Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndoodle

My next 20 or so favorite roses

berndoodle
13 years ago

I'm on a roll. These are in no particular order. I apologize to those who are offended by modern roses. I don't care whether it's old or new, just so it's clean, healthy, vigorous and floriferous.

Charles de Mills

{{gwi:215178}}
Plaisanterie. I must learn how to prune it this coming winter.

{{gwi:215179}}
Francis E. Lester. Wowsers.

{{gwi:215180}}
"Old Town Novato," found HP.

{{gwi:215181}}
Outta the Blue, a garden workhorse here, but subject to blackspot in wet weather.

{{gwi:215183}}
Thalia, sporting a pink cane. It's a rough shot, taken into the sun.

{{gwi:215184}}
Darlow's Enigma screening the propane tank

{{gwi:215185}}
The Faun/Bossa Nova, one of the finest small shrub roses I know.

{{gwi:215186}}
Sophia Renaissance

{{gwi:215187}}
William Allen Richardson. This one doesn't even get fertilizer.

{{gwi:215188}}
"Bermuda Anna Oliver" which finishes as badly as any rose I know but it flowers all the time.

{{gwi:215189}}
Sweet Chariot

{{gwi:215190}}
Tapis Volant

{{gwi:215191}}
Too Cute, another great polyantha.

{{gwi:215192}}
Guadalupe Volunteer, shot with a big drop of water on the lens. Don't try this at home. It's a terrible idea.

{{gwi:215193}}
White Maman Cochet. I adore my Teas, which I've neglected. They deserve better.

Distant Drums

Golden Century, finally coming into its own after 4 years of growing.

And, just for laughs, a volunteer seedling proving the hybrid multifloras love it here and will grow without irrigation.

Comments (42)

• elemire
    13 years ago

Lovely photos, it is so nice to see whole plant! :D

Golden Century is so pretty, I would never guessed it is a mini!

Distant Drums are on my wish list too, just nobody seems to sell it here in EU! What is that dark purple rose in front of it?

Plaisanterie is a big shrub, isn't it? :D But she is a lovely rose, with very unusual parentage.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

WOW! What a garden! Will you do another 30? You are so lucky to have room to let your roses get big. They all look wonderful.

What is the purple rose in the Distant Drums shot?

Also, in your previous posting, how many plants of Portland from Glendora are there on that picture (don't tell me only one:-))?

Thanks a lot for posting those gorgeous pictures

Masha

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Absolutely and completely FABULOUS!!! What a treasure trove of roses you have. I must admit, I'm in LOVE with Charles de Mills. Berndoodle, you got me captivated with these. This is what the Gallery is meant for and I thank you most kindly, for giving us a glimpse of your pretty world.

Juliet

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The poiple next to Distant Drums it Tom Carruth's amazing Midnight Blue. I don't have any decent shots of the whole plant. It's located in the western part of the garden, so morning shots are backlit. By the afternoon, the blooms can be ruined by the sun.
    {{gwi:215200}}

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

love those bush shots, thank you. I especially enjoyed seeing your White Maman Cochet. just beautiful.

• elemire
    13 years ago

That is a very rich color of the Midnight blue! Lovely rose!

• huttnem
    13 years ago

Those are just incredibly floriferous and loverly. Charles de Mills - words cannot express. It probably wouldn't do well in the Sacramento area. sigh

• gnabonnand
    13 years ago

Nice photos, every one.
    Your 'Charles de Mills' is so good looking!

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Doggoneit, I forgot three. BTW, I'm fairly sure that Charles de Mills does just fine in Sacramento, but check with the Historic Rose Garden in the Old City Cemetery. It goes happily in Mill Valley, too.

How could I forget Mutabilis?
    {{gwi:215201}}
    Raymond Privat, a squirrelly rose. Like the soils completely neutral, not too acid, not too alkali. My plant in cool, foggy Mill Valley is incredibly happy.
    {{gwi:215202}}
    Sydonie, another very good rose, flanked by "Old Town Novato"="Jay's Hudson Crimson." Somes call Sydonie a Damask Perpetual. I think this rose is a Hybrid Perpetual, a renamed old rose.
    {{gwi:215203}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

All of your pictures are just great. The roses look very happy to be blooming away the way they are. I'd be glad to look at any more you would care to share. Thanks for posting. The picture with The Faun is quite nice and intriguing. How big is that bush, approximately?

• judith5bmontreal
    13 years ago

Your roses are just spectacular! I can only dream of having a garden so full of blooms as yours.....please, keep them coming!
    Judith

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Faun as a very well-mannered, tidy small rose. I'm going to guess 24" high, 30 or 36" wide. That's without pruning. It will be pruned this coming winter.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm amazed how lush and beautiful your roses are at this time of the year. It's a really spectacular group, with many roses that I really admire. Your gardens as a whole must be so spectacular.

Ingrid

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ingrid, I wouldn't want to deceive you. These aren't shots of my roses right now. I didn't think I suggested they were, but if I did, let me be clear. These are shots of roses at their best, and their best is almost always the spring flush.

• shropshire_lad
    13 years ago

What beautiful roses! I absolutely love your 'Sophia Renaissance.' I am thinking about getting her. How does she perform? Is she fragrant? Where did you buy her from? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really excited to see that someone is growing this rose that I want so badly!)

