Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Some More from the Garden

remy_gw
15 years ago

Hi All,

A few new bloomers have begun since last posting.

Bow Bells and a shot down the back end of the driveway beyond. Please ignore my garden work. : )

{{gwi:214977}}

Belle Isis has begun to bloom.

{{gwi:214978}}

Ok, bad photo, but guess who this is.

{{gwi:214979}}

You won't believe it, but it is Clotilde Soupert full of beautiful blooms, not one balled!

{{gwi:214980}}

Here's Mme. Ernest Calvat.

{{gwi:214981}}

Here's a baptisia and Mme. Legras de St. Germain.

{{gwi:194933}}

A closer shot of a bloom.

{{gwi:214982}}

Here's Souvenir de la Malmaison.

{{gwi:214983}}

Gruss an Aachen's first bloom is smushed between all the buds!

{{gwi:214984}}

The entrance to the veggie garden has change a lot in just a few days. Belle De Crecy has started and Marie Pavie is full of blooms.

{{gwi:214985}}

This bloom of Belle de Crecy hasn't turned purple yet, but I just loved the button center.

{{gwi:214987}}

On the other side Fantin Latour has also become full of blooms.

{{gwi:214988}}

{{gwi:214989}}

Lastly, here's Sammie with the unknown climber out front.

{{gwi:214990}}

Remy

Comments (22)

• chary68
    15 years ago

Beautiful! And the pup is very cute.

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Remy, you are a true gardener. The plant combinations and your rose choices are awesome.

Where do I start? Okay, how about 'Bow Bells'. Wow, that's a beauty.

Belle Isis. No wonder that rose has been so popular throughout the years.

I have no idea what the while rose is, but it is incredible. I'll throw something out, in an effort to get you to tell us what it is ... Frau Karl Druschki (I have no clue)?

If only my Clotilde Soupert had looked like yours ... perfect. I totally loved the plant itself, but couldn't take the dirty-brown, balled-up blooms any longer. From the looks of your plant, I should have given it longer to prove itself.

It's easy for me to take SdlM for granted, because I always expect it to look perfect. Your photo is one more example of why I expect perfection in that rose. Excellent.

Your Gruss an Aachen bloom looks so cozy, snuggled up with all those buds.

Marie Pavie looks great in that garden setting. Very nice scene.

Which all leads me to the biggest and the best ... your Fantin Latour. That is one giant piece of perfection. I didn't know it could grow so large.

Randy

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

These are so beautiful! Thank you!

• User
    15 years ago

It's a treat to see these all bright and fresh rather than crisped or boiled. The baptisia alba combo is wonderful!

• carla17
    15 years ago

You have some fine looking roses Remy. I like seeing those that I don't grow. They are all truly beautiful.

Carla

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chary,
    Thanks, I love my Sammie. She is a sweetie. I got her from the SPCA. She was just skin and bones when I got her. I don't know how some people can be so cruel to animals.

Randy,
    You are too kind as usual : )
    The white rose close up is of Mme. Legras de St. Germain.
    Gruss is looking pretty happy this year. She got smashed down by a snow slide off the front porch roof. Maybe I should just whack her down early every spring to simulate the same experience, lol.
    I swear if I didn't have proof to show it no one would believe a non-balling Clotilde exists, lol.
    Fantin is just too huge. I had to run rope through a bunch of it because the weight of all the blooms. I know, such problems I have, lol. I really do need to whack it back though after the bloom is over.

Mendocino,
    thanks!

Labrea,
    I am still amazed at how just a few degrees affects the out come of how the roses look.
    I planted both the baptisia and alba when I didn't know as much about gardening(and believe me I'm still learning!) Now, I wonder if I planned for the bloom combo or not, because much of what I did then, I wonder what the heck was I thinking, lol.
    Remy

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Beautiful shots Remy! I love Bow Bells and your shot of Clotilde Soupert and the garden gate. They're all lovely. I feel like I should know what your white rose is with the streaks of rose on the bud, but a name isn't coming to the surface. Your Fantin Latour is magnificent.

