{gwi:214802}}

{{gwi:214803}}

{{gwi:214804}}

Comments (21)

• kristin_flower
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice! You have a very charming garden.

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

Lovely roses - lovely garden. Thanks for sharing.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

You can never post too many photos if they look anything like this. Your roses are beautiful. I love Cardinal R. and Quadra is just amazing! All of that in two years? I think your arbor with the bird house is so cool. And you have a greenhouse! The colors you have chosen are so pretty, I love the dark reds with the pinks and whites. Any time you want to post more, please please do!
    Renee

• birdwing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! I do have a bunch more photos but like I said I didn't want to bombard people...There is a little Wren family currently living in that birdhouse on the arbor. They're cute as can be but if I spend too much time around the arbor tending to Quadra they get a little p.o'ed! Not even 2 years actually! all of the roses here were planted last spring (2010) I'm blown away by all of them but mostly by Charles De Mills, Quadra and Rose de Rescht. All of these are 10 times their size and I'm not exaggerating. The only sad thing is that Quadra has almost no scent. That rose is unbelievable ..it's covered that arbor in one year. We call the greenhouse a bluehouse..Even here though it's way too hot for plants in it after about early april..So we take the windows off and use it for lounging..not that we have much time for that, but it's nice to think about it..

• blendguy
    12 years ago

What a very lovely garden!! It has such character and soul, it's so charming.

I love the photos of the roses, so many of them look deep and luscious, I'd have a hard time not spending every moment with my nose stuck into one of those roses.

I love the birdhouse, and it's especially nice that a nice wren family has taken up residence. It's so important to keep the wildlife in mind when building our gardens, I find the tits and finches at my house out each day gobbling up the aphids, and I just read that blackbirds eat snails and snugs... bless them!

I hope you'll add more photos to the thread.. bring 'em on!

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Your garden is so beautiful, lush green and lovely blooms. Loved the arbor, bird house. Would love to see your other pictures too.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Your roses are truly gorgeous, and I'm really amazed at how fast they've grown so large. I'm jealous. Your pictures of Charles de Mills are especially beautiful. Please don't hesitate to post more photos. We never get tired of pictures of roses!

Ingrid

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

You certainly have posted some nice photos of very beautiful roses here! I especially like Charles de Mills. The growth that Quadra has put on in just one year is really amazing. She looks very lovely on the arbor.

You garden is very pretty and I am with others, I would love to see more photos of it.

Thanks for posting!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

I love your garden----it is so charming and welcoming---If the birds love it then its perfect for me--
    Your roses are gorgeous----and the photography is wonderful.--

Please post more pictures------it was like taking a walk through heaven

I'll be waiting for your next post

Florence

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Totally gorgeous, Birdwing. I vote for another thread with more photos.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• birdwing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's so gratifying to hear all of your thoughtful comments about my garden. It's one of the things that makes it worthwhile, especially because I know all of you know how much work it is! Really, thank you.

Blend guy, your garden and especially your photography are amazing. I saw your thread just after I posted mine. I was struck by your comment about trying to capture the color of the dark roses and how most cameras can't convey that color...I've been unable to take a photo that captures either Tuscany superb or Cardinal Richelieu.

I'm in love with these roses but a couple in particular have made me swoon..
    (excessive coverage of both..)

La Reine

{{gwi:214805}}
    {{gwi:214806}}

{{gwi:214807}}
    {{gwi:214808}}
    {{gwi:214809}}
    Charles De Mills
    {{gwi:214810}}
    {{gwi:214811}}
    {{gwi:214812}}
    Misc Garden
    {{gwi:214814}}
    {{gwi:214816}}
    {{gwi:214818}}
    Front Garden with side of neighbor's house..
    {{gwi:214820}}
    {{gwi:214821}}
    {{gwi:214822}}
    Christopher Marlowe
    {{gwi:214823}}
    {{gwi:214824}}
    it fades to pink
    {{gwi:214825}}
    Fisherman's Friend
    {{gwi:214826}}
    {{gwi:214827}}
    Lady Emma and Geoff Hamilton, respectively
    {{gwi:214828}}
    {{gwi:214829}}
    Camaieux
    {{gwi:214830}}
    {{gwi:214831}}
    Dark Lady, Brother Cadfael, Sven and Rose de Rescht (left to right)
    {{gwi:214832}}
    Another favorite non-antique new this year. 'Sven' the flowers are around an inch in diameter..just lovely.
    {{gwi:214833}}
    {{gwi:214834}}

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

I love your pictures. Your garden is a beautiful combination of textures and colors, with it looks like a woodland or trees at the edge. That is my favorite setting. There were several roses I hadn't seen before, so was glad to see Sven and Quadra. I hope my Charles de Mills grows into the lovely thing you've posted as well. Really pretty birdwing!

• birdwing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you harborrose. It's my favorite kind of garden too! The garden does have a 'woodland' feel on the edges I think so it feels private. The thing most people find crazy though is that we're in the middle of the city. Downtown Saint Paul is about 5 blocks away. We're also as close to the Mississippi. Our house is on the bluff and so everything is sloped and hilly. Our yard is around a half acre but we're also landlocked-there's no drive in access to the yard so everything you see had to be carried up and in!

• birdwing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Should I have made a new thread for the second set of photos?

• monarda_gw
    12 years ago

Incredibly beautiful!

• le_jardin_of_roses
    12 years ago

Yes, a new thread for the second set of photos would have been best.

Your garden is charming and the photos convey a sense of coolness and abundance. A bit of a storybook feel. I almost expect Hansel and Gretel to be there! Your roses are very lovely. I especially love your gallica roses. Thank you for a view of an enchanting garden.

Juliet

• jeannie2009
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness. I dont have the words to express the joy that your pictures have given me. Thank you so much.
    Lush is the word that speaks to me as I continue to review your pics.
    You certainly have the magic touch.
    I particularly love the green house and the curtains within. Nice touch. So romantic.
    Thank you.
    Jeannie

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Yes, new thread so that we don't miss a thing next time. I was back visiting the old thread when I found the new photos. Just wonderful. I have saved your photo of Quadra for future inspiration. Love your gray kitty- he has a great face and expression. The reds and pinks in your garden are so romantic and peaceful.

• birdwing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh! thank you so much all.

Hosenemesis, regarding our kitty, he is in fact very romantic himself-i.e moody and prone to posing near roses he thinks compliment his coloring.
    thank you for all your gracious comments.

Jeannie..this kind of appreciation makes it all worthwhile! I especially love that so many of you are from the glorious west coast and especially northern west coast. Some of the most incredible gardens I've ever seen have been in these places.

Where is your garden Le Jardin? It sounds right up my alley. I have always had various fairytales, children's stories in my minds eye when dreaming of and making my gardens.

Monarda, both my 21 year old son and my best friend live in Brooklyn! umm, I mean, not together..thank goodness!...anyway, I love love love brooklyn gardens and yours sounds so lovely. Thanks to all.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    12 years ago

Dear Birdwing, I'm not surprised that you love fairytales and children's stories for there is an air of that to your garden. I also love fairytales as well and I remember in many of my favorite books as a child, gardens were mentioned in the stories. I do try to add some of that charm to my garden as well. I have a small garden, but for me, it is a place of enchantment. I will post more photos in the near future. I do have a thread on this gallery right now called 'Royalty In The Garden'. :)

Juliet

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Beautiful garden and lovely pics, (sweet looking kitty!).

La Reine is one of my favorite Hybrid Perpetuals, great rose.

I hope to add Brother Cadfael to the garden next year.