• User
    13 years ago

Gorgeous I love midnight blue it's one of my favorite moderns

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shropshire_lad, Sophia Renaissance is very healthy and vigorous. It blooms like a Hybrid Tea, with out the same schedule. It's not as floriferous as a Tea or China. The blooms have a slight fragrance. I received it as a mislabeled rose from a Canadian nursery. It's a patented rose.

I've read that in cold climates, it's knee high. Here, it's well over 6 feet even though I prune it to about 30 or 36 inches each winter. The foliage is resistant to every fungal disease I've encountered in my west coast garden: powdery mildew, rust, blackspot, anthracnose, and botrytis.

• shropshire_lad
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info, berndoodle! I definitely ordering one next year!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for these wonderful glimpses of how roses can really reach their potential with the right rosarian and the right climate. Francis E. Lester - Wowsers indeed! I esp. loved the shot of Sophia Ren. against that clay colored background - scrumptious and so very Tuscan! If you could see my same roses, you'd laugh - my Sweet Chariot is a mere speck compared to yours. The only rose I have that could hold its own against your shots is Sydonie, isn't that interesting? Of course, although yours and mine look similarly covered in bloom, yours is probably twice the size...but I'm enjoying my illusion, LOL. Thanks again, I enjoyed looking,
    Anne

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness---these roses are fantastic----thank you so much for sharing these gorgeous pictures.

Florence

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Just came back again right before bedtime, to assure sweet dreams...
    Renee

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

I feel like I spent the day with you in your garden. Thanks so much for breathtaking tour. Any chance of a video some time? :))

Sherry

• ndkk
    13 years ago

Wow, your roses are spectacular! About how old are they?

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In rose years, most are teenagers, ndkk: from 5 to 7 years old. The oldest is 10 years old.

• susan4952
    13 years ago

soooo beautiful. I am MOVING to zone 10!!!!

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I keep looking at this thread! So beautiful!

I'm curious though, what do you mean by Guadalupe Volunteer, "Don't try this at home" did you mean the water on the lens, or having a GV growing up your house?

• elemire
    13 years ago

I am quite certain it is the house part to be concerned, I remember Jeri pics of it, I think in full glory it would need a space a size of my entire garden. :D

You get to take this sort of warnings seriously though, once you get a rose that throws 30+ feet long canes in a season. :D

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

These photos are breathtaking. Charles de Mills is so ruffley and beautiful. Like the others, I am now a fan of Midnight Blue!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm so glad this came up again. A feast for the eyes. Can I be just a tiny bit jealous?

Ingrid

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Oh wow!!!! Berndoodle, I am full blown jealous! Now I know I will never have the guts to post pictures here. It would be way too humiliating. However, in case I change my mind, what kind of camera do I need? Mine seems to be junk.

Thanks,
    Kitty

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kitty Kitty Kitty. Each of us needs to grow the roses that love our location. Trust me on this: many fabulous, lush, hardy once-blooming roses you can grow in Zone 4 don't like this part of Californ-eye-ay. Their canes burn, they go dormant too soon, and they generally look down-at-the-heels -disreputable. I've probably thrown away more roses than most people grow in my quest for the ones that love my garden. Trial and error, mostly error.

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

O.k. Berndoodle,
    I probably shouldn't reply in my state of no sleep, PMS and a glass of wine or two at dinner. However, I can't seem to help myself. Your Kitty Kitty Kitty, made me laugh. In a good way. However, let me ask you this, if you could only grow once bloomers that bloomed for a couple weeks a year or, you could grow amazingly gorgeous roses that bloomed your whole growing season with just a little pain twice a year, what would you do? Oh, what about my camera question? I hope I don't sound like a brat. I truly do respect your opinion.
    Thanks,
    Kitty

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Kitty. I get it, I really do. I only grow a handful of roses that grow in Zone 4a. Lemme look. Blanche Belgique, Royal Blush, poor William Baffin, Russelliana, Doubloons, Long John Silver, Harison's Yellow, Rosa davurica. Not many. So I don't know jack. ;o)

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Hi Berndoodle,
    I felt kind of embarassed after my last reply. Your responding to it made me feel better. You obviously know jack. I mean look at your garden. I can be a bit stubborn when I feel like I can't do something (pretty immature for someone my age). I guess I'm stubborn about getting older too. O.k. once again I'm leaving too much info. I'm glad you listed your roses for my zone. I'm going to check them out now.
    Thanks,
    Kitty

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

Wow. Thank you for posting.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

So happy this post came up again-----It was a treat to see all these beauties this morning.

Thanks again---
    Florence

• jerome
    13 years ago

Your photos are stunning as always. I loved looking at them. White Maman Cochet is a great rose! Ann Oliver looks like my Etoile de Lyon...and it does finish badly...but it's a great rose. Your pics make me want to get Old Town Novato. Take care!

• 5400jana
    13 years ago

Hi, these your two posts about your best roses are just highlights of this year, thank you very much. I will surely try some. I already grow Bouquet Parfait, a florist's dream, retaining beautiful foliage long into fall in my conditions, as well as Iceberg that is still flowering this time.

• mauirose
    13 years ago

i don't suppose you have a next 30 or so favorites....

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

Amazing! Some of the best full plant shots I've seen. Your plants certainly like it there.

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

Cass, This is the first time I've looked at this post. What a pleasure.

• sanrosa
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I came upon this thread by goggling Sweet Chariot, which I just ordered after longing for it for a while.
    Your lovely Distant Drums photo is the first that makes me think I may want to try it.
    Mutabilis is truly the butterfly rose -- your photo describes it perfectly.
    Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!