• luanne
    15 years ago

Remy if all your garden work makes roses that look like this consider it excsused. You could talk a person into Clothilde Soupert. I just planted a Gruss--no buds yet. It is Randy's fault of course. Your edging is very pretty. Nice to see so many healthy happy ogrs.
    la

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Remy----Your roses are amazing------they all look so dreamy-----

I 'm having a problem trying to pick which one I like the best-----

I'm really enjoying this post

Thanks,

Florence-

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Luanne ... 'bout time you got a Gruss rose in your garden :-)

Randy

• luanne
    15 years ago

Randy--the pressure was just too intense. Thank you. I actually had one years ago that I loved but it reverted to a pink rootstock unless it was sporting. I didn't know what sporting was at the time.
    la

• Krista_5NY
    15 years ago

Remy, your garden is wonderful. It looks like a great place to relax and stroll around in.

Is it Clotilde in the third pic?

• twohuskies
    15 years ago

You have a beautiful garden and a very nice variety of roses. Sammie is precious sitting in the chair enjoying his view. That Fantin Latour - all I can say is WOW! what a looker.

• huttnem
    15 years ago

I love the contrast of Marie Pavie amidst all that green, especially the vine on the arbor. And then Belle De Crecy is the perfect color punch. And your Fantin Latour - wow!

• oldblush
    15 years ago

Wow, your garden is so pretty. Fantin Latour is eyepoping beautiful. I've never seen a rose so full of blooms.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Sorry, I haven't been back to comment. It has been crazy here!
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments. : )
    I wish you all could be here to see Fantin in full bloom. If anyone is ever passing by Buffalo/Niagara Falls in June, you know you are welcome to stop by.

Alicia and Krista,
    The third photo is a shot of most of Clotilde. The fourth is a close up of Clotilde. She often has a touch of red at the edge. She is also odd in that her fall blooms are much more pink than the spring so she looks like a totally different rose then.
    Remy

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Remy, I'm drooling, jealous and green with envy for your lovely, mature garden. It's wonderful. The roses you can grow are fantastic. The next one is better than the last, and all are gorgeous.

Sherry

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

Hi Remy,
    Thanks for the comments on my morning glories. I am scatterbrained, and recognize your name, but couldn't remember your garden or threads you have posted, so I did a search of your name. First, I looked at your page, which I enjoyed, and some of your photobucket pictures. I thought someone here mentioned a way a person could look up posts by an individual. When I put your name in, I got all kinds of threads by different people, and not in any order of time.

I was pleased to find this, though, because you posted this about the time I started reading and posting. These are nice photos, and lovely flowers. I only have one rose, and it's in a washtub. I put it there, because I didn't like where it was in the ground, and I really don't know how to take care of roses. I should learn, but I need to find a kind that doesn't require the antifungal treatments many need.

I like to get my yellow lab in garden photos, too. Yours looks to have a similar pose mine frequently does, relaxed, but on the watch.

Sue

• jumbojimmy
    15 years ago

They all look beautiful!!

Which one of them is the most fragrant?

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sue,
    I haven't posted pics on the Cottage Garden forum in some time. I lost all my summer photos that I never uploaded when my old computer went to computer heaven. Though I've started taking more again.
    Thanks for the comments. I don't spray my roses. Most of them stay pretty darn nice into fall. A few were affected by all the rain this year, but most are just fine. It can be difficult to find old roses or good shrubs locally though. Seems most of the ones they sell locally are black spot magnets. So I've had to mail order many of mine.

Jimmy,
    All the roses in this post do smell wonderful. I would have to say though Mme. Legras is my favorite smelling rose. Mme. Ernest Calvat has a very strong scent, but Hansa has a more garden pervasive scent because of the sheer quantity of bloom.
    Here's a shot of it in the back southwest corner of my veggie garden.
    {{gwi:214991}}
    Remy

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

"Alicia and Krista,
    The third photo is a shot of most of Clotilde. The fourth is a close up of Clotilde. She often has a touch of red at the edge. She is also odd in that her fall blooms are much more pink than the spring so she looks like a totally different rose then.
    Remy"

Boy is my face red! lol I have that rose, but I just got it this spring. I've noticed what you said about the color changing with the seasons -- the blooms were pure white this summer and pink now. This fall there are some dark pink spots on some of the blooms as though someone had splattered watercolor paint on them. Very pretty.

Your Mme Ernest Calvat is magnificant!

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

The Hansa too. :)