"Moser House Shed Rose"

{{gwi:215171}}
Bouquet Parfait even if it did spot this spring

{{gwi:215172}}
Mme Lambard [I voted Blanche Belgique off the island to include this workhorse]

{{gwi:215173}}
Verdun [tough choice: this poly or Charles de Mills]

{{gwi:215174}}

I dunno about anyone else, but Top 10 is too few for me to include everything I really adore. I don't really love them all, but I do love plenty more - Nevada and Marguerite Hilling, Francis E. Lester was spectacular, Blanche Belgique, Charles de Mills, Rosa nutkana, Guadalupe Volunteer, Plaisanterie - it goes on and on.

--

Cass

Comments (16)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh goodness. Bouquet Parfait is exactly what it says it is, and Moser House Shed Rose has such pretty flowers, little cups.

And your photo of R. sericea f. pteracantha is outstanding.

Renee

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Cass!!! I'm speechless ... which doesn't happen often, BTW. These photos are GORGEOUS! As I was reading your list, I was mentally editing my own. All of these are wonderful.

Connie

• vettin
    13 years ago

Stunning!! Are these your photos? What a dream garden. What in the world do you do for them - food etc?

Thank for the beautiful photos - and an introduction to some roses I had never heard of.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Truly spectacular. The amount of bloom you have is astounding. Verdun is a knockout and Belinda's dream is my dream too. I understand it's a great hot-weather rose, perfect for me.

Your pictures are a real inspiration.

Ingrid

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're all so nice. These roses grow in my garden and were shot there. If you knew how little care they get, it would make you sick. We don't have to contend with fungal disease of a regular basis. Don't get me wrong. It does strike, but it's unusual. So what do I have to do to care for my roses? I started with dirt ruined and compressed by the contractors who build our home. I bought, for lack of a better word, a comprehensive soils report from a local PhD chemist who works for the wine industry. I follow his recommendations to the letter. At the time of planting, I follow his recipe of 6 amendments + lime + organic matter. After planting, I throw some agricultural pure nitrogen fertilizer (calcium nitrate) at them once a year in March, also as recommended. I toss out some gypsum every few winters, as recommended. I prune every few years - some get it every year because they love to feel the steel, others never get it, the others get it when the spirit moves me. I water. I weed.

I've planted my roses so they can grow to their expected size. Mine is a garden with roses, not a rose garden. I omitted my many duds and mistakes.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Berndoodle, where do you live? The third photo shows a beautiful pastoral scene behind your roses.

Juliet

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's my neighbor's pinot noir. I live in wine country, Sonoma County.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Berndoodle, thanks for posting. I really enjoyed looking at your roses. Gean

• huttnem
    13 years ago

Wow, they are so beautiful. Your pic of Le Vesuve looks 3 dimensional! Moser House Shed and Bouquet Parfait are wonderful. Thank you for posting great shots of great roses.

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Wow, the Glendora is spectacular, love the color of Verdun.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Only in my dreams could I have roses that look like this. Totally breath taking. Thank you very much for sharing them. Yes, they are truly inspiring. Beautiful!

• jon_in_wessex
    13 years ago

Excellent, Cass. A real pleasure to see!

Jon

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Absolutely wonderful----

Florence

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

What a luscious treat! Such bounty and vivid color. And to think I could have had Verdun at Lowe's. Dang, I could kick myself! They're all winners. Thank you for sharing them, Cass.

Sherry

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Back for another look at Bouquet Parfait and friends. Moser House Shed Rose is looking even prettier than I remembered.
    Renee

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

I don't pop over to the Gallery very often, but I'm glad I did today. Really nice pictures of really nice roses. Not much overlap with mine, just Glendora. (Belinda's Dream was completely wretched here.) I've just planted a couple of your others this past year and look forward to great things from them, having seen yours.

Rosefolly